TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why are some M3s fully wrapped for delivery and others not?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SoCalGuy, Jul 19, 2018.

1. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

I've noticed in many pics of car carriers that some Model 3s have protective wraps while others are fully exposed. Does anyone know why this is? Seems weird to do it by trim level (eg more expensive cars get wrapped and others don't).

Eg
    IMG_3125.PNG

2. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

They don't want us to see some panel gaps. /s

• Funny x 10
  3. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Ultimate destination, possibly? If delivering close by, I could see them not wrapping them. If it's going cross-country, wrap it up!

• Like x 1
  4. Wise1919

Wise1919 Member

Are any Model 3s being shipped by train? If so they are probably wrapping those to protect against rail dust that etches into the paint.

5. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

Vehicle wrap has been known to allow non-fully cured paint time to fully cure....without the sun beating down on it causing microfractures (circles) in the paint.

However...I have no clue as to why Tesla is doing it.

Lets see... what color is missing on that truck? Blue? Charcoal grey?

6. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Orignally they didnt wrap any of the cars. You are lucky they are wrapped mostly now

• Like x 1
  7. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

They didn't want to? How do you know?

Why is anyone lucky? It doesn't look like they are mostly wrapped....did you see the truck? 2 out of 9 were wrapped.

8. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

So no one knows for sure?

9. cil0n

cil0n Member

I believe they all come wrapped. Most of the time in transport the wind, etc causes the wrapping to come off partially so the truck driver will take most of it off and put it in the trunk to prevent any issues on the road (eg. wrapping flying off on highway and obstructing another driver's vision).

• Funny x 2
  10. fr100

fr100 Member

You can tell in this video they are selectively wrapped at the factory. I think the paint cure theory makes the most sense.

• Like x 1
  11. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

Because of lack of wrapping and ensuing damage (that's the theory anyway), my delivery was effectively delayed by 2-1/2 months.

12. cil0n

cil0n Member

On second thought I agree with you. Paint cure does make more sense.

13. StellarRat

StellarRat Member

I'm going to go with cars that are going overseas to wrapped against saltwater in port, etc... remember the US is not the only place Tesla sells cars!

14. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Saw a bunch of 3s and S's on a trailer today ... only the 3s were wrapped!

15. paladinfello

paladinfello Member

I’m less than 50 miles from the factory so my car was delivered to me. When talking on the phone I found out that my Model 3 was already stored here in the city and that it was bagged/covered. I asked if they could leave it on for the drive over, which they tried to do but were forced to remove it when the hooks broke off and the cover was flying in the wind. There are a lot of seagulls where they keep the Tesla’s here in the city so that might be a contributing factor to a full covering. Car wasn’t detailed when I got it, asked them not to, so it was just a small layer of dirt caked on.

16. Need

Need Active Member

Haha, I wonder if they cover mostly silver cars. When I had a silver car, it got bird poops on it all the time. I was told that birds like to poop on newly washed silver cars the most because they reflect sunlights up to the sky.