Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Home Charger setup is Essential in Cold Climate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pmich80

Between U and me I'm giddy waitin' for the Model ≡
Mar 21, 2016
Toronto
I decided this past week to track the efficiency, or rather lack thereof, of my Model 3 since the temperatures finally dropped here in Toronto.

I don't drive a lot daily since I commute downtown via the Go-Train so I wanted to see what sort of numbers I was getting. They were worse than I anticipated:

I started last Saturday with 456 km of range and went back to the supercharger Friday night with only 47 km left. Notable findings below:

KM usage of Battery: 409km total
Driving KM (actual distance): 94.4km

Battery Consumption Split:
Consumption while driving those 94.4 km: 159 km
Pre-heating Vehicle: 19 km
Phantom Draining: 231 km

IMG_20190120_123450.jpg

I attached my detailed charting as well. Full detailed Findings:
Tesla Battery Consumption (1 Week).xlsx

As a side note, I'm working with the management office in my building to get a permanent solution over the coming year. I still have 2 superchargers within 5km of me plus I set up a Tesla charger at my parents house in the meantime.

Last edited:
-27 yesterday and colder today and I experienced nowhere near that sort of loss. Something else going on in your case to cause such phantom drain. Perhaps you answered "yes" when asked (after the latest update) if you wanted to keep the heater on after the car was parked.

Nope.. i don't keep the heat on in the car as when i go to pre-heat it it's quite cold to start off. I also NEVER opened the app to wake the car. I wanted to make sure i wasn't affecting the range indirectly. I think the issue is that i never get the battery warm enough since my daily commute is only a few kms per day. Overnight it sits in a parking garage though so i figured it wouldn't be too cold.

Pre-heating before leaving each morning makes the car more efficient when it's driven. So it may be a false economy not to pre-heat. A lot of energy is being used in those few kms you drive just to get the battery up to operating temperature.

I decided this past week to track the efficiency, or rather lack thereof, of my Model 3 since the temperatures finally dropped here in Toronto.

I don't drive a lot daily since I commute downtown via the Go-Train so I wanted to see what sort of numbers I was getting. They were worse than I anticipated:

I started last Saturday with 456 km of range and went back to the supercharger Friday night with only 47 km left. Notable findings below:

KM usage of Battery: 409km total
Driving KM (actual distance): 94.4km

Battery Consumption Split:
Consumption while driving those 94.4 km: 159 km
Pre-heating Vehicle: 19 km
Phantom Draining: 231 km

View attachment 370359

I attached my detailed charting as well. Full detailed Findings:
Tesla Battery Consumption (1 Week).xlsx

As a side note, I'm working with the management office in my building to get a permanent solution over the coming year. I still have 2 superchargers within 5km of me plus I set up a Tesla charger at my parents house in the meantime.
How are you pulling this data?