TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who's used Slime?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by XLR8OR, Jun 19, 2016.

1. XLR8OR

XLR8OR Member

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has first-hand experience using TPM-compatible Slime on their car and/or the sidewall plug repair kits. I'm comfortable without a spare, having had high-end BMWs with run-flats (no panacea, but they will get you to someplace safe). However, once I take delivery of my 90D next month I plan to take a number of road trips in the West, and my concern is getting a flat in the middle of East Nowhere with no cell coverage, which sounds pretty close to the definition of SOL.

What has been your experience?

Many thanks,

2. idoco

idoco Member

Two flats with Slime experience. One with a simple nail worked fine. One with a piece of metal that was about 2x2"....not so fine. You might also want to consider a tire plug kit in addition. (Small jack, breaker bar with socket, and vice-grip plyers helpful, but not always necessary.)

• Informative x 1
  3. msnow

msnow Active Member

I bought (but haven't yet needed) the Tesla air compressor that comes with the flat tire "slime". Definitely worth the $50 for me.

4. cab

cab Member

I've used tire plugs on various cars, and prefer them to most options except a real spare of course. Given the size of the Tesla' storage area, an actual full size spare might be worth considering for peace of mind on long trips. It's not just getting somewhere...it's hoping they have the right size tire in stock (or available quickly) when you get there too.

5. flyeyes

flyeyes Member

#5 flyeyes, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    image.jpeg

I've used it recently, with excellent results.

I picked up a nail in a front tire, on the highway about halfway between memphis and pearl, MS. More than 100 miles from a supercharger and more than 300 from a service center.

I didn't have a plug kit with me (I'm very comfortable plugging tired but never used the slime before).

The slime kit from Amazon worked perfectly. It took about 5 minutes.

I was going to plug the tire at my earliest opportunity, but got busy and distracted and have now put over 1500 miles on the tire without plugging it or even adding air. TPMS working fine.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I've only had one flat in the past 22 years I've owned my other vehicle (Toyota pickup). And of course when I had the flat I found the spare was flat...

When I bought the S I also bought a spare wheel and tire and the stuff needed to do a tire change. All that only goes in the car if I'm going very far from home.

7. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

• Like x 1
  8. XLR8OR

XLR8OR Member

FlatSix, I know about the Tesla repair kit, but am interested in practical experience using it or something similar. Flyeyes, I appreciate your story. Thanks.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Seeing @FlatSix911's photo got me thinking...I wonder what the shelf life is on the slime. I've had it for two years. Used a plug on the one flat I got. The idea of getting that crud all over the inside of wheel stopped me from using it first.

10. XLR8OR

XLR8OR Member

A new is pretty cheap if you're concerned about shelf life