Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are some M3s fully wrapped for delivery and others not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed in many pics of car carriers that some Model 3s have protective wraps while others are fully exposed. Does anyone know why this is? Seems weird to do it by trim level (eg more expensive cars get wrapped and others don't).

Eg
IMG_3125.PNG

Vehicle wrap has been known to allow non-fully cured paint time to fully cure....without the sun beating down on it causing microfractures (circles) in the paint.

However...I have no clue as to why Tesla is doing it.

Lets see... what color is missing on that truck? Blue? Charcoal grey?

I believe they all come wrapped. Most of the time in transport the wind, etc causes the wrapping to come off partially so the truck driver will take most of it off and put it in the trunk to prevent any issues on the road (eg. wrapping flying off on highway and obstructing another driver's vision).

I believe they all come wrapped. Most of the time in transport the wind, etc causes the wrapping to come off partially so the truck driver will take most of it off and put it in the trunk to prevent any issues on the road (eg. wrapping flying off on highway and obstructing another driver's vision).

You can tell in this video they are selectively wrapped at the factory. I think the paint cure theory makes the most sense.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
I’m less than 50 miles from the factory so my car was delivered to me. When talking on the phone I found out that my Model 3 was already stored here in the city and that it was bagged/covered. I asked if they could leave it on for the drive over, which they tried to do but were forced to remove it when the hooks broke off and the cover was flying in the wind. There are a lot of seagulls where they keep the Tesla’s here in the city so that might be a contributing factor to a full covering. Car wasn’t detailed when I got it, asked them not to, so it was just a small layer of dirt caked on.

There are a lot of seagulls where they keep the Tesla’s here in the city so that might be a contributing factor to a full covering.

Haha, I wonder if they cover mostly silver cars. When I had a silver car, it got bird poops on it all the time. I was told that birds like to poop on newly washed silver cars the most because they reflect sunlights up to the sky.