Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are my feet cold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After posting and reading many threads on cold drivers feet in both the MS and MX I have concluded it is a poor design.

The best I have been able to do is to put the system on manual, split the front temp settings. Set the drivers side to 78F, the passenger side to 72-75, fan at least 4 or higher, AC Off, recirculate and air to feet.

Still not hot, but tolerable.

I live in BC and find the heating barely adequate. Lukewarm actually and sort of unsatisfying. Our 35,000$ wrangler is thermonuclear in 4 minutes. The annoying thing is that there is not much to this car in terms of moving parts and I get the FWD are complex, but putting in a meh heating system is just plain silly. I thought Elon lived in Saskatchewan for a year - he should know better. Thank god the weather warmed up this week.

A 90 KV battery should be able to power a furnace on high settings and within 10 seconds frankly.

At -30C outdoor temp, I leave the settings in manual. Recirc off, AC off, temp at 20C, fan at 4. Air to feet only, it still splits 30% of the air to the windshield so it stays clear and enough air moves around the side windows to prevent fogging. Two inner dash vents fully closed. I do get some iceing of the driver's window, but I think that's due to a poor design whereby the vent is nearly fully closed when the louvers are angled towards the window. Usually kicking the fan up to 5 is sufficient to clear the side window, then set back to 4. I usually only have ice issues at highway speeds, the wind chill at 110 km/h with -30C ambient temps is a little more than the fan can handle at 4. My last highway trip I passed a Mercedes Sprinter van whose side windows were fully iced over though, so not like it's unique to Tesla.

Range mode absolutely kills the heat to the car, I only use it if absolutely necessary.

Your results may vary, of course.

I checked the rectangular slot above the accelerator pedal and I was definitely getting heat from there. It just doesn't normally seem to reach my feet. This might simply require a deflector to direct the heat to a useful spot.

An update on my cold feet syndrome. Ever since I got the car in 2016 as soon as the outside temp got around 45F I experienced cold feet. Never really could find a solution.

Well yesterday was my first trip at < 32F with Version 9x and am happy to report my feet are now warm.:D

I will state that my upper legs were a bit cool and a little bit less on my torso (at 75F cabin temp) even when the outside temp was as low as 15F. So great news on this from from my limited experience yesterday (about 5 hours worth of driving).

When V9 came out I complained to Tesla that on the cooling side I had to set it 2 degrees cooler to achieve the same comfort level. But for heating they seemed to have addressed my older concern 90%.

I have a 2018 MX, wife complained about feet being cold. Set the air to the floor, the vent is high above the pedals therefore the air cools before it gets to your feet and it blows between the pedals. I created a plastic deflector mounted it to the vent area and it is in an angle toward the accelerator pedal. I do notice an improvement to some degree, it certainly doesn't heat like any of the other ICE cars we have but it helps. Just a tip...

2017 MX 7 seater here. Noticed the cold feet issue recently when some visitors were in town. Started to pay closer attention and fiddled with heat settings. Noticed a considerable improvement after setting air to recirculating. Seems that the cold air did not heat fast enough (just guessing). I don’t have any long drive experiences but so far this seems to do the trick. I have also noticed my Wh/mi go up significantly since doing this. ~330 to ~450.

An update on my cold feet syndrome. Ever since I got the car in 2016 as soon as the outside temp got around 45F I experienced cold feet. Never really could find a solution.

Well yesterday was my first trip at < 32F with Version 9x and am happy to report my feet are now warm.:D

I will state that my upper legs were a bit cool and a little bit less on my torso (at 75F cabin temp) even when the outside temp was as low as 15F. So great news on this from from my limited experience yesterday (about 5 hours worth of driving).

When V9 came out I complained to Tesla that on the cooling side I had to set it 2 degrees cooler to achieve the same comfort level. But for heating they seemed to have addressed my older concern 90%.
Well last night my car updated to 2018.48.12.1. I am now back to suffering the cold feet and cabin again. :(

All sounds very odd. My X is always very warm, nice and stable temperature. I have not even once taken off the ’auto’ setting, even the fogging is extremely rare (in those cases minute or two heat to the windshield is enough).

Thank you guys for the Idea with the air-redirector.
Another Tesla owner here in Switzerland 3D printed the part also for me. I installed it and it works! :)
The imaging is quick and dirty. Sorry for the quality but you get the idea:

Before-After.jpg