Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's tinted their windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my eyes, the Photosync looks very similar to Crystalline. It looks brown to you; to me, both Photosync and Crystalline look green. Llumar, Suntec and Xpel ceramic tints look neutral. And as you say, I think the aesthetics outweigh any practical heat deflection advantage of Photosync and Crystalline.

Yes.. Crystalline also looks more translucent, and less private... Maybe the color contributes to this. My Pinnacle at 35 seemed so much darker then crystalline at 40.

I got 25% on the sides and rear. It looks amazing and still has good visibility at night. If anyone’s in eastern PA and looking for a good shop, let me know. Mine was done in a day and cost under $400 using Suntek film.
Where did you get it done? I'm looking for a tint shop that will do the whole back window in the southeastern PA area.

40% on sides, front and back and one piece on back windshield at 50%. 3M crystaline. Just in case anyone was wondering how much it cost in the bay area... $1200 for the tint at OCDetailing. The other brand of tint was about $300 cheaper. Good work though.

View attachment 294593 View attachment 294594

Looks good, how dark does the rear roof (where already factory tinted) end up being with the 50%? Can you still see out it pretty well?

Huper vs Llumar vs Rayno?

I'm looking for both front and back wide windows as well as full rear. I'm be quoted about equal in price on the Llumar CTX30 vs Rayno S9 (S5 is a little cheaper). Huper Optik Nano-Ceramic 30 is about $200 more. Anyone have any opinions they would like to share? I would appreciate the input!

Working with my tint guy now. Hearing issues with the rear glass as it could crack. Thoughts? My guy is very good and very experienced. He is awaiting a word back from Llumar Tech Support, they say the Teslas are very interesting, and a very big no no to tint windshield so I will hold off for now.

414CC857-FCD0-49C5-9F5B-0BD273955270.jpeg
Got my windows done today.
Rear Windows: 5%
Front Windows: 35%
All Ceramic Tint
Only $525 at Quality Tinting in San Luis Obispo, CA
Best price I’ve seen in California so far

Xpel Prime Ceramic 30% around! Not too dark not too light. Great at night. Back is one full piece

Attachments

• 990CB8C5-A1F6-42D2-8317-8EF6B00152F0.jpeg
    990CB8C5-A1F6-42D2-8317-8EF6B00152F0.jpeg
    683.4 KB · Views: 347
  • 8773C436-8A7E-42F2-96F5-CBD853A4482D.jpeg
    8773C436-8A7E-42F2-96F5-CBD853A4482D.jpeg
    782.5 KB · Views: 352
  • E9BBB3B0-1B40-4AC9-819C-9BDF159E445A.jpeg
    E9BBB3B0-1B40-4AC9-819C-9BDF159E445A.jpeg
    628.3 KB · Views: 336
I was hearing issue with water to the front ECU behind the dash. But my guy has a new solution to protect the dash, once this product is in we’ll hit the windshield with some tint. This new product supposedly has less water to the windshield as also covers the dash.

I just had the windshield done. car drove home OK. anything I should look for to determine if I have an issue

I was talking to a tint installer who said he no longer installed ceramic tint because he was sick of the complaints about it interfering with the radio and cell phone performance. Is this true?

You need to avoid that tint installer. He's either lying, or installs the crappiest "ceramic" tint ever (probably not even ceramic tint).

Why no no on the windshield?

It's not legal in most (all?) states. I believe some/many/all tint manufacturers require it to be legal for warranty purposes. There's also been reports that unless you take precautions, the water can screw up the electronics of a Model 3 when installing on the windshield. It's all about liability, basically.

You tint the outside of the rear window?

if I want to stay compliant what would go well with 70% on the front windows?

No, you cut and shrink from the outside then you install inside. I wanna say California does not allow any tint in the front windows, however if you go light enough the law will sometimes will look the other way. On a regular day you will be ticketed for tinted front windows.

I need advice plz... When talking to my tint installer I asked for the back to be tinted in 1 piece, after I pick the car up I notice its in 2 pieces along the defrost line with a section of the defrost line missing. Take it back and he states I never requested 1 piece and his manufacturer doesn't make a 60" roll of film and for me to find who does and he will order and retint, also the defrost line is intact its just where the seam is. So I do, and he keeps the car for 3 full days due to complications and when I get the car back I notice the defrost line is still missing in those same places as well as a few unsightly scratches in the film... Should I ask for him to replace the defrost line and a full refund so I can take the car to someone who knows what they are doing? Oh and he scratched the chrome trim on both sides due to the windows being extended, those are on order at 380 ea and should be in next week so I have to tread lightly until I get the chrome pieces.. what a nightmare