Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW- I have now bought both of the available MY mudflaps from the Amazon links above and they are the exact same quality as the $13 flaps I bought last month off Ebay for my daughters soon to be delivered M3. I not knocking the quality or usefulness of either (because they're both quite good), but I expect MY aftermarket flaps from China to sell for $15 by this time next year.
Haha nice can we have the eBay link?

Sure, but, why wasn't the nut secured to something other than the bolt? The bolt was just spinning.
Mine was secured on both sides of the car... maybe the clip that secures the nut to the body broke because of all the thread locker? I worked for many years as an outboard mechanic dealing with salt-crusted/frozen bolts and got very good at being able to tell if a bolt was about ready to snap.. and my bolts had so much thread locker on them they were close to snapping on removal.

My doors also have the same rock chipping everyone is talking about. I bought PPF and wanted to setup an appointment at dealer for some touch up paint to the affected areas and allocation of the film. At first I got an invoice for $80 to do all that. When I asked why it can’t be done under warranty since rock chips on the back of rear doors is not normal, they canceled the appointment and told me to seek a body shop. Not sure why the change of heart at the dealer. How does one reach a live person at a service department? Do I need to physically be there?

Tesla does not have traditional dealerships as with other automobile manufacturers. Tesla has Sales Centers (in those states where allowed by state law) and Service Centers (in those states where permitted.) When you purchased the Tesla vehicle you assumed all risks associated with the ownership of the vehicle. Paint damage is considered normal wear and tear, not Tesla's responsibility.

To minimize damage from rocks, gravel and sand consider installing mud flaps. There are now a number of 3rd party mud flaps in addition to the Tesla mud flaps sold for the Tesla Model Y. The Tesla PPF kit for the Model Y can help protect the back edge of the rear doors but if you want better protection consider having PPF added to the whole vehicle.

There is little point in showing up at a Tesla Service Center without a prior appointment since COVID-19 requires the Tesla Service Center to enforce social distancing rules. Your best option remains communicating with Tesla via the Tesla App; you may be able to speak with a Tesla Service Manager by phone.

I am not sure if the Tesla service center or Tesla mobile service will install the PPF kit or the mud flaps since these are intended to be installed by the owner/operator. The bottom line reason why Tesla may not currently offer this service at this time is that Tesla has limited service appointments, service resources. If you don't want to install the PPF kit yourself a local automotive service that installs PPF as a full time service would be your best option. Here is a short video that demonstrates how to install the PPF kit for the Model Y. Tesla Model Y Rear Fender Paint Protection Film Installation

I just ordered the Tesla PPF kit, will install the PPF on my Model Y when it gets a bit warmer. I previously installed the Tesla mud flaps for the Tesla Model Y (Tesla only sells mud flaps for installation at the front wheels.) The instructions for installing the mud flaps are provided on link that is on the order page for the mud flaps. The video in the link shows a booklet of printed instructions for how to install the PPF kit.

Posted on the other thread but i did OEM mudflaps + Amazon regulars.

I have an older build so i have the screws instead of the pop things.
Ended up breaking one of the welds, gave up trying to get the screw out, and just overlapped the rear mudflap over the screw lol.

So far so good.

These are the regular mudflaps i got from Amazon,
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08V4LFMKW/

Has anyone been able to get their screw out after weld has broken? Without using a saw

2021-03-11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Met up at Rally Armor this morning to install the first official set of mudflaps. While these are identical to the set that were installed in january, the clips previously were prototypes and were not weather protected. The flaps themselves had been cut quickly for the test fit. this final-install set was properly machined with a few minor adjustments. considering i have a blue MY, i went with black flaps w/blue lettering. I love the way they came out.

The flaps will be released over the next few days. a few pictures below for those interested.

Attachments

• 20210327_135515.jpg
    20210327_135515.jpg
    830.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 20210327_135445.jpg
    20210327_135445.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20210327_124107.jpg
    20210327_124107.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 157