TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why are CHAdeMO only fast chargers so unpopular in Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mr. PlugShare, May 19, 2018.

1. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare For the Love of EVs

Has anyone ever seen or charged at a privately owned single-CHAdeMO or single-CCS Charger?

Just wondering, I have actually never seen a CHAdeMO-only fast charger when I have seen many CCS-only chargers at Volkswagen, BMW, Chevy and possibly Ford dealers. CHAdeMO-only in Canada are extremely rare: Truro Hampton Inn, RRC Manitoba, Nissan/Mitsubishi head offices Toronto are the only ones I know of. With that in mind, CHAdeMO-only chargers are almost as common as CCS-only chargers in the US and Chademo-only are the most popular in Europe.

Does anyone have any ideas on why there are so few CHAdeMO-only chargers in Canada?

EDIT: I know this topic is completely irrelevant, but I’ve had it on my mind for a while and just wanted to get it out.

2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Basically the entire industry, except for Nissan and Tesla, has shifted to CCS as the standard of choice it seems. CHAdeMO is an inferior standard.

3. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare For the Love of EVs

Yes but is it because Canada was more or less late on the implanting of fast chargers?

4. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

More late, and falling further behind the rest of the world by the second.

5. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Maybe in Saskatchewan but definitely not in Québec!

6. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

The first eight or so DCFC in BC, were CHAdeMO only. Then, when the i3 was released in late 2013 BMW paid BC to have CCS added to those existing units.

• Informative x 1
  7. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Let’s bet Chademo adapter will soon be able to used on Model 3. Looks like CCS never a option for Tesla.

8. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

Everything they put in BC now is combo. We are seeing about 15 or so Chademo/CCS combos added per year in BC. The kootenays build out is almost done. Then the 97 corridor north to Squamish will begin. We are at about 70 either finished or under construction CHADEMO/CCS combos in BC. I’m happy with the progress.

9. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Canada's a big place. We have a lot of Chademo out here in BC. Only recently have I started to see CCS. Most are L2 and/or Chademo.

10. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

#10 Jeff N, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    According my count, PlugShare shows 67 CHAdeMO-capable charger locations in BC and 74 CCS-capable locations.

10 of those locations are marked as “coming soon” but most had photos of what looked like fully installed dual-cable hardware installed by the same charging provider that was imminently about to be turned on for public use. If you don’t count them it would then be 57 CHAdeMO vs 64 CCS.

Some locations will have more than one charger and I did not attempt to count the total number of CHAdeMO vs CCS charging spaces, just overall locations with at least one CHAdeMO or CCS plug available.

11. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Ontario government funding required all L3 chargers dual.

• Informative x 1