Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why 2 different "hold the wheel" Nag warning types?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a complaint but just some questions.

My experience: I always hold the wheel under tension (maybe sometimes not enough). The only time I completely release the wheel is to get a drink or something like that. My question/concern is that I get 2 different types of warnings:

A: The normal alert where a message pops onto the screen followed by the blue background forming at the top. No beeps and not audio dimming or muting.
B: But now more, than the "normal" warning, I get an Alert (similar wording to apply pressure to the wheel) but it mutes the audio and beeps twice.

Questions/curiosity:

1: Do others of you also get these 2 different warnings?
2: If so does anyone know what causes A rather than B and visa-versa? (I can not find any specific conditions that cause one or the other?
3: Maybe an intermittent hardware problem, and I should contact Tesla Service?

Just reaching out to see if my case is specific to my car or my driving technique before I contact Tesla.

M3 - AWD - EAP - Build Dec 2018 - Performance Boost - 19" wheels - ~19k miles

Thanks in advance for your feedback and advice.

I have never encountered alert B. I normally see the blue flashing alert and then shake the wheel a little and it goes away. Maybe the alert B you are describing comes after several flashing alerts to ensure you are aware of the alert?

Alert B is when the AP system is facing uncertainty in the road conditions and may need you to take control immediately. This happens fairly often if you use it in the city, especially in my town, where the road designs are similar to what you'd expect a 5 year old to design. And yes I realize AP is not designed for use in city streets yet, but I do test it from time to time when safe.

@TX_M3P+ Never happens AFTER the normal Blue alert. Always displays as the first alert.

@ChrisH, The B alert, when it happens is never facing anything strange. 3 lane interstate, no construction, no special traffic conditions. Just where I would expect a normal Blue Alert.

@MacDon, Again, 3 lane interstate (divided 3lanes each way, for example, I95), so no special conditions that I can detect.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll wait to see if anyone else chimes in, and then I guess it is time to discuss with Tesla.

I have never encountered alert B. I normally see the blue flashing alert and then shake the wheel a little and it goes away. Maybe the alert B you are describing comes after several flashing alerts to ensure you are aware of the alert?
I used AP for the first time in a while yesterday and did get the B alert while driving on the highway. I noticed it mostly when I was in the far right lane while it was merging with an on-ramp lane. It seemed to me that these were situations where AP wasn't quite sure what to do and wanted to make sure I had my hands on the wheel just in case it decided to give me back control. All other nags were just the typical blue flashing notifications.

@TX_M3P+ Never happens AFTER the normal Blue alert. Always displays as the first alert.

@ChrisH, The B alert, when it happens is never facing anything strange. 3 lane interstate, no construction, no special traffic conditions. Just where I would expect a normal Blue Alert.

@MacDon, Again, 3 lane interstate (divided 3lanes each way, for example, I95), so no special conditions that I can detect.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll wait to see if anyone else chimes in, and then I guess it is time to discuss with Tesla.
It happens even with your hands on the wheel, correct? If it's in a certain area repeatedly then it is very likely there is some kind of object there causing the issue to reoccur. With this error message it is usually very reproducible for me, I know where it is going to happen in my city.

I got alert B for the first time yesterday. It appears to have triggered since I was using the wheel controls to dismiss the regular A alerts instead of putting pressure on the wheel. It only disappeared once I gave the steering wheel a little wiggle.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
At some point, you'll encounter the worst case scenario with (B), where AP starts doing the emergency beeping at you and disengages completely. (B) basically happens when AP is confused by what it's seeing and can't make a momentary decision. But if those conditions last too long, it shuts down and makes you take over. You'll get the "red hands on wheel" warning when that happens.

In my experience, some firmware updates cause the car to freak out in spots it used to handle well, and vice versa. It's just the neural net improving in some areas while regressing in others. I would expect this kind of thing to be commonplace until the NN is in a really good place.

Reactions: APotatoGod