TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why are there only 6 airbags in europe, used to be 8

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NielsChr, Nov 25, 2014.

1. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

#1 NielsChr, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Any reason why tesla have removed 2 airbags from EU cars ?

On my old Model S P85 (2013) was the following text to find in specs (in danish, but I guess you get the point)

on the 2015 model S specs is:
    that seem like a step back to me.

the airbag wich have been removed are the knee airbag, and this seems still on US specs.
    now Im about to order my 2' Model S as my P85 are sold and a P85D are on order.

I DO NOT WISH to buy a super fast less safe tesla - Tesla should include all posible safety features on a 0-60 3.2 sec car.

2. Aargau

Aargau Member

You're making the common mistake of treating each component as purely additive for safety. What really matters is how they work together, not if there are more or less. 100 airbags would be no safer, probably less safe, than 6 air bags.

3. eco5280

eco5280 Member

#3 eco5280, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    For added safety you may wear an airbag vest (go to 48 seconds in):

4. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

#4 NielsChr, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    if Tesla's (or anybody else) answer is, that a large safe car like Model S does not need knee airbags - why are they still including 8 airbags in US cars ?

here in EU, even inexpensive mini cars have knee airbags

just checked and even a small car like KIA picanto have knee airbags - I wounder if Tesla think EU customers are stupid

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure that's it, you know those arrogant Americans and their attitude towards Europeans.

Seriously...I am sure there is a logical explanation and the change was made for a good reason. I recommend that you contact Tesla and ask them about it instead of posting comments making absurd accusations.

6. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

only thinking so, since they still include it in US cars - if they had removed it from both EU and US cars I would have made the assumption that is was not needed.
    As it is now Tesla look like they have removed it since they don't get extra point for the euroncap test....and yesI have wrote a email to tesla and are awaiting the responce.
    I really dossen't care about how meny point they get in a euroncap test - however I care about how I will look if I ever are involved in a accident.

especially if Im about to buy a "insane" car. - my P85 are already sold.

7. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I guarantee, if it is true, that it would be completely due to European regulations that Tesla is forced to adhere to.

For instance, European regulations might insist that two airbags in the current design be combined into one airbag to minimize the possibility of failure. So you might easily have just as much airbag space being deployed but removing one of the smaller deployment canisters.

Just a thought, but it would make sense.

8. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

other cars over here have 7-8 airbags - even cheap cars.
    6 seem like a low number

but I hope you are right

9. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I think this is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen people ask about extra safety on the P85D. It's going 0-60 faster than the P85. You're not suddenly going 400 kilometers an hour instead of 100. Brakes, airbags, etc sufficient for safety in the P85 would be the same in the P85D.

I'm curious why there are only 6 airbags in the EU model, but that's a question for Tesla. Asking here isn't likely to find an answer. Ranting about Tesla thinking EU customers are stupid makes you look...well...you're fulfilling your own rant.

10. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

Your right. Sorry. Just very disapointed.

Was looking forward to have a new tesla, even better than that before. Only to discover that my new order have less airbags. I could live with that. But the fact that US cars still have 8 tells me they are stil needed/better.
    I belive tesla should not save those few bugs, and include it to any car. After all they are trhing to avoid variant and stremline production.

11. arg

arg Member

I think it highly unlikely that the difference is to save money. For example, who said those 6 airbags are 6 of the same ones fitted in the US cars? Maybe it's 6 big ones instead of 8 small ones?

There have long been differences between US and EU car models for various regulatory and cultural reasons. It used to be the case (not sure if it still is) that US airbags had to be designed on the basis that the driver might not be wearing a seatbelt, while here we've long had mandatory seatbelt use (and a culture of obeying those laws) so by the time airbags became common they could be designed assuming the driver is wearing a belt. This led to bigger airbags in US cars - but not necessarily better, as they required more powerful inflation and so tended to have a higher rate of injuries caused by the airbag itself.

12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#12 yobigd20, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I wonder how much this guy got PAID to be the scapegoat in crashing motorcycles to test that vest. I hope it was like $200k lol

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Nobody here seems to know, so I guess you need to contact Tesla to ask.

14. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

My guess is that the airbags aren't needed, but they would have had to redo the US crash testing if they removed them now.

The EU model just went through NCAP testing without the last two airbags, and got five stars and the best possible result for the knees of both passenger and driver. Tesla Model S | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

15. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Another possible explanation for the 6 and 7 values in the safety systems field of the VIN showing up on European orders. Probably a more likely explanation at that.

16. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

I tryed to change the subject of this thread, as I might have been a litle quick to make assumtions.
    it seems to stay at original subject.

17. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

What would you like it changed to? Happy to update it for you.

18. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

That seems like the most probable explanation so far. So the soonest we'll see the airbags removed in the US is probably with the model year change next year. They are not going to want to redo crash tests for the same model year.

19. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

razor.png

We all know that more = better.

20. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Those types of vests have been worn by jockeys and eventing riders for a number of years already.