Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's tinted their windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny you mention this... I've had both on my 3. Using a TES meter on different days...

Out of car -- 943 W/m2
XR Plus 15% Windows -- 15.3 W/m2
XR Plus 15% Rear where it is already dark -- 1.9 W/m2

Out of car -- 759.2 W/m2
Photosync 35% Windows -- 31.8 W/m2
Photosync 35% Rear where it was already dark -- .7 W/m2

Obviously it isn't scientific, not the same day, not the same angles, etc.. but to give you an idea. Pricing was about the same for both.
Help me understand these numbers better for I am on the same fence with xpel xr plus and photosync. However I would do 35 all around and 70 or 75 on the windshield. Which one do you like better. $150 separates the price between the two. Not much in my opinion. 700 (xr plus) vs 850 (photosync)

I recently got llumar Stratos on my model 3. When I inquired about get a one piece for the large back rear window at 30% They said they could do it. However when I picked it up today, the tint was only up to the defrost line.
I asked why they didn’t do the whole back window, they said that the heat rejection would be too much for the window to handle and would crack if it was covered all the way. They said could replace the stratos with the classic llumar tint all the way due to the lower heat rejection.

Has anyone have Stratos on their car with a full one piece tint for the rear back window (not stopping at the defrost line) with no issues with cracks due to heat from the sun?

I recently got llumar Stratos on my model 3. When I inquired about get a one piece for the large back rear window at 30% They said they could do it. However when I picked it up today, the tint was only up to the defrost line.
I asked why they didn’t do the whole back window, they said that the heat rejection would be too much for the window to handle and would crack if it was covered all the way. They said could replace the stratos with the classic llumar tint all the way due to the lower heat rejection.

Has anyone have Stratos on their car with a full one piece tint for the rear back window (not stopping at the defrost line) with no issues with cracks due to heat from the sun?

The place I got my 3 tinted also said they would not do stratos as one piece on the rear due to cracking concerns. They were able to do pinnacle 30 no problem. I think it may be that stratos is harder to install on that larger piece of glass.

Did 15% all 5 windows ( one piece rear ). I have white interior. Privacy is what i mainly wanted with 15% maybe i could've went 30% front 15% Rear to be more safe of a fix it ticket :D
image1 (7).jpeg

Looking for suggestions on % tint. I live in FL and having shopped around a little I think I am going to go to the Tesla Studio in Tampa, they are on here with some good looking work and reviews seem good. Price is on par or a little under most.
I am getting side windows and back tinted with Xpel XR plus and front bumper paint protection. Not going to do the windshield, I wear sunglasses most of the time and from what I have read there can be complications with that. Also it costs more lol.
Suggestions on % for FL? 35 all around etc. I do like a darker look on tint but still want to be legal and see well at night. Thanks!
Also my car is blue if that makes a difference.

The place I got my 3 tinted also said they would not do stratos as one piece on the rear due to cracking concerns. They were able to do pinnacle 30 no problem. I think it may be that stratos is harder to install on that larger piece of glass.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll see if they can do the Pinnacle 30. Otherwise I might just keep the Stratos even with the noticable line. Did you get the pinnacle on the side windows too?

Follow-up question for windshield tinters. I can't remember which forum, but I saw someone getting the windshield tinted and it looked like they were installing the film on the outside. Is that normal? What did your shop do for your windshield? I'm looking to get 70% up front but a little wary of long term durability on the outside.

Tinters lay tint on outside of window to trim and form the tint to the contours of the window. Much easier and quicker to do on the outside. Then once the tint is shaped and trimmed then they will proceed to lay the tint on the inside of the window.