Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's tinted their windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A11A3D30-A672-4910-BF03-ED28298930E2.jpeg 35% Xpel on front two doors, 20% on back two doors and back glass, 70% IR film on windshield.

I wanted to tint as the car was always running the fan in the summer sun. Problem was that I don't like the look, had a couple with a Brand New TM3 pull up next to me and tried to wave "Hey we have a Tesla too", but I almost couldn't see them thru the tint. Feared they were stalkers!

Came across these roof shades on Amazon that caused me to give them a chance.
71DAGGuQmsL._SL1500_.jpg

Turns out to solve many of my summertime issues AND they can easily be removed. No longer feel the sunburn on my bald head. In the spring and fall, I can remove the silver reflective part so I can see out w/o the sun bleaching. Then remove them when the sun is no longer a daily issue. Whodathunkit?

Reactions: elf9
I wanted to tint as the car was always running the fan in the summer sun. Problem was that I don't like the look, had a couple with a Brand New TM3 pull up next to me and tried to wave "Hey we have a Tesla too", but I almost couldn't see them thru the tint. Feared they were stalkers!

View attachment 442156
Turns out to solve many of my summertime issues AND they can easily be removed. No longer feel the sunburn on my bald head. In the spring and fall, I can remove the silver reflective part so I can see out w/o the sun bleaching. Then remove them when the sun is no longer a daily issue. Whodathunkit?

bought these for the AZ Sun, but they're see thru. Might buy yours since they're opaque right?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RSXKCM4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 441442 35% Xpel on front two doors, 20% on back two doors and back glass, 70% IR film on windshield.

What kind of interior temps are you seeing mid day after parking the car for 15 minutes or so? I know tint isn’t going to drastically keep a car cool while parked long term, but I’m curious how good it is at slowing down how fast it heats up. Trying to figure if I’ve been driving with a cool cabin and then go into the store for 15 to 20 minutes, is the cabin back at like 105F or has it only warmed up to like 85F or so...

Also, anyone have any cracking issues? I was all ready to tint with Xpel and then started reading issues about cracking & Tesla starting to push back a little that the tint could potentially act as a reason for them to deny warranty repairs. (Not sure if they have for anyone yet, but sounds like they’ve started to threaten)

What kind of interior temps are you seeing mid day after parking the car for 15 minutes or so? I know tint isn’t going to drastically keep a car cool while parked long term, but I’m curious how good it is at slowing down how fast it heats up. Trying to figure if I’ve been driving with a cool cabin and then go into the store for 15 to 20 minutes, is the cabin back at like 105F or has it only warmed up to like 85F or so...

Also, anyone have any cracking issues? I was all ready to tint with Xpel and then started reading issues about cracking & Tesla starting to push back a little that the tint could potentially act as a reason for them to deny warranty repairs. (Not sure if they have for anyone yet, but sounds like they’ve started to threaten)

why would tint causing cracking??

why would tint causing cracking??

The tint actually absorbs a lot of the solar energy so it may be heating the glass up a lot more then it was originally designed or tested for. That combined with stresses being transferred through that glass just with normal driving could be leading to cracking issues. Or... it could just be a Tesla quality issue and the fact that it's happened on a bunch of tinted windows could be completely unrelated.

If you look at the specs of most tints (and specifically the high quality Xpel stuff) a large majority (like 2/3 or more) of the "rejected solar energy" is being absorbed by the tint material (and then transferred to the glass since there is a physical connection between the film and glass) and the rest is being reflected back.

View attachment 442156

You can put on 3M 60% and in most situations you'd never know it's there and it blocks almost all UV and lot of IR.

I’m not sure. I’ll be able to answer that this weekend. The car sits out in the heat (currently 99 outside) from about 8am to 5pm.

At home it’s in a garage but I’ll be able to say for sure how temps do in mid day this weekend.

I’ll argue that tint will never cause good glass to crack. I’m hardly an expert. But I don’t believe for one second that tint will cause a crack. Faulty glass however...

I’m not sure. I’ll be able to answer that this weekend. The car sits out in the heat (currently 99 outside) from about 8am to 5pm.

At home it’s in a garage but I’ll be able to say for sure how temps do in mid day this weekend.

I’ll argue that tint will never cause good glass to crack. I’m hardly an expert. But I don’t believe for one second that tint will cause a crack. Faulty glass however...

That's the big question with Tesla :p

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I see all the great tint jobs and moments but can anyone weigh in on price for ceramic tints on side windows and one piece rear? I live in the northeast (CT) and it seems like every installer in New England wants to charge over $700 for window tints. This seems a bit high since local tint shops quote me $150 for the cheap stuff they have in stock. I also looked up getting the ceramic tints precut on amazon which is listed for under $100. what am I missing?

I see all the great tint jobs and moments but can anyone weigh in on price for ceramic tints on side windows and one piece rear? I live in the northeast (CT) and it seems like every installer in New England wants to charge over $700 for window tints. This seems a bit high since local tint shops quote me $150 for the cheap stuff they have in stock. I also looked up getting the ceramic tints precut on amazon which is listed for under $100. what am I missing?

I’m paying about $950 for all side windows and front windshield with Xpel XR+ ceramic film.

Different story in sunny and HOT climates - it's rough without tint. Did you see my post about clear film products for glass & windshields?

Oh, believe me, it's sunny and hot here in the summertime as well.... enough days in the 90's - even had a spell with heat indexes over 115 this year - that it matters. But the laws are the laws... and I'm not interested in getting harassed over tinting.

Think about it - we swing from a heat index of 115 in July to a wind chill of -20 in the winter. That's a 135 degree swing annually.... really the worst of all worlds!

I didn't see anything about clear films - I'll go look it up. Thanks!