Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are there so many new Plaid inventory cars showing up lately?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like there are 20 or so available in Florida. That seems like a lot, and they’re 2021s on 19 inch wheels.
Not surprised by the number of 2021's...I think a number of people passed on an incoming 2021 in order to get a 2022 so close to the end of the year (for future resale value). I held off placing my order until late November so I would hopefully get a 2022. Pick mine up on Sunday and it's a 2022 VIN.

Not surprised by the number of 2021's...I think a number of people passed on an incoming 2021 in order to get a 2022 so close to the end of the year (for future resale value). I held off placing my order until late November so I would hopefully get a 2022. Pick mine up on Sunday and it's a 2022 VIN.
Heyyy. I placed my order yesterday! Anxiously waiting! PM when you ordered, got VIN etc?? So I can maybe guess when I can get mine lol. I put in an order for a model S plaid with 19 wheels

Fly there and drive it back, great first road trip! If you don't have time I'll go for you
I would actually love to do that. I am just not sure the logistics of buying a car in IL that is to be registered in CA. Another one popped up in Vegas, which is even easier. But now I am torn with the prospect of updated tail lights coming. I don't mind the current tail lights, but my MS headlights are unimpressive to say the least and if they do an update it might include other stuff as well. Obviously I can play this game forever and never get a car, but with pictures of them driving on the road with updated lights I am thinking the release is relatively close (< 6 months)

Not surprised by the number of 2021's...I think a number of people passed on an incoming 2021 in order to get a 2022 so close to the end of the year (for future resale value). I held off placing my order until late November so I would hopefully get a 2022. Pick mine up on Sunday and it's a 2022 VIN
Inventory cars are a good way for Tesla to unload say, for example, the earlier '21 cars that sat in the purgatory lot for however many months. Presumably they've fixed whatever supply chain issue existed, and now they can put them up for immediate delivery if people want to jump the line, with people fully understanding what they're receiving and any trade-off associated with it.

I wonder -- Has anyone had success with asking Tesla to delete FSD to cut the price on an inventory car?

Also, do I gather that they have the gall to charge a shipping fee on top of the mandatory delivery fee already included in the price, when shipping an inventory car from another location?? Seems like double dipping. (And yes, I get that it's been shipped once, but that is hardly the buyer's fault.)

It looks as if Tesla is charging (or at least asking) the same price for similarly-equipped 2021 and 2022 cars. No discount on the "older" cars....

Reactions: jebinc
I am so torn. There are 2 inventory cars reasonably close (but not in CA) that match the config I want. I am also driving a lot right now and could really use the range increase. But the idea of an incremental update coming in the next qtr or so makes me hesitant. I personally don't care much about tail lights, but would really like improved headlights. And maybe more will be included.

This is where I wish Tesla did more traditional model years. Would be easier to make an informed decision. But I understand the advantage of incremental updates.

I am so torn. There are 2 inventory cars reasonably close (but not in CA) that match the config I want. I am also driving a lot right now and could really use the range increase. But the idea of an incremental update coming in the next qtr or so makes me hesitant. I personally don't care much about tail lights, but would really like improved headlights. And maybe more will be included.

This is where I wish Tesla did more traditional model years. Would be easier to make an informed decision. But I understand the advantage of incremental updates.
I personally think it’s fantasy to expect that even a minor update is coming to the S in the “next quarter or so”.

I think you guys are right. If one in the right config shows up in socal I will pull the trigger. I might just buy one of the ones available now and pay the 500 transport fee or, if the registration can be handled, fly there and drive it back.

Hey! Find the inventory car you want online, and then GO to your nearest service center! Place the order with them. I tried to do it online and the website paired me with a sales agent who was NO help. When I went into the service center, I talked to them about the Plaid config I want (2022), which was sitting in DC, and I'm 500+ miles away from there. The online sales rep said they could not get me that car because it's out of my "region". However, the SA at the local service center was able to walk me through the order placement, I disagreed with the initial offer on the loan and he got me better loan terms by calling a few people (took about 30 mins), and then he was able to manually match me with that Plaid sitting in DC and he was able to wave the transport fee of $1000 to bring it from DC to me. The Plaid in DC is no longer avail on the tesla website since it has been matched to me. My account has it VIN listed and transit here has begun.

Res: RN1162x
For: Model S Plaid 2022

Order placed with SA on: 12/17/2021
Delivery Appt: 12/29/2021