Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why 80kW at a 250kW max SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's your SOC? Seems like to get the max rate you need a low SOC - and even though the battery preconditioned, outside air temp is still a factor.

Lastly, have a tech look at your car, Y's are having heat pump issues and the heat pump helps precondition the battery, so it's possible it wasn't fully preconditioned... As an example, I am adding 14 miles per hour on a Level 2/32A charger and at times nothing because the heat pump isn't working right. They can look into your car remotely and know right way if any of your heat pump sensors are faulty. And it doesn't hurt to ask.

Just a few things to try.

Seeing this as well. Usually it’s how much change I already have upon arrival. I’ve seen it as high as 197kW, but taper quickly depending on how full the battery is.

One should not expect supercharging speeds approaching 200 kW, unless:

- the SoC is below 20-25%
- the battery has preconditioned to ideal temps prior to arrival using the navigate to supercharger function
- outdoor air temps are warm enough (above 50-60F is my guess)

Even when you do reach speeds approaching 200 kW, it will only last for a minute or two and will quickly begin to throttle. I can also confirm that cool outdoor air temperatures can prevent full 250 kW charging, even if you navigate to the supercharger. It doesn’t matter how hard you try to arrive with ideal cell temperatures and SoC, the battery won’t be warm enough for the fastest charge speeds when outdoor air temps are not warm enough.

Even when you do reach speeds approaching 200 kW, it will only last for a minute or two and will quickly begin to throttle. I can also confirm that cool outdoor air temperatures can prevent full 250 kW charging, even if you navigate to the supercharger. It doesn’t matter how hard you try to arrive with ideal cell temperatures and SoC, the battery won’t be warm enough for the fastest charge speeds when outdoor air temps are not warm enough.
Yeah, this has been my experience as well. Good breakdown.

Unfortunately, you'll need an app like ScanMyTesla to tell you if your battery is at optimal temp (~50C) for fast charging.

Bjorn yo-yos the car to generate heat and warm-up the battery: (accelerate hard, let off and regen) multiple times

Preconditioning isn't on for very long so it's not going to make a huge difference on battery temp. It'll help, but not as much as yo-yoing.

One should not expect supercharging speeds approaching 200 kW, unless:

- the SoC is below 20-25%
- the battery has preconditioned to ideal temps prior to arrival using the navigate to supercharger function
- outdoor air temps are warm enough (above 50-60F is my guess)