Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why AP 2.0 Won't Be Here Soon, and It Won't Be What You Think It Is

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's my guess too but for how much longer is the question? Those who are predicting no changes for some time perhaps didn't consider this? We know a faster processor is needed, so perhaps Tesla will start there? The more I think about this, the more I think we will see new hardware soon -- not that I know anything -- just wondering out loud here.

At this point, I really think it depends on how long the existing mobieye contract runs.It sounds like they won't be getting an extension, and there are several reasons why Tesla gains by waiting for the next several months.

So I'm thinking Tesla will cut over when they run out of EyeQ3 chips - either to the full next generation if they have time to get it ready, or to some sort of interim with the new camera processor but nothing else if they aren't ready.

(Presumably they'll have to keep a small supply of EyeQ3s in reserve for warranty repairs, unless they can drop the new processor directly in to both current S and current X applications.)

Does anyone know what is happening to the Mobileye EyeQ3 processor being used by Tesla for AP now that it has broke ties with Tesla? Are different chips going in the cars now? If not, did they break ties but still use the Mobileye's hardware? Given how Mobileye is bashing Tesla, that seems odd, if true.
Good question, given their escalating rancor of late. When the breakup was first reported back in July, the reports also indicated that Mobileye would continue to supply the EyeQ3 to Tesla in the short term. What else could Tesla be using before its "Tesla Vision" goes into production?

He confirmed the three camera system. I mentioned it over the phone the day prior, and he said he would look into it. When I came in for a drive, I asked and it and he confirmed.

Anyway to get him to email that to you.. would be nice back up in case it isn't true.

As someone that is picking up his X on Tuesday and cars built after mine have been delivered without 3 cameras it's a bit disappointing. But until some (ok even one) has been seen in the wild it's hard to believe. I mean not one in a parking lot to test on an open road anywhere in the US?

Ordered my MX today after speaking with the rep at the Tesla store who was "absolutely sure" that my X will include AP 2.0
Estimated delivery near end of October.
Extremely unlikely that a Tesla showroom employee would have accurate information about that future development. We have seen store employees make various claims over the years about future developments, almost always they were incorrect.

Reactions: Matias
While Tesla staff in the service centers, stores/galleries, and customer support all try to be helpful, they have not been a reliable source for information on upcoming changes - and it could be risky making a purchase decision based on what they say might be introduced before a specific car goes into production.

Even if the improved triple cameras start showing up in production cars, that doesn't necessarily mean that's the same as "AP 2.0", since the 2.0 upgrade may have other sensor changes and increased processor support (such as using NVidia's new Drive PX2).

Unless you're prepared to purchase a car with the currently announced hardware, it may be better to wait a little while longer and place your order - when Tesla has officially announced a specific configuration you want. We're waiting for the combination of 100D and AP 2.0, which will hopefully be soon.

Unless you're prepared to purchase a car with the currently announced hardware, it may be better to wait a little while longer and place your order - when Tesla has officially announced a specific configuration you want.
While I agree with the don't-make-your-purchase-decision-based-on-the-speculation-of-the-showroom-guy part, I have to take issue
with the "wait a little while longer" part. No one (outside of Tesla) knows how long that's actually going to be (that's the first point,
right?), so no one can say it will only be a "little while". If you want to be driving a Tesla (which you should! :)) you need to ask
yourself whether it makes sense to delay that gratification indefinitely for an unknown improvement to an experience you haven't had
coming at an unknown time. My recommendation would be to take a(nother?) test drive in a model as close as possible to what you
want to buy and see whether that's really insufficient to your needs (and desires).

Was the store location in California, near headquarters? Maybe the rep has inside information. Usually the reps know less than we do though. He probably thought you were talking about the 8.0 software update.

Yes this was in the bay area. He was very sure about it, even after asking him three different times. It sort of follows the rumored October timeline

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I might try to call in the toll free sales number to get another confirmation. I'm not in a rush, and hate to get a vehicle a month before refresh.

Yes this was in the bay area. He was very sure about it, even after asking him three different times. It sort of follows the rumored October timeline.

But not the rumored July timeline (with fancy schematics,) or the rumored August timeline, or the rumored September timeline. We've been down this road a bunch of times this year. At this point I see no reason to believe October is any more realistic. :)