TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why are there heated seat icons on a hot day?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by onlinespending, Apr 28, 2018.

1. onlinespending

Seems absurd that the quick access icons on the main display, which there are only so many of, are wasted by heated seat icons on a hot day or by the passenger temperature adjustment when no one is sitting in the passenger seat.

Those quick access icons could be intelligently, contextually aware. If the outside temperature is above some threshold (e.g. 72F) then move the heated seat icons to the HVAC control menu and instead replace their quick access icons with fan speed, a/c on/off, etc. Or maybe even other useful actions you want quick access to that have nothing to do with hvac. Same goes for an unoccupied passenger seat. Don’t show the heated seat icon and temp adjustment for the passenger side if unoccupied, regardless of outside temp.

• Disagree x 3
  2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

My wife often uses seat warmers to relieve back pain.
    I thought my phone was about to explode, but then realized she left the heater on yesterday.

• Like x 3
  3. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

In a car, I do not want the location of controls changing either "intelligently" or "contextually". Muscle memory tells me exactly where a control should be. If I reach for that location and the control is gone or now does something else because the temperature hit some threshold, then I have to focus attention away from the road and onto the screen to figure out the current UI context.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 1
  4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Controls should remain fixed, not change "contextually". This is a safety issue.

• Like x 5
  5. pkodali

pkodali Member

Also, good use for seat heaters is to keep food warm

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. onlinespending

Fair enough. But there’s zero reason to keep the passenger controls as quick access icons when no passenger is present. That doesn’t interfere with the driver’s “muscle memory” or pose a “safety risk”. I hate having to dive down into the hvac settings to adjust fan speed when 95% of driving is done solo and could have just as easily adjusted the fan speed through a quick access icon.

• Disagree x 1
  7. pkodali

pkodali Member

If fan speed is such a commonly adjusted item, you should bind that to the right scrollwheel.

• Like x 2
  8. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

Interesting question, but it seems like it should be years away on the priority list

9. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I think it all should be voice controlled.

• Like x 1
  10. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Learn to use the right thumb wheel

• Like x 2
  11. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

I don't want the icons changing "contextually" because you would never know when that would engage.

However, there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to pick what I want as a quick access icons. In Florida, heated seats isn't one of them.

12. Barry

Barry Active Member

I don't like Tesla's "intelligent" changes. The map resizing is bad enough!

• Like x 1
  13. Nitemare3219

Nitemare3219 Member

Sounds like something that should be software fixed. I've had this happen too. Wife leaves the seat heater on when we exit the car, just for me to have to turn it off the next time I drive without her. The car should be smart enough to not "remember" the passenger seat heat setting if the seat is empty when the car is put into gear (remote climate control, maybe remember the setting... or give us the option to manually select).

A safety issue? Please LOL. We're talking about seat heating and miscellaneous controls. These are touch screen controls with no feedback as well, meaning zero assurance you are ever pressing the right button without looking. I imagine you also never use the keyboard or vehicle settings menu while driving because it is a safety issue as well? I do, and I don't see it as a safety issue. Clearly Tesla doesn't either, or they'd lock it out like just about every other manufacturer.

14. onlinespending

Yeah. This is a solution that makes everyone happy. They certainly could allow the user to change which icons they want there.

• Like x 1
  15. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

That it...I'm cancelling my order!

• Funny x 1
  16. Mediocrates

Mediocrates Member

Whenever a vehicle is moving and the driver is not looking at the road, it is a safety issue.

• Like x 1
  17. Corsair

Corsair Member

My car would smell like a Tandoori oven !

18. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Why isn't there a heating steering wheel control or rear seat heater controls on a cold day?

19. Barry

Barry Active Member

There are with the cold weather package.

20. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

No, they are buried in the menus. To the OP's point, they are not visible on the quick access controls at the bottom.