Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are people waiting at Costco gas stations instead of buying Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately Costco does not sell common sense or math degrees. There are so many studies done showing the cost of ownership over 5 years and a Model 3 (suitable for most people) beats most vehicles costing less. And the older the ICE vehicle the bigger and more constant repairs. So quite a few people could in fact benefit by switching to the Model 3. Pay now or pay later continuously. Furthermore, we will all paying the price the clean up the mess that ICE cars pollution have caused to our planet.

Have you checked Isle 5 ?

The folks trying to save a few cents on gas are probably not the folks that can make a $40k purchase.

I disagree. I could more than afford to buy my Tesla and I still have two ICS vehicles AND when either ICE needs gas I go to Costco. Why pay more than you have to? It's simply economics. Also, maybe there in Texas there's very little price difference between Costco and your local stations, but out here in SoCal I've seen $ .25 to $ .50 difference between Costco and other notable stations. For instance, the nearby Costco is at $3.99/gal for regular and the Shell around the corner is $4.39/gal., so if I take 18 gals in my wife's car, that's a savings of $7. My dually took 34 gallons.

Reactions: phaheem
I have never seen a group of sanctimonious people than some of the Tesla owners here. Who are we to tell people on what cars others should buy, what millionaires should drive and where they should fill their gas. They may have a thousand reasons for fillings gas in Costco. They don't tell us where we should be charging our Teslas.

And no, I don't want to have EV spot in Costco. Costco is in the business of making money for its shareholders, not giving out free electricity for EV owners who are too cheap to charge at home or pay for superchargers. And if you have seen the full parking lots at Costco where people fight for a spot about to open up I don't want rows of spots reserved for EV owners trying to get freebies both outside (electricity) and inside ( free samples).

And I say this as an EV owner. Unless we stop with the holier than thou attitude we will see more incidents of keying and "ICE-ing" our Teslas as they take out their frustrations on us. Live and let live.

I disagree. I could more than afford to buy my Tesla and I still have two ICS vehicles AND when either ICE needs gas I go to Costco. Why pay more than you have to? It's simply economics. Also, maybe there in Texas there's very little price difference between Costco and your local stations, but out here in SoCal I've seen $ .25 to $ .50 difference between Costco and other notable stations. For instance, the nearby Costco is at $3.99/gal for regular and the Shell around the corner is $4.39/gal., so if I take 18 gals in my wife's car, that's a savings of $7. My dually took 34 gallons.
It seems like that's what people seem to keep dinging my comment on. I didn't word it appropriately. I agree in that saving money on gas does not equate to you not being able to afford a Tesla. I also pick between a set of gas stations when I need to fill up on my Civic and usually pick the cheaper one. I apologize for miswording that.

What I meant to say is that buying a Tesla is not a "save money" strategy. Someone else said it more clearly than I earlier in the thread in that the post reeks very much of First World Problems. "Why are people spending $40/week when they can just purchase a $40,000 car and not have to spend that money weekly?". That logic just doesn't make sense.

So I apologize for phrasing my statement as it is.

Lack of imagination and mental laziness. That said, when I had a gas car I'd wait in line at Costco sometimes. It was less about the few cents a gallon and more about being efficient. I'm happy to wait a couple minutes if it means I don't to make another stop on my way home, pull of the road, fill, wait for another light or two etc.
I have never seen a group of sanctimonious people than some of the Tesla owners here. Who are we to tell people on what cars others should buy, what millionaires should drive and where they should fill their gas. They may have a thousand reasons for fillings gas in Costco. They don't tell us where we should be charging our Teslas.

And no, I don't want to have EV spot in Costco. Costco is in the business of making money for its shareholders, not giving out free electricity for EV owners who are too cheap to charge at home or pay for superchargers. And if you have seen the full parking lots at Costco where people fight for a spot about to open up I don't want rows of spots reserved for EV owners trying to get freebies both outside (electricity) and inside ( free samples).

And I say this as an EV owner. Unless we stop with the holier than thou attitude we will see more incidents of keying and "ICE-ing" our Teslas as they take out their frustrations on us. Live and let live.
Who are we? People who have to breathe the air pollution that gas cars put out.

I spend a crap ton of money at Costco, and as a customer I'd like to see charging there. I'm sorry that makes you mad.

I was going to ask how long the average Tesla owner sits while charging, but considering V10 update mostly included media updates like Netflix integration, I'm guessing its longer than people at Costco
My average is about 60 seconds. 4-10 SC session a year at 30 mins each and then daily fueling at literally 5 seconds.
Buying this car to save money doesn't quite make sense. At best, it's a $40,000 purchase. The folks trying to save a few cents on gas are probably not the folks that can make a $40k purchase.

If it was about saving money, I'd just keep my Honda Civic.
The average Costco shopper would have no trouble paying 40k for a car. Their customer demographics are quite wealthy. Nobody "buys a tesla to save money", they buy a Tesla for various reasons, one of those is that you will save money over a comparable car. Obviously buying no car is the best way to save money.

Last edited:
Who are we to tell people on what cars others should buy, what millionaires should drive and where they should fill their gas.

When you stand for everything, you stand for nothing. :)

If I ran a high end restaurant and a billionaire came in wearing cargo shorts or yoga pants I'd tell them to GTFO. Doesn't matter if they can buy out the restaurant and fire me in a second. Principles.

People I would have no qualms about disparaging:

1.) Spend above 30K on an EV and not get a Tesla.
2.) Have money but dress/drive/spend like bums.
3.) Nouveau riche / Tuhao
4.) People who's time carries so little value they make less than minimum wage by pumping gas at Costco and go through effort for "free" supercharging.

If you were a multi millionaire you are an idiot if you drive around a beater car. It’s just not appropriate to slum it unless you are a hermit and have no friends of similar class.

Only if they can deliver a combo slice and a hot dog to my car.

My sister has significantly more money than I do and her daily driver is a filthy Ford Fusion with a cracked windshield. I was visiting last weekend and we talked about economic classes. I define poor, middle class, and rich as follows:

Poor - People who don't have enough money to cover all the necessities

Middle Class - People who have enough for the necessities, but not enough for all their wants.

Rich - People who have enough for everything they could want with money left over.

When someone reaches the "rich" point they are at a choice point. They can either decide that they have enough money and it's time to concentrate on other things (work on yourself, make the world a better place, etc.) or it is all about keeping score. The latter tend to continue to accumulate money so they can brag to their neighbors about how much they have. IMO that's a hollow pursuit, I'm more in the former camp (though I'm not there, I'm still middle class).

My sister was complaining about some of her neighbors who are very status conscious, but she isn't. Most of her friends are people with much modest means than her and she's helped out quite a few of them over the years. She has one friend who lives part time in a trailer on her property and feeds her animals when she's away in return. Another who wasn't there that weekend is a Hispanic immigrant who also has a trailer. He helps maintain the grounds in exchange for his housing.

She normally wears grubby jeans and a cowboy shirt. She has enough money to drive any car she wants, and the garage space for it. Her partner used to restore old cars and has them stashed in buildings all over the property. A couple have been fully restored at this point.

I cringe when I think about what others may think of me when they see me driving a Model S. Before this car I drove a 24 year old Buick I bought new in 1992. I'm not into status and personally think it's chasing a false thing. At the end of the day the most important thing is how we think of ourselves and what those who truly know us think of us. What some stranger on the street or in a restaurant thinks is irrelevant.

But that's just my opinion, I know others here think differently. If it wasn't for some people seeking status symbols some art would never be created. Art that might be interesting, even if I have zero interest in owning it.

Reactions: OhioJoe49
Let Costco customer service know that EV drivers need to charge up sometimes.
It would be great for Costco to add in a row of high powered EV chargers in its parking lot.
30 minutes of shopping is just about right. Even a row of level 2 chargers would be great.
Time for Costco to go electric. By the way why no solar panels on the roof at Costco.

SIx or seven years ago, the Costco(s) in north Dallas used to have level 2 chargers but they took them out due to lack of use. I think they were just ahead of their time and they put chargers in before there was the demand for them that there is now.

Rich and poor shop at Costco. It is a value thing, where you have limited selection and relatively large portions, but prices are low with quality being high.

Costco shopping is also a combat sport. People cram inside, showing their membership card to door monitors. They stand in line and jockey around to get free samples of food and drink. They scurry around with oversized shopping carts. Isles are not labeled, so you need to go up and down every isle to see what is new, and which items are no longer in stock. If you see something you like, you are trained to grab it, because it may not be there next week. Seasonal items are displayed well before their season. Fans will be displayed in the Spring, but by the hot Summer they will be sold out.

Costco shoppers are highly aware of the volume values. Cherioos come in large 2 packs. Cost less than one box at the grocery store. Toilet paper comes in 36-48 roll packs and water bottles in 40, 500 ml. bottle packs (only 2.99). Giant bottle of tide, dog beds, 2 packs of bread loaves etc. All at prices far below regular retail.

Lines are everywhere. You need a sharp eye to pick out the fastest check out line. Double checkers are at every cash register. You can pay with a tap of your membership card, and get a 2-3% discounts off your purchases as well. Another line awaits you as you que up for another door minder, who will check your purchases against your receipt. They make sure the check out employees properly rang you up.

Outside you will again struggle with your giant shopping cart. Load the boxes (provided free or course) into your SUV and then walk up the isle to corral your empty shopping cart.

Then it is off the the convenient gas station. Prices are 10-30 cents cheaper than the branded stations across the street. You don't just pick a line, but constantly eye and manouver your car from line to line to get into the fastest moving one. When you arrive at the pumps you will need to make sure that pump hose is on the side of your gas filler, otherwise you will need to drag that heavy hose across your trunk to reach. Pumping stations are in groups of 4. Each side has two pumps. You often need to wait until the vehicle in front of you finishes and pulls out to allow you to exit.

It is kind a a cult. Costco people are from all walks of life, and are in search of value above all. They quickly learn the system and feel comfortable there. Values are everwhere. You can buy a cold bottle of water from a vending machine for only 25 cents ($1.50 at a gas station quickie mart vending machine). Very popular are largish freshly roasted chickens $5. Super tasty. A large hot dog and large drink (with free refills) is only $1.50. Some of the best pizza in town is available by the slice or by the pie. A Chicken Bake is made with fresh pizza dough for those wanting something different. Eyeglasses with bi-focal scratch coated lenses in good quality frames are about $80. Hearing aids from major brands are about 1/2 price of other places. Hearing tests are free. They fill your glasses cleaning sprayers for free. Giant flat screen TV are much less than at other retail sellers, and they often sell them even cheaper as a two pack!

Their tire prices are hard to beat, however selections are not vast. They mount and balance cheaply, but have good equipment and well trained staff. My local Costco even has Tesla hoist pucks on the shelf to make lifting more secure. They fill with Nitrogen free and are quick in and out. Most shop for a while until they get a text that their car is ready.

Costco shoppers are loyal and the quality of their products are high.

I sometimes see entire families using that snack bar to provide an inexpensive dining experience among their fellow shoppers.

No need to cast aspergions. Would not be fair to the faithful. Judge not...lest you be judged.

My sister has significantly more money than I do and her daily driver is a filthy Ford Fusion with a cracked windshield. I was visiting last weekend and we talked about economic classes. I define poor, middle class, and rich as follows:

Poor - People who don't have enough money to cover all the necessities

Middle Class - People who have enough for the necessities, but not enough for all their wants.

Rich - People who have enough for everything they could want with money left over.

When someone reaches the "rich" point they are at a choice point. They can either decide that they have enough money and it's time to concentrate on other things (work on yourself, make the world a better place, etc.) or it is all about keeping score. The latter tend to continue to accumulate money so they can brag to their neighbors about how much they have. IMO that's a hollow pursuit, I'm more in the former camp (though I'm not there, I'm still middle class).

My sister was complaining about some of her neighbors who are very status conscious, but she isn't. Most of her friends are people with much modest means than her and she's helped out quite a few of them over the years. She has one friend who lives part time in a trailer on her property and feeds her animals when she's away in return. Another who wasn't there that weekend is a Hispanic immigrant who also has a trailer. He helps maintain the grounds in exchange for his housing.

She normally wears grubby jeans and a cowboy shirt. She has enough money to drive any car she wants, and the garage space for it. Her partner used to restore old cars and has them stashed in buildings all over the property. A couple have been fully restored at this point.

I cringe when I think about what others may think of me when they see me driving a Model S. Before this car I drove a 24 year old Buick I bought new in 1992. I'm not into status and personally think it's chasing a false thing. At the end of the day the most important thing is how we think of ourselves and what those who truly know us think of us. What some stranger on the street or in a restaurant thinks is irrelevant.

But that's just my opinion, I know others here think differently. If it wasn't for some people seeking status symbols some art would never be created. Art that might be interesting, even if I have zero interest in owning it.

Money doesn’t mean class. There’s no reason not to clean up your car or fix the broken windshield if you can afford to do it.

People with status imply they chased and are constantly chasing it. There’s no rule for fitting in your social circles. There's an unspoken "appearance" you just maintain. Too rich, people complain. Too poor, people complain. If they don't say it to your face, they say it behind your back.

No matter poor, middle, rich the fundamental theorem of Economics never falters - "Unlimited wants, limited resources". Those with more money have diminishing returns with additional money but it doesn't mean they don't want more of it. You build a 590 ft yacht, you will be annoyed when someone else builds a 600 ft yacht. I don't mind being the owner of a 590 ft yacht but the 590 ft yacht owners knows hes only got the second best boat in the game.

It's also a projection that those who are "status conscious" are not generous to others. Those of status are the most equipped to help to give opportunities to those who lack them. What poor person ever created a job? None - unless you are a politician.

I truly wish Tesla's were not status symbols. I could take them everywhere without SOME people making assumptions of who you are if you drive one. OC needs to hurry up and even get more of them so I can slide in as another "Accord owner".

what those who truly know us think of us.

If you are not approachable from not fitting in, how do people truly get to know you?

Last edited:
As a reference point, Costco Gas is generally 20 to 30 cents cheaper per gallon here in OC. The line also goes fairly fast, even when they are ridiculously long. A good comparison would be at Fountain Valley Costco, where you have both Costco gas and Tesla Superchargers. The lines at that Supercharger can be quite a bit worse than the Costco line, especially once wait time is included.

Also, current EV selections are just not good for large family with small kids. In my Model 3, we can fit the 4 of us, but we can't use it to transport our parents and other family members when they visited. And before people suggested a Model X, we did actually had that for a while. The 3rd row is just not comfortable for an adult. And it's also 2 to 3x more than a minivan, and cannot carry as much as a minivan.

I like my Model 3, but I do think we need to stop beating on people who don't have/want/can't switch to EV.

Reactions: Kamban
Money doesn’t mean class. There’s no reason not to clean up your car or fix the broken windshield if you can afford to do it.

Some people have higher priorities than keeping their car looking good.

People with status imply they chased and are constantly chasing it. There’s no rule for fitting in your social circles. There's an unspoken "appearance" you just maintain. Too rich, people complain. Too poor, people complain. If they don't say it to your face, they say it behind your back.

No matter poor, middle, rich the fundamental theorem of Economics never falters - "Unlimited wants, limited resources". Those with more money have diminishing returns with additional money but it doesn't mean they don't want more of it. You build a 590 ft yacht, you will be annoyed when someone else builds a 600 ft yacht. I don't mind being the owner of a 590 ft yacht but the 590 ft yacht owners knows hes only got the second best boat in the game.

There are also people out there with the money to buy just about any yacht they want, but have no desire to own one. The keeping up with the Jones' thing is not universal. The guy driving the 1985 Toyota pickup next to you at the traffic light could be the richest guy in town, but he doesn't care if you know it.

It's also a projection that those who are "status conscious" are not generous to others. Those of status are the most equipped to help to give opportunities to those who lack them. What poor person ever created a job? None - unless you are a politician.

I truly wish Tesla's were not status symbols. I could take them everywhere without SOME people making assumptions of who you are if you drive one. OC needs to hurry up and even get more of them so I can slide in as another "Accord owner".

Nick Hanauer has pointed out that rich people don't really create jobs. Consumer demand creates jobs:
Nick Hanauer explodes the myth of the capitalist 'job creator'

If you are not approachable from not fitting in, how do people truly get to know you?

If I was rich, I would much prefer to hang out with interesting middle class or even poor people than rich people who want to judge me by my bling. I think you make the mistaken assumption that all rich people want to hang out with other rich people. Those who got rich and are focusing on other things aren't interested in hanging out with other rich people who just want to keep score.

If I was rich, I would much prefer to hang out with interesting middle class or even poor people....

HauntingDismalGermanspitz.webp

When you stand for everything, you stand for nothing. :)

If I ran a high end restaurant and a billionaire came in wearing cargo shorts or yoga pants I'd tell them to GTFO. Doesn't matter if they can buy out the restaurant and fire me in a second. Principles.

People I would have no qualms about disparaging:

1.) Spend above 30K on an EV and not get a Tesla.
2.) Have money but dress/drive/spend like bums.
3.) Nouveau riche / Tuhao
4.) People who's time carries so little value they make less than minimum wage by pumping gas at Costco and go through effort for "free" supercharging.

But if you don't own anything or provide service it does not matter what you think of the billionaire or what he thinks of you. Both of you can live your own lives.

If you disparage others don't be surprised if they do the same to you Humility goes a long way in keeping friends.

SIx or seven years ago, the Costco(s) in north Dallas used to have level 2 chargers but they took them out due to lack of use. I think they were just ahead of their time and they put chargers in before there was the demand for them that there is now.

Were those free Level 2 chargers or one you pay for with your credit card.

If free, if will make the combat sport described above even worse. If pay, then I see it used sparingly and used more as a parking spot.