Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's tinted their windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for those of you who have gotten tinted windows on the M3, question: opening the doors will move the windows up and down a smidge, does that affect the tint installation? I believe you can't roll the windows down after install for a few days, right? Thanks!

Not if the tint installers are used to dealing with cars that do this (almost all luxury cars have this feature). I asked my tint shop how they did it and they showed me a really simple way... they just used a wooden dowel to push on the door latch so the door thought it was closed and rolled up the window. After that they could get the entire glass area. No rolling down of windows for a few days, I just left my car outside in the sun after getting it tinted and it was fine 24 hours later.

• Informative
Reactions: ggumz
Got mine tinted at Signature Glass in Costa Mesa. Thanks to those in this thread who referred them, I was shopping around for a week or so and they seemed to have best reviews and competitive pricing. Went with 15% ceramic tint on all four sides and back, love it!

Attachments

• 305A894B-1E51-4E89-946E-AE75C5B749E3.jpeg
    305A894B-1E51-4E89-946E-AE75C5B749E3.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 674
You had your work done at Signature? Are they doing sunroofs and windshields again? Went I went the owner had sworn off doing either due to cracking? Interesting.
Yes at signature. Had to sign a waiver. They said if it cracked I would have to go to Tesla for replacement. I thought that was fair, I trust Tesla would cover the replacement. I signed, no issues with cracks for me.

Maybe I shouldn’t be posting this but I feel sorry for you guys paying over $500+ for tinting all windows except the windshield.
I found a gem in my neighborhood who did my car for under $400.

Edwin the owner of Silverlake Tint shop does business windows during the day and takes car after that. He works crazy hour. I had a graduation party to attend the night I dropped off my car (4pm) and he was done midway through the event but he waited until midnight for me to pick up my car. Got the 35% film.

He does use LLumar ceramic one piece film on the back window/roof. I’ve used LLumar on my previous cars for the last 20 years and no issues with them fading or changing colors whatsoever. My 2001 Jetta which I sold last month had Lumar 35% film. Still looks great for 17 year old tint.

Look Edwin up and tell him Paolo sent you. Maybe I’ll get a discount for a protective wrap.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/qm5yxrkO0N

360B5330-BBD1-49E2-AF06-C6B3D3B65196.jpeg

9E963985-0AD6-4A2B-ABA8-08FE7143F94E.jpeg

CC12808B-5207-49F8-BACA-9BA8A9A83140.jpeg

Reactions: MrABRanch
Here's my new Model 3 with Llumar FormulaOne Stratos window tint:
- 70% for the windshield
- 35% on sides and back
- Nothing on the roof, due to concerns about cracking

($450 for sides and back, $200 for windshield)

Attachments

• 2018-06-24 14.15.56.jpg
    2018-06-24 14.15.56.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 647
  • 2018-06-24 14.16.05.jpg
    2018-06-24 14.16.05.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 617
  • 2018-06-24 14.16.12.jpg
    2018-06-24 14.16.12.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 627
Reactions: Sneakerhead
Can anyone recommend a good place to get a tint and ceramic coating, (maybe a front bra ppf also) in the Inland Empire area of So Cal? Obviously prefer Tesla experienced and solid ceramic films.
Accutintpro.com in Upland has done a bunch of Model 3's, but it seems like he is using Ceramic Hybrid (from his website) even though he does offer a full ceramic version. He has Model 3 pics and pricing on his website.

Keeep it legal guys. My sister is an attorney and has seen people with illegal tints lose their homes. If you have an accident and someone is hurt your insurance company will abandon you of the proper grounds that they do not cover vehicles modded outside the vehicle code. An injury or death accident with illegal tint (negligence) may cost you millions. She told me some get jail time, like the guy who hit and killed a kid on a bike. 9 years in jail, lost his home as well. Keep it safe and legal.
I know this may come across as annoying and argumentative, and it isn't meant that way. It is a pet peeve of mine, and I firmly believe that words matter. ESPECIALLY as it pertains to our laws and lawyering.

"Accident" Should not be used as the catch-all term for things that go bump on the road. These are crashes, collisions, wrecks. There are precious few accidents. And the biggie is a crash that happens due to negligence (most of them, by far). These crashes are never accidents.

If a crash is caused by DUI, by speeding, by inattention, by lack of skill, by tinted windows.... it is not an accident.

Tons more to say on the subject, and why so many national and global safety orgs are no longer using "accident" to mean crash. But I'll do my best to stop here!

Now... back to tinting and not crashing!

Reactions: SageBrush
I got 25% on the sides and rear. It looks amazing and still has good visibility at night. If anyone’s in eastern PA and looking for a good shop, let me know. Mine was done in a day and cost under $400 using Suntek film.

Contact info please! :)

Having a tough time finding a reasonable shop here in NJ... was this a 1-piece rear or two? Also which SunTek film if you happen to know...Thanks!

Attachments

• SunTek Tint.pdf
    109.9 KB · Views: 89