Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are the Markham & Etobicoke Superchargers taking so long?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is starting to get ridiculous. Markham has been under construction for 98 days and Etobicoke for 76. What's going on??? Both sites seem to be complete. Markham has looked complete for a long time now with Etobicoke now looking complete for the past 2 weeks.

Could be that Tesla feels other sites are a priority.

Which sites are you referring too? The only other sites close to the GTA that are under construction are Hamilton and Cambridge and I don't see how they would take priority over sites in the GTA . There is a higher concentration of Tesla vehicles here not to mention many more people that visit or travel through the area.

Which sites are you referring too? The only other sites close to the GTA that are under construction are Hamilton and Cambridge and I don't see how they would take priority over sites in the GTA . There is a higher concentration of Tesla vehicles here not to mention many more people that visit or travel through the area.
I wasn't referring to any particular sites but now that you mentioned it, I think the rural or highway spots should take priority at least until the Model 3 comes out, which is at least a year away here. Cambridge and Hamilton should take priority, at least for now until the Model 3 invasion, over sites in the GTA that are relatively close to each other.
Personally, I don't buy the notion that downtown sites are viable. Visitors coming into cities can easily charge up at a SC on the outskirts before coming into the downtown core. Tesla owners seem to despise paying for parking while charging, at least that's my view.

Reactions: mknox
I wasn't referring to any particular sites but now that you mentioned it, I think the rural or highway spots should take priority at least until the Model 3 comes out, which is at least a year away here. Cambridge and Hamilton should take priority, at least for now until the Model 3 invasion, over sites in the GTA that are relatively close to each other.
Personally, I don't buy the notion that downtown sites are viable. Visitors coming into cities can easily charge up at a SC on the outskirts before coming into the downtown core. Tesla owners seem to despise paying for parking while charging, at least that's my view.

The Cambridge Supercharger is roughly 50 kms from the Woodstock Supercharger and Hamilton even less than that to the Grimsby Supercharger. The Sherway Supercharger would serve far better than either of those locations.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: mazeminder
The Cambridge Supercharger is roughly 50 kms from the Woodstock Supercharger and Hamilton even less than that to the Grimsby Supercharger. The Sherway Supercharger would serve far better than either of those locations.
[/QUOTE]
Not necessarily. Depends where you are coming in from. Also, Sherway has a better chance of being totally ICED than the others.

You could do what we did in Kingston, Ontario a few years back. The site was taking months to get online and all us Montreal - Toronto travelling Tesla heads were aching for it to open. Finally a bunch of us went to canadian tire, gathered up a bunch of extension cords and made our own step-up transformer with some leftover copper wire, gum, a hairbrush and a cake dish and BINGO, supercharger worked great.

(This is not recommended)

You could do what we did in Kingston, Ontario a few years back. The site was taking months to get online and all us Montreal - Toronto travelling Tesla heads were aching for it to open. Finally a bunch of us went to canadian tire, gathered up a bunch of extension cords and made our own step-up transformer with some leftover copper wire, gum, a hairbrush and a cake dish and BINGO, supercharger worked great.

(This is not recommended)
....and you hooked it up using a metric monkey wrench?.......

The situation is the same in Vancouver, WA

The only difference that I'm aware of is that at least one car was able to successfully charge in Vancouver, but then it was shut down with hours of that.

So at that site something is going on that we don't know about. Like maybe it failed some electrical check, or something isn't up to par with the grid around it.

ryanpalmer I think hit the nail on the head. While Tesla's contractors have a lot to do, they're limited by a number of beaurocratic steps (inspections, utility work, more inspections).

the good news is Tesla hasn't really told us that these locations are under construction so technically we have nothing to complain about.

In the meantime you could rig up something like this enterprising Chinese driver did

tesla-pole-charger-1.jpg

Except that the target date for these, and a dozen or so others that aren't under construction, was end of 2017.

Ever heard of a moving target? :)

Really, the best projection was end of 2017, so if it's done anytime soon (as it should be) then I'm fine with it - it's not that far off the mark, especially if it's because of inspection delays (which in Etobicoke tend to be llllooooooooooonnnngggg from personal experience).

Incidentally, how long did it take for the 2nd charger in Barrie and the one at Vaughnan Mills take from start to finish?

The frustrating thing is that SFA was done, at least in Ontario, until October. Considering that most of this construction is outdoors that is quite backwards from what makes sense. Tesla should have started working in early April and then they would have had a much easier time - hopefully that is what they do this year in 2018, especially for some of the remote sites in Northern Ontario.

How long did Barrie take - we don't know because no one found it until it was almost done. But even at that the site was first reported on about Oct 22 and went live around Dec 9. So that is six weeks.

Vaughan Mills was also roughly six weeks so that is one of the fastest.

The reason that I am annoyed is that Tesla and Elon are selling the sizzle WAY more than the steak these days.

I am falling into the Woz camp: Steve Wozniak says he doesn’t trust Elon Musk or Tesla anymore

I'd second Wayner on the point that Steve Wozniak holds. I have never ever believed full automation could be achieved by the set of hardware installed on Tesla cars. Tesla started as an EV producer, rattling the whole passenger car industry. What is its strongest link? Long range EVs and its super fast charging network. Full automated driving is not. I'd rather Tesla put more emphasis on battery technologies and makes Model S with longer range. It is still inconvenient and time wasting by hopping into an S100D and taking a 2000KM road trip.