Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why all the hate for the Aero wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading about the standard aero wheels vs getting the sport package on the M3 and I don't understand why people think it's such a bad thing. I get that some may not like the look, that's a personal preference. To me they don't look bad, and have some advantages. For example I can see the aero covers being useful to stop the gunk you can get from driving in the winter or rain that flies up. Is there a solid reason people have for not liking them beyond just not being used to how they look? I honestly think that you wouldn't really notice them after having owned them for a while and that on the whole, the overall look of the car is great.

I don't know. I haven't been reading a lot of negatives. I think there are a lot of people that are happy with them. And of course there are people that don't like them, but I don't think it's skewed heavily towards that direction. I plan on getting them. If I don't like them, I just get some aftermarket rims.

Reactions: Stirfelt
Some people just really don't like the looks and originally believed they'd have to spend $1,500 to get wheels on their Model 3 that looked normal. Though given information that the covers can be easily removed, that's not a real concern now.

So, the aero wheels where an option on the Model S for a short time, but they had a poor take rate and were dropped, despite the 3% improvement in range. Based on threads at the time, the primary pushback was aesthetics, so I would assume its something similar now with the newest generation of owners.

Reactions: Big-T
I just don't personally find them aesthetically pleasing. Why is that hard to understand?
I get that some may not like the look, that's a personal preference.
This ^

There is nothing inherently technically wrong with the aero covers, it is just a matter of esthetics. I like them and I will be leaving them on to get better range on road trips.

I think they make the car seem cheap and add to the perception that an EV can't be a cool car. With that being said I would have paid an extra $250 for them as a cover. I think the fact that they are removable is great and a huge positive. I personally like the naked 18's more then the 19's mainly because I wanted a gray or black rim.

I don't hate them, I just feel like they don't match the car as well as the Sport rims do.

I like the idea of the aero covers, and I really like the fact that they're grey. I like that you take off the covers and the rims are grey. However, I just like the Sport rims more. Something just feels...off...aesthetically when I see Model 3s with the aero covers on. Maybe it's the silver trim of the car next to the darker wheels, I don't know. I'm usually the type to love futuristic-looking cars and styles, but the aero wheels fall flat in my opinion. However, I do appreciate that they're not just run-of-the-mill ugly rims like so many other cars.

I think if this were a cheaper vehicle I wouldn't care and just stick with the Aero option. But I am trying to achieve a bit of a sporty look.

Reactions: heysteveh
It's just looks. I think they look hideous. Part of the appeal of Teslas is that they don't look like weird space pods, but instead look like normal cars. The covers are a giant step in the ugly space pod direction IMO.

But, it does look like they're easily removable and the rims underneath look fine to me so I'm pretty comfortable now.

Reactions: Big-T and hckyplyr
They are hideous! Take the covers off and what do you have...don't know. Is the wheel going to be a dark color or a lighter color...don't know! Some pictures of the Aero wheels look acceptable to me because the wheel is a lighter color..do not want a dark colored wheel.

I had always expected to upgrade the wheels for this car but I will be perfectly happy to roll the aeros.
I also expected to pay a little less for the bigger battery + premium interior + autopilot (EAP only)...not much less but was hoping it would be somewhere around $50k all in. Who knows maybe somewhere down the road you'll be able to break up the premium package and get those things for that but for now ... it's first production for me!
With that, the Aero wheels are actually due more to the relative expense of other things....now it's looking like EAP might not happen for me much less sport wheels and even paint (although the red is tempting)!! I feel like I would force myself to sport wheels with anything but midnight silver or black...
So there it is...I'm getting black and I'm getting aeros and it's going to be awesome.

Reactions: davedavedave