Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why am I not getting software updates that include new features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here. Be gentle.

I have a 2021 Model Y Long Range. Software version is currently 2021.36.5.5. I have been reading for weeks/months now about others getting software updates that include new features (Sentry Live, Active Road Noise Canceling, etc). Any idea why I'm not getting any updates with these new features? I think I've only gotten one software update since I took delivery in September.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers.

Solution
The first post in this thread explains what we understand about the software update process:

The very short version

1. Tesla rolls software updates out in waves. New cars can take longer to get assigned to a wave
2. there will never (ever) be a time when all cars are on the same update (perhaps if tesla goes out of business, but not before then)
3. Updates are staggered for many reasons, like different hardware, testing certain things etc.
4. there is nothing (nothing, zip, insert any other description of "nothing" you want here) you can do to get "the latest" other than wait.
4a. (yep, thats right, nothing but...
Hi @jmmowery ,

Welcome to TMC !!!

A suggestion: Use your Tesla App to request service

Under the Software tab > Select "Update"

Put in notes "No software updates - Please check"
They can look at your car remotely to see if any updates have failed
and correct that - or "push" an update that matches your car, feature set,
and location if an update is available.

It also helps to have the selection under software set to "Advanced."

Good luck,

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX
Upvote 0
The first post in this thread explains what we understand about the software update process:

The very short version

1. Tesla rolls software updates out in waves. New cars can take longer to get assigned to a wave
2. there will never (ever) be a time when all cars are on the same update (perhaps if tesla goes out of business, but not before then)
3. Updates are staggered for many reasons, like different hardware, testing certain things etc.
4. there is nothing (nothing, zip, insert any other description of "nothing" you want here) you can do to get "the latest" other than wait.
4a. (yep, thats right, nothing but wait)
5. You are never alone on a particular software version, regardless of "how behind" you are, or what you read on various websites
5a (Unfortunately, 4 and 4a are all you can do)

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi @jmmowery ,

Welcome to TMC !!!

A suggestion: Use your Tesla App to request service

Under the Software tab > Select "Update"

Put in notes "No software updates - Please check"
They can look at your car remotely to see if any updates have failed
and correct that - or "push" an update that matches your car, feature set,
and location if an update is available.

It also helps to have the selection under software set to "Advanced."

Good luck,

Shawn

That would work if there is a failed update, but given the stated version thats unlikely.

Upvote 0
Here’s the current Model Y firmware distribution among users of the Stats app. I’m on a factory version that isn’t even on the list.

Screenshot 2021-12-16 at 09.52.06.png

Upvote 0
Not sure if this was a coincidence or not, but...
I got my M3LR in May, and through end of October I got 8 software updates, leaving me on 2021.36.8.
The Tesla App kept getting less reliable with each update (didn't track those versions), such as stopped allowing me to edit some PowerWall settings, SuperCharging notifications being seriously delayed, and was also getting rather slow.
I had (correctly) assumed that was due to my Phone being ancient (LG) running Android OS v7, which is 5 years old.
I finally bought a new Phone this week (Pixel 6 running Android 12), and all those problems went away.
Coincidently, shortly after pairing as Phone Key I got a notification that 2021.44.6 was available.

Upvote 0