Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my mud guards in yesterday from EV Mudflaps par Antirouille Bolduc . As mentioned I elected to use nylon rivets as opposed to the sheet metal screws they supply as the salt roads will kill them in a few years not to mention self tapping into plastic cannot be the greatest of connections. I had to drill out the holes meant for the screws slightly larger to accommodate the rivets which was a piece of cake. Used the same drill bit to drill the holes in the plastic where the screws were meant to go. If for whatever reason you want remove the mud flaps permanently, the rivets need to be drilled out and the remaining hole can be sealed by putting in a new rivet. You are drilling into plastic, no metal here.

Rivet and Tool.

Rivet in place before using the tool

Looks like this when all is in place.

Notice how the upper portion of the mudflap sticks out from the vehicle. This is rather important as it gives much more protection although it does not look as streamlined. Need to choose, looks or protection, can't have both with whats out there now.

Last edited:
Notice how the upper portion of the mudflap sticks out from the vehicle. This is rather important as it gives much more protection although it does not look as streamlined. Need to choose, looks or protection, can't have both with whats out there now.

Nice install. I’m pretty sure any mudflap that doesn’t stick out from the side will defeat the purpose of protecting the gravel damage being done to the rear doors.

I’m curious if anyone has ordered and received these from the U.S. I’m in Oregon and wondering how long shipping would take.

Reactions: RNHurt
Nice install. I’m pretty sure any mudflap that doesn’t stick out from the side will defeat the purpose of protecting the gravel damage being done to the rear doors.

I’m curious if anyone has ordered and received these from the U.S. I’m in Oregon and wondering how long shipping would take.

This is why I mentioned this as the molded style flaps/guards while looking nicer do not protrude up top or at least not those I have had on previous cars. These are more "Rally" style but do offer great protection.

Soon as we get another equivalent crap day like in the original picture, I will snap a shot for comparison. May take a week or 2 as no snow in the near future forecast. Ooops, just checked, snow on the way Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. :D

A note on securing any aftermarket mud flap properly. When it is cold and salt is mixed with ice it tends to build up substantially in the wheel wells and mud flaps. I would estimate probably close to 10lbs of ice at times. Will add a pic of that also when the time comes.

Last edited:
A note on securing any aftermarket mud flap properly. When it is cold and salt is mixed with ice it tends to build up substantially in the wheel wells and mud flaps. I would estimate probably close to 10lbs of ice at times. Will add a pic of that also when the time comes.

To add to this, people in parking lots love to kick the big chunks of snow off mud flaps when they see them. I've seen them tear the flap off a car before. Make sure they are securely attached.

Got my refund
Full refund or $20 off refund?

I decided to still accept the flaps for $20 not the $40 I paid. I have not received the $20 refund yet. The flaps are "out for delivery" today. Unfortunately, we got 9" of snow overnight so not a great day to install them if they do come today.
Tesla-Snow.png

Reactions: ArtK
Did you have to heat the plastic clips like in the video?

Was it easy to get the 2 factory clips off?
Caps are very easy to pop out with flathead screwdriver. I put my mudflaps on my M3 right after purchase. Get Gen2 so you don't need to drill at all.
As far as aesthetics I was worried about the black clashing with blue. But with all the chrome delete, it blends right in.
20201217_092058.jpg 20201217_092120.jpg

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Caps are very easy to pop out with flathead screwdriver. I put my mudflaps on my M3 right after purchase. Get Gen2 so you don't need to drill at all.
As far as aesthetics I was worried about the black clashing with blue. But with all the chrome delete, it blends right in.
View attachment 618496 View attachment 618497
Just tell the critics you chose them in black to match the tires ;)

• Funny
Reactions: arie21014