Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's putting front license plates on their M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Oregon, on my current S, and soon arriving P3D, I have a suction cup license plate holder that I only put on when I park at a downtown parking meter. In Oregon, the meter readers will write you a ticket for no front plate while parked, even if you have paid for parking! Otherwise, I never have it on and have never had an issue. Was even stopped for speeding once (got off with a warning) and the officer didn't even say anything or notice and he clocked me from the front. It's just too ugly to have it on such beautiful cars all the time!

Reactions: ℬête Noire
You’re supposed to have front plates in California. You can get a fix it ticket and police have a reason to pull you over without one. That being said, I never had problems on my old car.

I’m debating about my future Model 3. Aesthetically, it might almost look better to have something break up the plain/ no-grill look.

I’ve seen motorized plate holders that pull the plate below the front of the car which look great but get poor reviews for reliability. I might try that if I can find a good one.

In the past 2 years, all 3 of my cars have been ticketed while in SF for no front plate, while parked. The SJ officer who signed off on them said that SF had been cracking down, just her station alone gets nearly 100 fix-its a month from SF.

Now, unfortunately, my wife will not drive into the City without a front plate, and since she goes 4 times a week, "her" Mod 3 has to wear a front plate :(

In the past 2 years, all 3 of my cars have been ticketed while in SF for no front plate, while parked. The SJ officer who signed off on them said that SF had been cracking down, just her station alone gets nearly 100 fix-its a month from SF.

Now, unfortunately, my wife will not drive into the City without a front plate, and since she goes 4 times a week, "her" Mod 3 has to wear a front plate :(
here in europe front plates are mandatory everywhere you go.....

actually makes sense with all the radar traps.

I'm thinking that I'll probably keep front plates off the 3 as long as I can.

My 2000 BMW 323, on the other hand, has had a front plate for as long as I've owned it:

3MMQXX3

Embedded within is the year of the car (MM=2000) and model (3XX3=323) but has a second message for the car in front of me.

here in europe front plates are mandatory everywhere you go.....

actually makes sense with all the radar traps.
Here in Australia too, I think the RHD models will have to have some sort of plate holder from factory.

In WA we need it and I installed the Bandit - which uses the grill at the bottom and doesn't drill any holes. It also doesnt block the airflow to cool the batteries. https://www.1975creations.com/product-page/tesla-model-3-front-license-plate-bracket
Thats not a bad solution, until some bump parking twat backs into it.

I've never had a front license plate, and I've had many cars and lived in NY, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. Over a 30 year period I've received only one warning for a front plate violation. Frankly, the gendarmes have more important things to do.

So my 3 will not have a front plate or a front plate holder.