Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Chevy Volt ICE'd an EV charging stall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DavidM

P2624, Delivered
Aug 18, 2011
Florida
Last week I stayed one night at a hotel in Orlando which (thankfully) had two Level 2 charging stations. I've stayed there before and have never seen another EV charging overnight. But this time, there was a Volt parked in one of the spaces - NOT Plugged In! Clearly, I was totally confused. Why would an EV owner park in a charging stall, and not bother to charge? After some investigation, this is what I learned.

The charging stations are located in an auxiliary parking lot. Technically, it's not a self parking, or valet, or an employee lot. But it's an unattended, gated lot with an intercom. The parking Valet uses the lot to park the occasional EV, but you can also self park your EV there by identifying yourself on the intercom. Apparently, a Valet attendant parked a Volt there, but he didn't know how to plug it in, so he just left it in the EV charging space. I explained to the hotel manager why an EV owner would never do this. I told him, "Imagine a gas station with only two pumps. I park my car in front of one of the pumps, (decide not to refuel) and walk away. Planning to return in several hours." Manager says, "I get it".

The next morning, the Volt was still there, but it was plugged in.
The masses educate ever so slowly.

Last edited:
I'm glad it wasn't the Volt owner that did that. I own two Volt's and don't worry about enroute or destination charging, I'd rather leave the plugs to EV that need them. I'm content operating our Volt's over 93% from the grid and when I run out of battery I'll glady accept 40 MPG.

Tom
USAF Retired

Just another Example of what I have begun to call - an EV Charging Zero - meaning - that's how much they 'Get it'. For Starters - would the volt need a 240V Charge station for overnight charging - at best? (I understand - it probably helped in this case since they likely missed a few hours of charge time before you showed up!)

'EV Charging Zero' was an outcropping or a corollary to a thought about a new idea I am working on - "EV Charging Hero's", which - I guess, would not have solved this particular challenge much, but would be about solving the other challenge - Limited time access, wrong brand wishing to use a Dealers Charging station (& Being Chased Away), or insufficient Charging Stations at a given location.

Watch EV Charging Hero’s! for updates, or check for specific news on the EV Fest 2014 Website, news section!

There was a Volt Parked at the WholeFood eVgo station this weekend not plugged in, fortunately there was an open space next to it that the 1772 cord reached, but the Volt was blocking the CHAdeMO charger completely (shorter cord).

As I was walking away, the owner came back, so I politely mentioned that the space was marked for "EV Charging Only". She said she knew, but was only going to be a little while and could not find another spot (she had several bags of groceries, so I doubt it was "a little while"). So basically she just does not care. Sad that people are so inconsiderate.

There was a Volt Parked at the WholeFood eVgo station this weekend not plugged in, fortunately there was an open space next to it that the 1772 cord reached, but the Volt was blocking the CHAdeMO charger completely (shorter cord).

As I was walking away, the owner came back, so I politely mentioned that the space was marked for "EV Charging Only". She said she knew, but was only going to be a little while and could not find another spot (she had several bags of groceries, so I doubt it was "a little while"). So basically she just does not care. Sad that people are so inconsiderate.

My guess, your polite mention will allow her to think twice next time and she won't do this again.

I'm starting to see more and more EVs parked at charging stations but not plugged in. Kinda discouraging to say the least.

This is partly the fault of so many signs saying "EV Parking Only" - the key word - being 'Parking' not "Charging" or "EV Parking While Charging Only", being the better wording. the rest of the fault of the fact that we are already beyond the thinking level of buyers really being EV Heads! (They are just car buyers - with no EV Thoughts before lately!)

...and, in some cases, it is the fault of the charge station owner...Mapleview Mall in Burlington comes to mind...their only charge station was out of service for a few weeks last Christmas...they seemed in no particular rush to get the station up and running again...:rolleyes:

This is partly the fault of so many signs saying "EV Parking Only" - the key word - being 'Parking' not "Charging" or "EV Parking While Charging Only", being the better wording. the rest of the fault of the fact that we are already beyond the thinking level of buyers really being EV Heads! (They are just car buyers - with no EV Thoughts before lately!)