Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why 2nd row seats seam tight on the outside hip and shoulder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
Note: I have the 6 seat configuration and love it overall.

I've compared being in the second row outside seats to being in the window seats of airplanes. There is quite a bit of taper / curvature starting at the hip and curving in toward the roof.

As well I've mentioned that you seem pretty close to the door. In fact, my tall friend had a hard time shutting the door.

I tried to show (imperfectly) how the 2nd row outside seats are pushed *farther* out (wider) than the front seats and why they feel so roomy (shoulder area) compared to the rear.

Obviously, when they went from the 7 seat to the 6 seat configuration option (my 2nd day of configuring) they mainly just removed the middle seat, electronics/software for it, and dealt with the carpet and floor mats. Maybe in the future the seats will be able to move in a couple inches and add an armrest and more inside hip support.

HTH

Image: http://i.imgur.com/eWGxHLw.png
eWGxHLw.png

Yes, the seats feel awkwardly too close to the door when one has that empty space in the middle (and no arm rest). No changes were made when they did the last minute 6 seat hack... yes, they just deleted the middle seat. You can see the positioning here:

section-interior--seating-for-6.jpg

Moving them together every so slightly more would have been much appreciated.

(If only they had done a fully folding center seat on the 7 as a compromise... alas, it wasn't meant to be.)

Last edited:
I felt exactly the same way when I sat in the back at the event at the factory in Fremont. I was imaging fabricating an adapter plate to shift the seat in by a couple of inches and all the problems that would create with torques on the the monopost or its mounts in a crash.

I think the bigger problem for tall people (I'm 6'4" and not particularly long-torsoed for reference) in the middle row is that your head fits into the glass area of the FWD and if you move the seating medially, you end up with your head against the central spine of the two FWDs.

Yes, the seats feel awkwardly too close to the door when one has that empty space in the middle (and no arm rest). No changes were made when they did the last minute 6 seat hack... yes, they just deleted the middle seat. You can see the positioning here:

section-interior--seating-for-6.jpg

Moving them together every so slightly more would have been much appreciated.

(If only they had done a fully folding center seat on the 7 as a compromise... alas, it wasn't meant to be.)

I really feel that armrests (or a console of some sort) would alleviate most of the problem. If someone is standing next to you in a crowded room you don't think anything of it, it's almost cozy. But if you are in an empty room and someone is standing right next to you, suddenly they're invading your personal space and you feel uncomfortable...

I think the bigger problem for tall people (I'm 6'4" and not particularly long-torsoed for reference) in the middle row is that your head fits into the glass area of the FWD and if you move the seating medially, you end up with your head against the central spine of the two FWDs.
Would 3" make this much difference? It certainly would from the outside perspective.

I would think 3" was a bit too much, but it's been a while since I sat in a 6 seater. For one thing, that eats 6" out of the center aisle which cuts into the leg extension room for the rear passengers (and the 3" on the outside is not enough to extend a leg into), and their ingress/egress option through the middle. 1" would likely make a big difference in how close the door felt. That, along with an armrest on the inside would probably balance quite well.

Reactions: FarmerDave