Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my EvMudflaps and am having such a hard time getting in the clips on both back wheel wells. I was able to use a hammer to get the clips in the front but I don’t have enough clearance to use a hammer in the back, could anyone chime in how they managed to get the clips in thanks.

If you watch the install video, they use a heat gun to heat up the clips first.

Im just wondering what would happen to the anchor when the mudflaps are removed, since I’d imagine the anchor would drop down and rattle around if it can’t be retrieved.
The anchor i used has a flared end that should keep it from poking through the mudflap. Both the anchor and mudflap plastics are really tough. I doubt they would ever deform enough to push through. If they do, i will deal with it then. Glad you mentioned that concern though, because it is certainly possible, and it will be something for me to keep an eye out for.

Good morning guys. I have these mud guards / mud flaps on my Model 3 since over 2 years and couple friends have them on their Model Y and none of us have any paint damage whatsoever. It is for me the best "investment" I made to protect my baby and I wanted to share it with you. Here is the link were I purchase them : Collections
Hope you all be safe.
Patrick
Sorry, those look like something someone made in a garage for a Peterbilt truck not a Tesla. Looks terrible to me.

Good morning guys. I have these mud guards / mud flaps on my Model 3 since over 2 years and couple friends have them on their Model Y and none of us have any paint damage whatsoever. It is for me the best "investment" I made to protect my baby and I wanted to share it with you. Here is the link were I purchase them : Collections
Hope you all be safe.
Patrick
I think those have been posted previously. For $100 US, I'd expect something a little nicer than someone could make in their garage (and I think someone above did make some)....

Likewise I thought the "design" left somewhat to be desired for 130$ cdn...
So, I went looking for cheaper alternatives, that might just be throwaway, when/if the market brings a more compelling solution.
Anyway, I found these cheap (20$ cdn / pair) at my local Canadian Tire.
Brand: RoadSport
Model: Premier-Fit Splash Guards
Size: B

Cleaned up the car today, and I will be installing tomorrow. Will post pictures aft
IMG_20201228_233239.jpg
er.

So, I went looking for cheaper alternatives, that might just be throwaway, when/if the market brings a more compelling solution.

Cleaned up the car today, and I will be installing tomorrow. Will post pictures aftView attachment 621995 er.

I used these same flaps and replaced the 2 black nylon snaps with these dry wall anchors then used stainless screws to attach the flaps. I made 2 tabs from aluminum that slide in behind the plastic wheel liner to attach the upper portion of the flap. No holes in the MY. Use the larger anchor. Will replace these flaps when custom flaps are available.
74F3592D-523F-43C7-AA0E-94A165C92DB2.jpeg
AFAB1350-CE9C-44A1-A3E5-446FC1086B21.jpeg

I picked up the MY in Portland and drove home to Bend OR. on packed snow here is the result. PPF should be installed on the back doors at the factor!
74F3592D-523F-43C7-AA0E-94A165C92DB2.jpeg

Cleaned up the car today, and I will be installing tomorrow. Will post pictures aftView attachment 621995 er.
How did it go? Would love to see...

Finished the job late yesterday, including PPF install at the bottom of the doors.
Happy with the results. Had to cut the front pair, since there is a bump, just above the two clip

I struggled to put back the original clips, as they are quite short and the extra couple millimeters the flaps adds, prevents from easy reuse.
Eventually, I found the best tool to provide enough leverage (see first picture) is an old hook, when applied against the tire, pushing on the head of the clip. I ordered a set of rivets that might replace the original clips, if they come off.

Will be road testing it tomorrow, by heading to a ski resort, north of Montreal.

Here's the pics:

IMG_20201229_210955.jpg
IMG_20201230_203159.jpg
IMG_20201230_203227.jpg

I have the evmudflaps, really glad I have them. They help a lot. I scrapped them a couple time already but since they're flexible they've been holding up just fine. I think they look great imo. I took the car to Yosemite two weekends ago and drove through ice, gravel, sand, and snow.

Here are some pics after 80 miles roundtrip in and out of the park each day for four days-

89932524-3245-4F7F-819D-1F9F858C957E.jpeg
4C36E6F5-1151-4DCE-A1D0-4BDF9EDF4D33.jpeg
59770544-AAA9-4511-BBB0-FB19FCA8E04F.jpeg

I only have full front ppf done for my car. The lower back rocker panel still got sand blasted by gravel and sand but the mud flaps helped tremendously. I think without the flaps I'd probably need to repaint the rear car doors after that trip. I don't think I'll get ppf done in that area in future. I got the tesla paint chip kit to fill some of the miniscule paint chips I got.

Efficiency wise I haven't noticed any difference.

Overall, I am satisfied with the mud flaps. The Y definitely needs mud flaps especially in harsh road environments.

Last edited:
RoadSport also make a C version.
C' Series Premier Splash guards: 18" Height x 10-3/8" Wide Universal Fit Premier Splashguards from RoadSport, a Division of PowerFlow Manufacturer of Splash Guards for Trucks and Cars in Canada and the United States They are a little bit wider than the B model. I used the B model that is 8 7/8 wide and it limited the amount the flap can extend from the side of the car. The replaced the 2 nylon clips with the dry anchors (picture that I previously posted) that allowed me to use some SS screws to attach the lower part of the flap.

Attachments

• mudflap2.JPG
    mudflap2.JPG
    495.8 KB · Views: 76
  • mudflap2.JPG
    mudflap2.JPG
    495.8 KB · Views: 80
Here's what I did, hope it helps. I wanted to install some before any damage occurs since it will be months before any Model Y specific will be available. I looked at many types but found this one from Amazon that would work. I wanted on that didn't look like just a piece of plastic sheeting, and would have contours and texture. My intent was to install without any modifications. But with all this talk about mud and dirt getting behind the flaps, I decided to cut it to fit to minimize collecting dirt. The process was not that hard when I figured out how to cut it. I used aviation snips ($10 at Homedepot), and my Oscillating cutter. A Dremel would work too. I used a file on the edge after cutting to remove the burrs, and to round out the cuts. I created the template from 2 sheets of paper, and transferred it to flap. The 2 plastic retainer clips (body pins), were not long enough so I used some left overs from a previous project. Like the ones mentioned in the earlier posts, I used 2 short black screws to mount the upper part to the plastic fender trim. The Template worked for both sides. I only did the fronts since it was the most critical.

File_000 (2).jpeg File_001.jpg File_002 (1).jpeg File_001 (1).jpeg File_002.jpg
Here is the link to the flaps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENSOWBM/

This was the best looking (in my opinion) until a contoured, true fitting one becomes available on the market. Just have to do the cuts. I still have the paper template if anyone wants a copy. Creating the template was challenging, but it helped minimized the cutting process.

File_000 (2).jpeg
File_001.jpg
File_002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I did, hope it helps. I wanted to install some before any damage occurs since it will be months before any Model Y specific will be available. I looked at many types but found this one from Amazon that would work. I wanted on that didn't look like just a piece of plastic sheeting, and would have contours and texture. My intent was to install without any modifications. But with all this talk about mud and dirt getting behind the flaps, I decided to cut it to fit to minimize collecting dirt. The process was not that hard when I figured out how to cut it. I used aviation snips ($10 at Homedepot), and my Oscillating cutter. A Dremel would work too. I used a file on the edge after cutting to remove the burrs, and to round out the cuts. I created the template from 2 sheets of paper, and transferred it to flap. The 2 plastic retainer clips (body pins), were not long enough so I used some left overs from a previous project. Like the ones mentioned in the earlier posts, I used 2 short black screws to mount the upper part to the plastic fender trim. The Template worked for both sides. I only did the fronts since it was the most critical.

View attachment 624177 View attachment 624186 View attachment 624178 View attachment 624188 View attachment 624192
Here is the link to the flaps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENSOWBM/

This was the best looking (in my opinion) until a contoured, true fitting one becomes available on the market. Just have to do the cuts. I still have the paper template if anyone wants a copy. Creating the template was challenging, but it helped minimized the cutting process.

View attachment 624177 View attachment 624186 View attachment 624192

Those look good. Could you send me the paper template?