Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why 42 PSI ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it comes to tires there is nothing particularly unusual about what Tesla is doing. The recommended tire pressure is just that. A recommendation. It is clearly not a rule because if it was, it would be different for every combo they sell. It goes without saying that a Model 3 P on 20" wheels and summer high performance tires is going to need completely different tire pressure to a car running 18" Michelin all seasons. The bottom line is find something that works for you based on your driving style, pattern and preferences. Understand that there is no "correct" pressure, only what works for you. Every pressure is going to be a compromise between NVH, performance and longevity. Personally I run 38psi but if I'm taking a long road trip I will increase to 44 to maximize range.

When it comes to tires there is nothing particularly unusual about what Tesla is doing. The recommended tire pressure is just that. A recommendation. It is clearly not a rule because if it was, it would be different for every combo they sell. It goes without saying that a Model 3 P on 20" wheels and summer high performance tires is going to need completely different tire pressure to a car running 18" Michelin all seasons. The bottom line is find something that works for you based on your driving style, pattern and preferences. Understand that there is no "correct" pressure, only what works for you. Every pressure is going to be a compromise between NVH, performance and longevity. Personally I run 38psi but if I'm taking a long road trip I will increase to 44 to maximize range.

I also run ~38 PSI for my Model 3 Performance, but don't see any value in increasing the pressure for road trips. The new energy-usage graph shows MAYBE a 2-3% (6-10 mile) range difference between the recommended 42 PSI and 38, which makes maybe a 5-8 minute difference in a 400-mile road trip, but the time spent pumping the pressure up then back down negates that time advantage!

Reading these latest postings, I think I will give 38 psi another try. I don't see anyone complaining about that pressure. It's not that I can't handle 42 psi. What I worry about are things rattling or getting loose due to the harsher ride. Those problems are difficult or impossible to fix.