Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a 215 mi range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At faster highway speeds you will probably get less range than that at temps well below freezing.

Some are willing to drive at 60mph in a 75mph roadway to make it happen. Not me though.

That's the point. Even if 75 mph it's the legal maximum speed in most highways (in Europe even more), I don't want either to drive at 55 mph in a highway where all the car's drive at 75 mph.

Oh gosh, I don't draft like nascar eating bumper drafting. That is craziness...
If you are close enough to improve your fuel economy by 20+ percent you are way too close.

Just consider that it will take you at least a good half second to respond to traffic changes in front of you. At 70 mph that is already 50 feet. A very miserly one second interval is 100 feet ...

Last edited:
If you are close enough to improve your fuel economy by 20+ percent you are way too close.

Just consider that it will take you at least a good half second to respond to traffic changes in front of you. At 70 mph that is already 50 feet. A very miserly one second interval is 100 feet ...
:oops: fair enough. I know that this morning even though we were all doing like 70-75 on I95 my average speed was closer to 60mph, so it is possible that I am going far slower than I think for a lot of my trip and just don't notice. This afternoon won't be a good test, cause it is friday and traffic is horrible on fridays...

What would be the average % gain if I followed at a safer distance?

What would be the average % gain if I followed at a safer distance?

I frequently run the gauntlet of The 5 between the Bay Area and LA. I intially wanted to believe 'drafting' ( = the nominal separation in heavy-ish freeway traffic, for all you safety nazis...) helped my range.

After more experimentation, I've found that following vehicles (again, at a safe distance) makes almost zero impact unless you're behind a bus or big rig. You'd be lucky to see a few miles improvement in a leg. Clicking down 1mph in open road cruising has at least the same effect, if not more. Managing your speed relative to head/tailwinds has significantly more effect.

Reactions: Zoomit

I frequently run the gauntlet of The 5 between the Bay Area and LA. I intially wanted to believe 'drafting' ( = the nominal separation in heavy-ish freeway traffic, for all you safety nazis...) helped my range.

After more experimentation, I've found that following vehicles (again, at a safe distance) makes almost zero impact unless you're behind a bus or big rig. You'd be lucky to see a few miles improvement in a leg. Clicking down 1mph in open road cruising has at least the same effect, if not more. Managing your speed relative to head/tailwinds has significantly more effect.

@SageBrush what @bxr140 replied with answered my question.

So the correct thing to do is slow down (which has bee repeated a bunch) if you are in danger of not making the next SC/Charger/Destination.

I see a 5-10% increase in MPG even at 4-5 seconds behind a large truck.

Thank you kindly.

By my arithmetic -- the truck is over a football field in front of you calculating from 60 mph.

I'm surprised by your observation

Yes, aerodynamics don't back up that assertion at all. Drafting Behind Trucks: Does it Work?

At 60 mph and 5 seconds behind you are;

5280 / 60 * 5 = 440 feet away. Should be very little if any draft effect.

Good rule of thumb is that minimum safe distance at highway speeds is 2 seconds, for today's texting distracted drivers, or when conditions are less than ideal, 4 seconds.

I am highly skeptical of any fuel economy gains 5 seconds behind someone ... No matter how big the other vehicle is.

Reactions: Zoomit
BTW, the 0.7 factor in the formula I referenced doesn't just account for low temps, but also normal driving speeds. I don't think anyone who orders M3 plans to drive it like a Leaf. Besides, 215 is the bare minimum EPA range announced. So much can change between now and launch. Keep in mind that the apples to oranges comparison won't just magically go away once the Bolt is launched. I guarantee you that Elon will pay attention (and adjust accordingly) to what real world range Chevy (or any other manufacturer) actually ends up with prior to M3 launch. M3 absolutely has to be the range champ for the money.
Oh, and don't forget the biggest and most important factor of them all... there will be an optional higher capacity battery, perhaps even more than one!

Mythbusters did this a while back and found something like 10-12% gains at 100ft distance (6-7 car lengths) behind a tractor trailer. No way you're getting that at 300-400 feet.
Another significant detriment to gains from drafting is a crosswind. If there's any appreciable crosswind, your gains are lost as the wake is blown to one side or the other.

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja
Mythbusters did this a while back and found something like 10-12% gains at 100ft distance (6-7 car lengths) behind a tractor trailer. No way you're getting that at 300-400 feet.

I'll happily admit that I did not do a scientific study, it was merely casually observed anecdotal evidence. Perhaps you can explain how you extrapolated for one data point to an impossibility.

Thank you kindly.