Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are the wheels spinning on the screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed something weird with the car visualization on the screen this morning. The car was in park and screen was showing the car in the new 3/4 front view but the wheels were spinning! Like rolling as if it were driving down the street. Weird.

The car has 2020.48.30 and I've never seen this before. Is this a bug or is it trying to tell me something? I did have a warning about loss of visualizations so I'm wondering if they are related.

Anyone else seen this?

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and KenC
No but this latest update is for s**t. With all the negative feedback on the web I sincerely hope Tesla updates it soon. (change it back!)

I like the update. There is always (except bug fix updates), something fun or useful in most updates. Tesla’s software updates are one of the huge value adds, and differentiators to this car over all other cars I’ve ever owned. My previous cars lost their fun appeal in months. My Tesla’s fun factor has increased since it’s purchase. :)
I hope all the negative feedback you’re referring to, does’t stop Tesla from sending updates. That would be tragic.

I had this happen to me the other morning when it was about 25 degrees. I left my driveway in reverse, did a three point like turn. The visual showed my wheels turned, then when I went into Drive, they started spinning, but still showed turned even though I was going straight. Stopped at a stop sign and they were still spinning, turned.
There was a message on the screen about driving visuals temporarily degraded. After I reached my destination and parked the car, all was better. Seems like a bug. I'll live with it until the next update.

Autopilot aneurysm ("Driving visualization temporarily degraded - Feature may be restored on next drive")
occurred today with 2020.48.35.5.

Not only did the on-screen wheels keep spinning when in Park, there were lane markings moving either side of the "parked" vehicle.
An outstandingly surreal virtual melt down.
Quickly cleared with a Vulcan nerve pinch (two thumbs plus foot brake hard reset).

Admittedly we had been teasing Stromi with some extreme edge cases:
driving single lane sealed country roads with no line markings at all (steer onto dirt shoulder for on coming traffic),
where the bends widen to two lanes and a centre line is marked.
Auto pilot won't enable on the straight and narrow, because no lane markers, but AP will engage on the bends with the single centre line.
The "fun" starts when the road straightens and narrows again and the centre line is gone.
AP steering went violently left right left right desperately responding to phantom lane markings on a very narrow road, with the on screen lines looking like a Jackson Pollock night mare.
15 minutes later, Stromi had her tantrum!

Last edited:
I'm starting to like the new screen. Since I can actually only read about 1/3 of the needed info I find myself paying more attention to the road while hoping nothing is wrong.
Considered carrying a large magnifying glass but I don't wanna die with that thing in my hand cuz it takes me longer to find info on the screen.

I noticed something weird with the car visualization on the screen this morning. The car was in park and screen was showing the car in the new 3/4 front view but the wheels were spinning! Like rolling as if it were driving down the street. Weird.

The car has 2020.48.30 and I've never seen this before. Is this a bug or is it trying to tell me something? I did have a warning about loss of visualizations so I'm wondering if they are related.

Anyone else seen this?
Just happened to my car too! I’m in park, door open, spinning away. It is a hoooot day and car was out in heat for a few hrs. I’ve had issues due to a too hot monitor /so I will blame that for now

Anyone else seen this?
Happening to my screen as we speak-‘18model 3. I’m blaming it on it sitting in hot sun for a few hrs and monitor got too hot. I’ve had issues with monitor errors when it gets this hot. Unless you figure out something different…..