Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are CHAdeMO only fast chargers so unpopular in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Has anyone ever seen or charged at a privately owned single-CHAdeMO or single-CCS Charger?

Just wondering, I have actually never seen a CHAdeMO-only fast charger when I have seen many CCS-only chargers at Volkswagen, BMW, Chevy and possibly Ford dealers. CHAdeMO-only in Canada are extremely rare: Truro Hampton Inn, RRC Manitoba, Nissan/Mitsubishi head offices Toronto are the only ones I know of. With that in mind, CHAdeMO-only chargers are almost as common as CCS-only chargers in the US and Chademo-only are the most popular in Europe.

Does anyone have any ideas on why there are so few CHAdeMO-only chargers in Canada?

EDIT: I know this topic is completely irrelevant, but I’ve had it on my mind for a while and just wanted to get it out.

Everything they put in BC now is combo. We are seeing about 15 or so Chademo/CCS combos added per year in BC. The kootenays build out is almost done. Then the 97 corridor north to Squamish will begin. We are at about 70 either finished or under construction CHADEMO/CCS combos in BC. I’m happy with the progress.

Canada's a big place. We have a lot of Chademo out here in BC. Only recently have I started to see CCS. Most are L2 and/or Chademo.
According my count, PlugShare shows 67 CHAdeMO-capable charger locations in BC and 74 CCS-capable locations.

10 of those locations are marked as “coming soon” but most had photos of what looked like fully installed dual-cable hardware installed by the same charging provider that was imminently about to be turned on for public use. If you don’t count them it would then be 57 CHAdeMO vs 64 CCS.

Some locations will have more than one charger and I did not attempt to count the total number of CHAdeMO vs CCS charging spaces, just overall locations with at least one CHAdeMO or CCS plug available.

Last edited: