Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why are some lights white, others orange?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 MS
The steering wheel forward back buttons have a white back light, the ambient lights are white, the dome lights are white.
So why is the gear shift stalk use orange back lights? And the window control modules, they use an orange back light too.

Has anyone changed these back lights? I don't understand why they are different colors than everything else in the car.

2013 MS
The steering wheel forward back buttons have a white back light, the ambient lights are white, the dome lights are white.
So why is the gear shift stalk use orange back lights? And the window control modules, they use an orange back light too.

Has anyone changed these back lights? I don't understand why they are different colors than everything else in the car.
The stalks and window buttons are from the Mercedes parts bin, or at least they used to be, so that's probably why they're different.

and no one at tesla thought to maybe change the LED's to match all the rest of the car?
Has anyone changed these themselves?
In my previous car I had a guy take out the dash and desolder all the LED's and change them from orange to blue. He also changed them inside the window control units.

and no one at tesla thought to maybe change the LED's to match all the rest of the car?
As Gizmotoy stated they were (are) parts shared with Mercedes. I'm sure this was for cost reduction and having readily available parts from the supply chain. I'm sure in the next generation S things like this will be addressed to make a cohesive interior, but right now I am pretty sure making all the LEDs match color is about as low of a priority as it can be.

While it may be annoying or what have you, there are much more pressing things to add/fix/correct hardware and software-wise.

Lexus interiors and gauges were blue and white.
So that was why. Trust me.. it looked sick.

But yeah, orange buttons when everything else is white looks very thrown together.
Guess I'll try and find some spare control modules so I can have a friend de-solder and re-solder some new LED's