TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Who's putting front license plates on their M3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by scottman71, Aug 7, 2018.

1. scottman71

scottman71 Member

I've noticed most S and X owners do not put the front plates on (at least in California). Curious how many Californians will not be putting plates on the front -- and what, if any, ramifications are there for not doing so?

2. pdxrunr

pdxrunr Member

In Oregon, on my current S, and soon arriving P3D, I have a suction cup license plate holder that I only put on when I park at a downtown parking meter. In Oregon, the meter readers will write you a ticket for no front plate while parked, even if you have paid for parking! Otherwise, I never have it on and have never had an issue. Was even stopped for speeding once (got off with a warning) and the officer didn't even say anything or notice and he clocked me from the front. It's just too ugly to have it on such beautiful cars all the time!

3. pdxrunr

pdxrunr Member

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

• Like x 1
  5. Koflach

Koflach Member

By law, I have no choice but to put a license plate on the front of my vehicle. I will not be using the mount that Tesla provides though, I bought the BozzMount from Slybrackets. Now I just need an M3 to put it on...

6. scottman71

scottman71 Member

Fantastic. Thanks!

7. ftlum

ftlum Member

You’re supposed to have front plates in California. You can get a fix it ticket and police have a reason to pull you over without one. That being said, I never had problems on my old car.

I’m debating about my future Model 3. Aesthetically, it might almost look better to have something break up the plain/ no-grill look.

I’ve seen motorized plate holders that pull the plate below the front of the car which look great but get poor reviews for reliability. I might try that if I can find a good one.

8. mmccking

mmccking Member

In the past 2 years, all 3 of my cars have been ticketed while in SF for no front plate, while parked. The SJ officer who signed off on them said that SF had been cracking down, just her station alone gets nearly 100 fix-its a month from SF.

Now, unfortunately, my wife will not drive into the City without a front plate, and since she goes 4 times a week, "her" Mod 3 has to wear a front plate :(

9. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I put a front plate on my Model 3. But then I again I put one on my Model S as well. -shrug- I guess I'm just not that thingy about my cars.

10. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

here in europe front plates are mandatory everywhere you go.....

actually makes sense with all the radar traps.

11. RayK

RayK Member

I'm thinking that I'll probably keep front plates off the 3 as long as I can.

My 2000 BMW 323, on the other hand, has had a front plate for as long as I've owned it:

3MMQXX3

Embedded within is the year of the car (MM=2000) and model (3XX3=323) but has a second message for the car in front of me.

12. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

This is a great idea. Does the suction hold the license plate pretty well? I plan to only put it on when I park in SF, but if I forget to take it off, will the suction be strong enough to hold the license plate on?

13. jelly

jelly Member

Why aren't you using the Tesla one?

14. bahree

bahree Member

15. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

Here in Australia too, I think the RHD models will have to have some sort of plate holder from factory.

Thats not a bad solution, until some bump parking twat backs into it.

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I've never had a front license plate, and I've had many cars and lived in NY, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. Over a 30 year period I've received only one warning for a front plate violation. Frankly, the gendarmes have more important things to do.

So my 3 will not have a front plate or a front plate holder.

17. MRinPDX

MRinPDX New Member

Thank you! Great suggestion. I was wondering about things in OR as well. I don't see any S or X with plates and was wondering if they don't pull us over for missing plates.