Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's tinted their windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got mine tinted with Wincos film. 35% for rear windshield and back side passenger, 45% for 2 front windows. The rear was done with 1 piece and just barely fit. Altogether $450.

Attachments

• 20180305_221101.jpg
    20180305_221101.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 1,198
Curious about the rear window tint as well. I don't really want to have "double tint" on the upper portion of the back window. I had seen someone that just added tint to the top of the defroster lines. But I'd love to hear more about what others are doing.

If you get a lighter tint, it will look close to factory from the inside. I have mine at 35% VLT for the entire rear and didnt tint the top sunroof over the driver seat. I don't notice a difference between the 2. But from the outside, it does make the rear a bit more dark for privacy. I mainly got the tint to block out heat though. It seems like the top room glass is already tinted and coated to block IR/UV so tinting the top isnt really required.

View attachment 281473 View attachment 281474 View attachment 281475 View attachment 281476 Here’s some pictures of my 3 with 25% Suntek tint all around. The rear window film extends from the base of the window until the end of the defroster and antenna lines (just after the factory tint transition begins).

From the exterior, you cannot see the line. From any seated position in the car, you cannot see a line. Looking back you can see a line, but no one will notice except you!
can you elaborate on what you mean by 'antenna lines?' Are you referring to the rear window lines? I thought those were heaters.. I could be wrong haha

Keeep it legal guys. My sister is an attorney and has seen people with illegal tints lose their homes. If you have an accident and someone is hurt your insurance company will abandon you of the proper grounds that they do not cover vehicles modded outside the vehicle code. An injury or death accident with illegal tint (negligence) may cost you millions. She told me some get jail time, like the guy who hit and killed a kid on a bike. 9 years in jail, lost his home as well. Keep it safe and legal.

For those who tint the front window, do you experience any issues while wearing polarized sunglasses?

If you are referencing the front windshield, then to a certain degree wearing polarized lenses will show some rainbowing on the top of the windshield from certain angles. This is usually more visible when you are looking up at the top band of approximately 4-6 inches of the windshield. Looking straight through tends to not show this effect. Also, the darker your polarized glasses, the more rainbow effect you will see on the top of the windshield.

If you are referencing the front windshield, then to a certain degree wearing polarized lenses will show some rainbowing on the top of the windshield from certain angles. This is usually more visible when you are looking up at the top band of approximately 4-6 inches of the windshield. Looking straight through tends to not show this effect. Also, the darker your polarized glasses, the more rainbow effect you will see on the top of the windshield.

Thanks! Yes I meant windshield. Not sure why I'm struggling with this decision, maybe because I've never done it before. Anyone have opinions on this that they would be willing to share? I'm in San Diego area. Thanks

Thanks! Yes I meant windshield. Not sure why I'm struggling with this decision, maybe because I've never done it before. Anyone have opinions on this that they would be willing to share? I'm in San Diego area. Thanks
Hey Boludo, I'm in C'bad and am getting my whole 3 tinted on Wednesday, including the windshield. I made the decision on the windshield tint based on the tablet. I figure if the tint can keep a little heat off the tablet it will be a good thing. I've heard of rainbow effects while using polarized sunglasses, but I don't need to wear polarized sunglasses while driving my 3, so it is not a big deal to me.

Hey Boludo, I'm in C'bad and am getting my whole 3 tinted on Wednesday, including the windshield. I made the decision on the windshield tint based on the tablet. I figure if the tint can keep a little heat off the tablet it will be a good thing. I've heard of rainbow effects while using polarized sunglasses, but I don't need to wear polarized sunglasses while driving my 3, so it is not a big deal to me.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking into a few quotes right now. Do you mind sharing who is doing it for you, what you are getting, and how much. Feel free to DM me if more comfortable. I'm also in Carlsbad/San Marcos area.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking into a few quotes right now. Do you mind sharing who is doing it for you, what you are getting, and how much. Feel free to DM me if more comfortable. I'm also in Carlsbad/San Marcos area.
I sent you a PM as I don't want to advertise for a company until I'm happy with the work. If guy i chose turns out to be a total maniac, I don't want others to give him business. ;)

Minimal rainbowing with polarized sunglasses. The reduced glare through he windshield with Photosync 75 is quite noticeable and worth the cost of installation. Which is saying something.

Consider, also at Extreme Autowerks, their C-Bond exterior windshield treatment to reduce the impact of rocks and such. Since replacing the windshield is a drag and then having to replace the tint even worse. Good warranty with that C-Bond product as well.

I attempted to have my Model3 tinted (4 doors and rear glass) by a local shop who told me proudly they are the busiest and highest regarded 3M authorized installer in the area..... that 3M sends their engineers to this shop. Even though no 3M pattern exists yet, they said they'd be able to cut it by hand so they ordered a 60" roll.

Ninety minutes and 3 tries on the rear glass later, they couldn't get the shrinking to work right and there were all these creases and wrinkles. So they took it off at my request, and I was told they'd do research and get back to me. Several days later, the best they could tell me was that they didn't find anything useful and the only way they could do it was to cut the rear glass' tint in to strips and line this up with invisible seams but they didn't want to do that since it would be an inferior installation job.

To those who have had the back window tinted (either the entire glass or up to the factory tint on top), can you give me any information about how your tinter got the bottom of the rear glass to shrink and curve correctly in a single piece? The area covering the defroster lines, I mean.

Any advice or info is useful! Thank you.

Just had Model 3 tinted with 3m Crystalline on the side windows and the rear. I went with 40 all around. I did not tint the roof window or the windshield. The roof seems dark enough and I haven't noticed any heat. As for the windshield, since it is illegal in Florida I didn't do it. Would have liked to have done the crystalline 70 or 90 up there, but I didn't want the liability.

As for the rear window, they did it as one piece. I am not certain how they did it, but they specialize in Tesla's. You could contact them (First Impression, Sarasota). Results shown in pic. Also, had them do Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating which I am very happy with.

Attachments

• 4rTbX49jSZOIl2C86TY4%w.jpg
    4rTbX49jSZOIl2C86TY4%w.jpg
    865.7 KB · Views: 1,098
View attachment 281473 View attachment 281474 View attachment 281475 View attachment 281476 Here’s some pictures of my 3 with 25% Suntek tint all around. The rear window film extends from the base of the window until the end of the defroster and antenna lines (just after the factory tint transition begins).

From the exterior, you cannot see the line. From any seated position in the car, you cannot see a line. Looking back you can see a line, but no one will notice except you!

the white really helps to give the Model 3 some much needed stretch. The black version almost locks too squished with a small snut and small rearend...