Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

who's happy they purchased the extra warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't buy one for my Roadster. Had it out of warranty for four years. Glad I didn't buy one; I saved a lot of money that way.

Our Signature Model S was out of warranty for 3 years. No warranty was the way to go there too.

Haven't had any of the more recent cars out of warranty yet...

As whitex says, it depends on whether your out-of-warranty expenses are more or less than what Tesla charges for the warranty. It will be more for some, less for others, and there is no way to know in advance which group you will be in. So I view it like insurance...if you can't afford to fix/replace it on your own, you should buy insurance. If you can afford to fix/replace it on your own, financially you are likely to be better off self-insuring...but if worries about future expenditures keep you up at night, it can still be worth getting for the peace of mind.

I didn't buy one for my Roadster. Had it out of warranty for four years. Glad I didn't buy one; I saved a lot of money that way.

Our Signature Model S was out of warranty for 3 years. No warranty was the way to go there too.

Haven't had any of the more recent cars out of warranty yet...

As whitex says, it depends on whether your out-of-warranty expenses are more or less than what Tesla charges for the warranty. It will be more for some, less for others, and there is no way to know in advance which group you will be in. So I view it like insurance...if you can't afford to fix/replace it on your own, you should buy insurance. If you can afford to fix/replace it on your own, financially you are likely to be better off self-insuring...but if worries about future expenditures keep you up at night, it can still be worth getting for the peace of mind.

it's so hit n miss with these cars.

mine is 5 years old and I spend more time and effort trying to get things fixed. i have just under 11 months left of warranty. i think i would have been in for over $6000 in repairs already...so the $3000 for 3 years really paid off.
it's funny because i was really really close to not buying it and was almost having buyers remorse until all the probs started.

I'm gonna get a Model 3 next and hope to get a good one

I'm still glad I bought it, even though I'm a few years away from it even kicking in. Have just had too many issues so far, and now I hear about MCU freezes happening on 4-5 year old cars. So I'm expecting it will pay for itself by year 8.

my display screens both recently got the bubbles in the screen.
i hope when they change out the 17 inch screen that the MCU is attached?

raise your hands!!!

I did for my 2012 Model S and 2017 Model X and still waiting for the offer for 2017 Model 3.

I have no problems with 2017 Model S and 2018 Model 3 now.

As you know, your screen can go bad after your warranty ran out. That's what happened to my 2012 Model S. It was fine for the warranty period and the screen had to wait for warranty expiration to go bad!

Also, heater and cooler seem to be a favorite to go bad after your warranty runs out.

I had only 3 problems in my 2012 Model S and I came out ahead!

Maybe there's a timer for things to go bad!