Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are there no aftermarket tail lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: chrisdh79
I like my tail lights. They shine red when I slow down and stop, then go dark when I drive. What more does a person need?? I suspect one could find LOTS OF THINGS about almost any car make, that bug different people. The Tesla is hardly on that list. Fast, sleek, gorgeous: Best Car EVER. And with the Model 3, almost affordable. Some are actually available used now, making them very affordable.

• Funny
Reactions: Issaction
I’ve always wondered, why are there no aftermarket solutions for the S? I’m sure there are tons of people that want a more updated, sleek looking tail light. With diffused light. Has anyone tried to modify the light to get rid of the matrix style effect? Something like this: WRX Tail light make over. - HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum
Not a change of lights per say, but this does make them look A LOT better:

• Love
Reactions: anthonyj
Have u seen them taken off??? The entire REAR comes off in ONE piece. I had water in one, SC guy said don't try it, they are all one piece. He said drill tiny hole in corner to drain water.
I got LED to put in the reflector spots,. Again, have to remove belly pan and entire rear end to replace them and run wires up into trunk. NOT.

By “entire REAR comes off in ONE piece” I assume you mean the rear bumper? Every car is like that now.

“They are all one piece” I assume you mean each light unit? One for each corner, one for each side of the tailgate? Why would they be more than one piece each?

It’s not maintenance friendly anytime a bumper has to come off just to replace a lighting unit, but not uncommon.

How do you like the led reflectors? I’m vaguely entertaining the idea of getting them as well. Not sure how else you would route the wiring without taking the bumper (and attached belly pan) off, which is really not a big deal.

Just bought a set of S and Model 3 taillights. I have no idea what I’m doing but I’m determined to give the S that same clean look. Bought M3 tails to see distance between LEDS and light diffuser, amount of LEDS, etc

Please god someone make a solution before I do lol

Reviving this thread as it seems that my OEM tail lights may be facing some problems.

Does anyone have pictures of an aftermarket set of tail lights?
What issues did you have with your tail lights? I've got an issue where the running lights will all of a sudden decide to not eliminate. But the break lights still work. Both the inner tailgate light and outer tail light. And then randomly it will work again. Tesla service center is saying I'll need to replace the light assemblies. Almost $900.... And basically impossible to find even the OEM taillights anywhere for a self repair.