Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are TACC, AP (and ?FSD) so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, if you’re trying to make a car work on vision alone, but another way is just to do what the automakers that have made this feature for many years, instead of making people that want their car to park pay for a go fund me.
Agreed, no worries this is just a stupid idea that the engineers I am sure have already pointed out and multiple sensors and many more of them will be the answer for safety. As will be configurations and improvements on how it handles the 1000's of odd ball possibilities that happen all the time when we drive that we just instantly respond to using the biggest and best computer in the world, our brains.

EVERYONE drives on the interstate and can be distracted while in the flow of traffic. Or simply it is raining and the tires are not 100% or oil on the road. Or over 100 other issues. In the end, slamming on your brakes on the highway is bad if the car does it or the human. the car should be able to be made to do it better then the human.

So the argument is if the car stops in the middle of the highway and gets hit in the rear, it is the other drivers fault. Fact is technically you are right. Fact is this is a terrible argument, the damn car should not stop for very little reason on the HIGHWAY.

This is a Software/Hardware/Tesla/Technology problem, at some point Ladies and Gentleman we have to realize we are using Beta software that does dumb stuff sometimes.

For the good of Tesla and society, hold them accountable and that way like any good athlete, they can take the criticism and get better.
BUT it’s YOUR responsibility as a driver to avoid hitting stuff that is supposed to be on the highway! That Tesla did NOT fall off the back of a truck! Just as it is the responsibility of every Tesla driver to pay attention to their car! It’s NOT a robotic car! You created a fake argument (straw dog) and then proceeded to burn it and then claimed you won! Jeez..

Reactions: drtimhill
Datapoint (and an opinion, and then a whine): Drove from SoCal to Boulder, CO (via I-40) and back (via I-70) this past spring break. I own a 2019 Model 3 Base RWD with no AP and a 2023 Model Y Dual Motor LR that we drove this time. The Model Y phantom braked more than 10 times on this road trip. I saved some recordings of a few when I remembered to. PB ruins a peaceful drive - I'm driving in very light traffic and the car decides to brake from 82 to 75 while I'm hitting the accelerator trying to get it to behave and then the whole family who was sleeping is shaken awake thinking the end is coming. WTF?

Between the buffeting/boominess issues (which I mitigated by DIY) and this stupid PB that I'm now experiencing for the first time - wow. Again, WTF?

My 2019 Base Model 3 with it's "dumb" CC is a way more enjoyable ride than a ticking time bomb PB nonsense. Had to have my hand ready to cancel TACC and my foot near the accelerator the whole time just in case PB happened.

Reactions: COS Blue
My 2019 Base Model 3 with it's "dumb" CC is a way more enjoyable ride than a ticking time bomb PB nonsense.
On a recent road trip, I met a guy with a BMW i4 at an EA charger. We were comparing notes on our cars. I asked him if he knew what phantom braking was. He was like, "well I've heard of the concept I guess." I told him about my experience with PB while using TACC and he said "Oh I just turn all that stuff off and just use cruise control." I told him I sure wish I could do that! So jealous!

For most of the road trip (Colorado to Chicago and back), PB wasn't a big issue. Maybe 2 or 3 times each way. Which honestly still isn't acceptable but it's better than what I expected. Then on the way back on I 76 heading southwest toward Denver, it just couldn't handle it. Late afternoon sun at an angle was making mirages on the highway and it went into PB overdrive. It got bad enough that I had to turn off cruise control if there was a car anywhere behind me. Pretty lame.

On a recent road trip, I met a guy with a BMW i4 at an EA charger. We were comparing notes on our cars. I asked him if he knew what phantom braking was. He was like, "well I've heard of the concept I guess." I told him about my experience with PB while using TACC and he said "Oh I just turn all that stuff off and just use cruise control." I told him I sure wish I could do that! So jealous!

For most of the road trip (Colorado to Chicago and back), PB wasn't a big issue. Maybe 2 or 3 times each way. Which honestly still isn't acceptable but it's better than what I expected. Then on the way back on I 76 heading southwest toward Denver, it just couldn't handle it. Late afternoon sun at an angle was making mirages on the highway and it went into PB overdrive. It got bad enough that I had to turn off cruise control if there was a car anywhere behind me. Pretty lame.
Yeah, it is crazy lame that Tesla does not give you the option of 'dumb' cruise like (everybody?) else does. But the problem is, they would then know the results of that A/B test via telemetry and I suspect the results would be rather embarrassing regarding 'dumb' vs. AP/TACC usage. As long as Elon is in charge, automation is the company-mandated religion in all things.

Reactions: zoomer0056