Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lost my car for a couple of days ( had to drive the Mercedes, OH the horror! :eek:) as I had the entire front end done with Expel including lights, fog lights, mirrors fenders and hood. Where I live, salt & gravel are in use probably 5 months of the year so our PPF installers are very familiar with what should be protected. They recommended doing the lower portion of both doors below the crease between the front wheel well and rear wheel well which I also had them do. Bottom line is with the flaps and PPF I should be as protected as one needs to be. :cool:

Why the PPF? I already had multiple nicks on the very fragile paint Tesla uses so I figured the entire front end would look like crap before winter was over. This is not a Tesla only thing. Had the Mercedes done, A previous Genesis, the Ridgeline and my wife's previous car. Just way too much junk being thrown up from other cars in front while travelling the autoroutes at higher speeds.

I tried shining a flashlight from the top which worked out pretty good in order to see where it was applied. The line is clearly visible near the rear wheel, this extends to the front wheel as mention following the crease in the door panels.

Last edited:
Lost my car for a couple of days ( had to drive the Mercedes, OH the horror! :eek:) as I had the entire front end done with Expel including lights, fog lights, mirrors fenders and hood. Where I live, salt & gravel are in use probably 5 months of the year so our PPF installers are very familiar with what should be protected. They recommended doing the lower portion of both doors below the crease between the front wheel well and rear wheel well which I also had them do. Bottom line is with the flaps and PPF I should be as protected as one needs to be. :cool:

Why the PPF? I already had multiple nicks on the very fragile paint Tesla uses so I figured the entire front end would look like crap before winter was over. This is not a Tesla only thing. Had the Mercedes done, A previous Genesis, the Ridgeline and my wife's previous car. Just way too much junk being thrown up from other cars in front while travelling the autoroutes at higher speeds.

I tried shining a flashlight from the top which worked out pretty good in order to see where it was applied. The line is clearly visible near the rear wheel, this extends to the front wheel as mention following the crease in the door panels.

I did the same, but just on the back doors.

I just received my EvMudflaps and am having such a hard time getting in the clips on both back wheel wells. I was able to use a hammer to get the clips in the front but I don’t have enough clearance to use a hammer in the back, could anyone chime in how they managed to get the clips in thanks.

The rear holes and underlying plastic are far apart and not aligned well from the factory so it was next to impossible to remove let alone insert the supplied push pins. I ended up putting in rivets because I also had the same issue as you. The front ones were not an issue. This was only the case for the 2 most outer OEM attachments on both sides at the rear. Thought my car was built a little off in this area but obviously there are others.

The rear holes and underlying plastic are far apart and not aligned well from the factory so it was next to impossible to remove let alone insert the supplied push pins. I ended up putting in rivets because I also had the same issue as you. The front ones were not an issue. This was only the case for the 2 most outer OEM attachments on both sides at the rear. Thought my car was built a little off in this area but obviously there are others.

hey thanks for replying , yeah the mud flap bends a lot it’s not flush at all, could you link me what rivers and screws you used thanks. Also is there any way to use the Tesla rivers or would they be too short thanks.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: Hamtaro7
I just received my EvMudflaps and am having such a hard time getting in the clips on both back wheel wells. I was able to use a hammer to get the clips in the front but I don’t have enough clearance to use a hammer in the back, could anyone chime in how they managed to get the clips in thanks.

Did you heat the clips first? The installations youtube video shows them heating them before installing them to make the go in easier

I tried two sets of white flaps from Amazon and none of them works. They don't flush with the curve of the body. The holes also do not align with the factory holes. Let us know if you come across one that actually fits.