Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are Teslas excluded from BC Scrap-It program?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While test-driving a Polestar 2 recently (in North Vancouver location), the salesperson let us know that the Polestar 2 qualifies for the BC Scrap-It program, where you can get $6000 when replacing a qualifying ICE vehicle with a qualifying EV vehicle. Hey, cool, since my trade wouldn't be worth that much anyway. I don't recall if he specifically mentioned that Tesla was excluded, but he definitely framed it as a nice bonus available to Polestar 2 buyers.

Later I decided to double-check the Scrap-it website, and while my current car would qualify to replace, Neither Model Y nor Model 3 (most variations of both are under the $77k limit for the program) are listed as qualifying! Qualifying EVs – SCRAP-IT.

Does anyone know why this is? It makes little sense to me given that Teslas definitely meet their definition of an EV, and similarly pricey vehicles such as the Polestar 2, Mach E, and Volvo XC40 BEV (all with notes about the 77k MSRP limit) qualify. Would love to know what's up.

You've got to look at the FAQ page to find your answer:

Can I buy a used electric vehicle from a participating New Car Dealer, and still be eligible for the EV program rebate?
Yes. Provided that you purchased the used EV from a participating dealer.

Do out of province/country vehicles qualify? Can I purchase an electric vehicle from Alberta, Washington or California?
No. The vehicle must be purchased from a participating dealership, in BC by a resident of BC. If a participating dealership has legally imported a vehicle from the US for sale in Canada then it will qualify.

In case you missed it (the underlined bit), you need to buy from a stealership. Tesla doesn't have those, therefore doesn't qualify. I know, pretty stupid. :(

Thanks for all the responses. Yes to clarify I want to replace my ICE vehicle with a MY.

@dandan I did not realize that Scrap-it is a private entity, and rather thought it was a provincial government program.

So it sounds like it's either that Tesla did not want to participate any further and pulled out, or that the private entity that runs Scrap-it decided there were too many Teslas sold to make it practical to include them. And/or they bowed to pressure from dealership consortiums like the New Car Dealership Association of BC.

Not the end of the world or a dealbreaker--or enough to actually push me over to the Polestar 2 or Mach-E (both of which are somewhat appealing in their own rights but not quite what we are looking for).

You've got to look at the FAQ page to find your answer:

Can I buy a used electric vehicle from a participating New Car Dealer, and still be eligible for the EV program rebate?
Yes. Provided that you purchased the used EV from a participating dealer.

Do out of province/country vehicles qualify? Can I purchase an electric vehicle from Alberta, Washington or California?
No. The vehicle must be purchased from a participating dealership, in BC by a resident of BC. If a participating dealership has legally imported a vehicle from the US for sale in Canada then it will qualify.

In case you missed it (the underlined bit), you need to buy from a stealership. Tesla doesn't have those, therefore doesn't qualify. I know, pretty stupid. :(

so I read the faq page was wondering if anybody knows
If I purchase a used Tesla from a dealership would that work for the scrap it program?
Of course I would have a old car to scrap
Would I still get a separate government rebate as well?
Do we have a provincial rebate for used ev?
From my recollection buying a used ev gives you 3000$ in rebate as well?
Is there any other rebates?

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
so I read the faq page was wondering if anybody knows
If I purchase a used Tesla from a dealership would that work for the scrap it program?
Of course I would have a old car to scrap
Would I still get a separate government rebate as well?
Do we have a provincial rebate for used ev?
From my recollection buying a used ev gives you 3000$ in rebate as well?
Is there any other rebates?

there is a 5k federal rebate as well. Only brand new cars will work. Not a demo not used. Never registered evs only

There is something odd about the not-for-profit scrap-it society in BC. It administers bc rebates to get polluting cars off the roads but it has some opaque relationship with the New Car Dealers Association. https://www.newcardealers.ca/new-industry-partner-scrap-it/

B
ut Tesla is a member of the New Car Dealers Association.
So how does a dealer become a “qualified dealer” and participate in the program? It’s possible the requirements on dealers are onerous or just set up that a pure EV manufacturer like Tesla with a direct sales model is somehow excluded.

While test-driving a Polestar 2 recently (in North Vancouver location), the salesperson let us know that the Polestar 2 qualifies for the BC Scrap-It program, where you can get $6000 when replacing a qualifying ICE vehicle with a qualifying EV vehicle. Hey, cool, since my trade wouldn't be worth that much anyway. I don't recall if he specifically mentioned that Tesla was excluded, but he definitely framed it as a nice bonus available to Polestar 2 buyers.

Later I decided to double-check the Scrap-it website, and while my current car would qualify to replace, Neither Model Y nor Model 3 (most variations of both are under the $77k limit for the program) are listed as qualifying! Qualifying EVs – SCRAP-IT.

Does anyone know why this is? It makes little sense to me given that Teslas definitely meet their definition of an EV, and similarly pricey vehicles such as the Polestar 2, Mach E, and Volvo XC40 BEV (all with notes about the 77k MSRP limit) qualify. Would love to know what's up.
If you search the list of participating dealers Tesla is no where to be found.

I expect that to be a participating dealer there is probably a fee probably they pay a portion of the rebate.

Tesla probably doesn't want to pony up.