Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2300 miles on my Model Y, driven on the mostly dry roads of southern California. I did a very thorough wash, claybar and IPA wipe down in preparation for applying ceramic coating and I was pleased that aside from the plastic rocker in front of the rear wheel, there has been almost no ill effects from driving without mud guards. Now that I have them installed, I suspect the car will fare well for a long time.

I installed front and rear mud flaps similar to the Amazon mentioned in other posts. I purchased these from EBay for $52.99 with a 5 day delivery from CA.
It took me 30 min to install the first one & 15 min for the rest.
On the front I had to grind down the washer on the bottom bolt to make it fit with the mud flap. It was easy to do if you have a grinder.
The rear flaps are held on at 3 points. There is an upper hole that looks like a screw could be put in if you DRILL a hole but I think 3M tape will secure the top.
They look good and time will tell how well they work. As you can see in the pics, I live in Minnesnowta so I should know soon.

1614057414966_20210222_160125.jpg
20210222_160134 (1).jpg
20210222_160158.jpg
20210222_162229 (1).jpg
20210222_160134 (1).jpg
1614057846236_20210222_170320 (1).jpg
1614057843743_20210222_170308.jpg

I installed the Tesla OEM front mud flaps last Saturday. They were very easy to install (in about 2 minutes) by removing the two original rivets with a flathead screwdriver and pushing in the new ones through the perfectly aligned holes by hand. They look great and I will be testing them out in the rain later this week.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I installed front and rear mud flaps similar to the Amazon mentioned in other posts. I purchased these from EBay for $52.99 with a 5 day delivery from CA.
It took me 30 min to install the first one & 15 min for the rest.
On the front I had to grind down the washer on the bottom bolt to make it fit with the mud flap. It was easy to do if you have a grinder.
The rear flaps are held on at 3 points. There is an upper hole that looks like a screw could be put in if you DRILL a hole but I think 3M tape will secure the top.
They look good and time will tell how well they work. As you can see in the pics, I live in Minnesnowta so I should know soon.

View attachment 639088 View attachment 639089 View attachment 639090 View attachment 639091 View attachment 639089View attachment 639094 View attachment 639093

Great pics. For reference, these are the "premuim" molded versions referenced in my post.

My full door PPF saved the factory paint on the rear passenger door. The
PPF has a divot though. The road on 101 here NorCal is less than perfect. Proving it doesn’t take snowy winters to eat up the rear doors.

I don’t think the PPF will last long. Either double up PPF with the Tesla one or splash guards. Now I’m considering the premium molded version or Tasmania. Are the Tasmania the same as Amazon premium molded? Which Amazon ones are people buying?

Any recommendations for back set of mud flaps if you already have the front OEM ones? Hoping to avoid buying a set of 4 since I have the Tesla ones on already. Looking for same look obviously. Anyone done that?

Any recommendations for back set of mud flaps if you already have the front OEM ones? Hoping to avoid buying a set of 4 since I have the Tesla ones on already. Looking for same look obviously. Anyone done that?
My experience once I installed the Tesla brand front mud flaps on my LR Model Y is that rear mud flaps would not make a difference. The rear of the Model Y, as with many late model vehicle with similar air flow, gets covered in dirt because of the way the air flows over the vehicle. Any benefit from rear mud flaps would be purely cosmetic appeal to better match the look of the front mud flaps. PPF on the doors, especially the rear doors, may be needed to protect the paint even after installing front mud flaps.

My mud guards from AliExpress arrived on Friday (~2.5 weeks after I ordered them, and ahead of delivery estimates). Super easy to install, took maybe 15 minutes total. One of the clips it came with was broken but I ordered some replacements off Amazon. Added some auto tape to various areas of the mud flap (as others suggested) just for peace of mind. So far very happy with them and the fit is pretty great. For a total of $26.87 and a couple weeks waiting, I’m very satisfied with these and their look.

Can we get a nice page of links people are buying theirs from?
I thought most people were buying from here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TQTVM5G/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A2WSX7V4RW4YCL&psc=1
Yes, I bought those ^.. they look and fit great, I even replaced my front OEM Tesla flaps with these because they looked better and are a great fit. FWIW- the rears attach with the usual plastic anchors that use the existing holes on the car.. they also use the existing 10mm hex bolt located under the rear fender which results in a really rock solid mount!! But, they are $56 and you may not get them for a month or later.

These are the same as the ones above (including the hole for using the 10mm rear fender mount bolt), ship sooner and are $16 less:
https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Splash...c=1&refRID=EEWHSYBDSGZ72ZNSV6BZ&tag=tmc064-20
These people are easy to work with and seem responsive.

Last edited:
Yes, I bought those ^.. they look and fit great, I even replaced my front OEM Tesla flaps with these because they looked better and are a great fit. FWIW- the rears attach with the usual plastic anchors that use the existing holes on the car.. they also use the existing 10mm hex bolt located under the rear fender which results in a really rock solid mount!! But, they are $56 and you may not get them for a month or later.

These are the same as the ones above (including the hole for using the 10mm rear fender mount bolt), ship sooner and are $16 less:
https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Splash...c=1&refRID=EEWHSYBDSGZ72ZNSV6BZ&tag=tmc064-20
These people are easy to work with and seem responsive.
nice!

Tesmanians mud flaps will be released in a week or so so I wonder how those fit

FWIW- I have now bought both of the available MY mudflaps from the Amazon links above and they are the exact same quality as the $13 flaps I bought last month off Ebay for my daughters soon to be delivered M3. I not knocking the quality or usefulness of either (because they're both quite good), but I expect MY aftermarket flaps from China to sell for $15 by this time next year.

• Informative