Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are the service centers so busy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently test drove a Model Y, when i was there I noticed the service center was very busy. I also see a lot of posts about service centers being backed up. I don't see much recommended yearly maintenance for the Model Y listed, I assume other Tesla models are the same. This being the case, why are the service centers so backed up? I know about delivery problems needing to be fixed and have seen some posts about rear motor failure. What else is going on with these vehicles that are causing the service bays to fill up?

Reactions: jiehan
Only 2 Tesla Service centers here in Oregon. Last time I was in the original one in Portland,the parking area was overflowing. Maybe with the addition of the one in Bend things are better. Not going to get into all of the problems there could possibly be that make the service centers jammed up.

Last edited:
Most cities only have one or two service centers to accommodate all Tesla owners in an area or region. As more folks buy Teslas the problem grows. With regular gas cars you can take it to a dealership or any number of independent mechanics. With a Tesla you’re limited to the few service centers.

OP is correct, with less maintenance required you’ll hopefully be able to avoid a service center visit, or hopefully they can send a mobile ranger to your home for easy stuff. It sucks though if you’ve been in an accident and/or need parts that can only be done at the SC.

My new MYP will be in the shop for 7 days due a crimped ground strap, the part was supposed to have been shipped last week but it wasn’t. So our Service Center is estimating it will arrive tomorrow. I did get a loaner so that softens the pain, but Tesla has had the car longer than I have so far.

Elon has claimed improving service is a priority but when and how remains to be seen. We take 3 to 4 road trips from southern IL (near St Louis) to southern Maryland via I 64 and along that 1000 miles there are only 2 Service Centers, Louisville and Richmond. Needing service along that major east-west highway is scary.

Would you rather have service centers seem not fully utilized or busy? that would be my concern.

The mobile service has worked great for me;. Don't see any others doing this, at this scale.

If this was a serious question, I believe pressures still remain from supply chain related circumstances, vehicle demand and limited centers.

I wouldn't worry with a new purchase. Ofcourse stuff can happen but its rarer than it seems...

Busy is good. That means they’re sized correctly.
If they’re backed up, the are undersized.
Like you say, not much regular service, just repairs.
Best is of course a car that needs no repairs. Impossible to know if they currently have too many or to few compared to plan and expectation without seeing the actual statistics inside Tesla.

Anecdotal compliments and complaints in forums and mass media amounts to almost nothing statistically.

Last edited:
Reactions: warmwaffles
All good reasons posted prior. I would add that they might be busy with a lot of people filing service requests for unnecessary reasons like "why is my battery showing 2 miles less at 100% than last week", "my phone key isn't always working", "why does my car charge slow", "I tried to plug to a fast charger and it didn't work" (using the j1772 adapter at a CCS site) or plenty of other such concerns. It is my opinion that some of these could be alleviated by displaying more information on the screen, and some training / teaching when people buy cars.

The number of such questions I see every day on local facebook groups is astonishing. Some get answers on Facebook but that probably means there are hundreds more that are not on Facebook and that are "harassing" the service center.

All good reasons posted prior. I would add that they might be busy with a lot of people filing service requests for unnecessary reasons like "why is my battery showing 2 miles less at 100% than last week", "my phone key isn't always working", "why does my car charge slow", "I tried to plug to a fast charger and it didn't work" (using the j1772 adapter at a CCS site) or plenty of other such concerns. It is my opinion that some of these could be alleviated by displaying more information on the screen, and some training / teaching when people buy cars.

The number of such questions I see every day on local facebook groups is astonishing. Some get answers on Facebook but that probably means there are hundreds more that are not on Facebook and that are "harassing" the service center.
True, but do you think that these requests result in service center visits or do they get resolved in the service app?

Reactions: mswlogo
This is by no means an exhaustive list so it's tough to answer your question. I'm sure a few are simply rejected (e.g. battery over 70% capacity, we don't want to hear about it). Some are probably answered through messages in the app, but those messages probably take time out of a technician that could otherwise be fixing a "real" problem, and that technician probably had to read through some logs on the car first.

Would you rather have service centers seem not fully utilized or busy? that would be my concern.

The mobile service has worked great for me;. Don't see any others doing this, at this scale.

If this was a serious question, I believe pressures still remain from supply chain related circumstances, vehicle demand and limited centers.

I wouldn't worry with a new purchase. Ofcourse stuff can happen but its rarer than it seems...
There's a difference between not fully utilized/busy and having cars pouring out into the parking lot.

My local center has so many cars waiting for repair that it is near impossible to park if you want to visit the showroom. They have cars in for service parking in spots that aren't even designated parking spots.

I recently test drove a Model Y, when i was there I noticed the service center was very busy. I also see a lot of posts about service centers being backed up. I don't see much recommended yearly maintenance for the Model Y listed, I assume other Tesla models are the same. This being the case, why are the service centers so backed up? I know about delivery problems needing to be fixed and have seen some posts about rear motor failure. What else is going on with these vehicles that are causing the service bays to fill up?
Cars show up broken and the wait for parts is insanely long. Tesla will need to invest in off site storage of cars soon

There's a difference between not fully utilized/busy and having cars pouring out into the parking lot.

My local center has so many cars waiting for repair that it is near impossible to park if you want to visit the showroom. They have cars in for service parking in spots that aren't even designated parking spots.
I can't comment on individual parking logistics but I'm not surprised since they also deliver new cars and demand is still insane. Service bays are obviously limited. I don't think Tesla maintenance schedules have any bearing on demand. Just another service request type. Mobile service helps and is much more convenient (Homelink installs for example).

I can't comment on individual parking logistics but I'm not surprised since they also deliver new cars and demand is still insane. Service bays are obviously limited. I don't think Tesla maintenance schedules have any bearing on demand. Just another service request type. Mobile service helps and is much more convenient (Homelink installs for example).
I wish mobile service was available in my area(I live in DC). The closest appointments I could make are a month in advance.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Yes, it was a serious question. :)
I'm hoping the reason that the service centers are busy is that there aren't enough of them rather than that the cars are not reliable.
I've driven unreliable cars that had to go in the shop every couple months as well as Honda/Toyotas that go in the shop once a year for oil. So I'm a bit nervous to go into a new to me brand. I'm hoping Tesla is closer to Honda/Toyota than it is to the GMs I drove in the 80s/90s.