Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are these used Teslas as much as new ones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A seller can ask whatever they want but asking price and selling price aren't necessarily going to end up being the same thing. Sometimes people start high but soon realize they are overpriced and will reduce their asking price. I've seen asking prices on here drop many thousands of dollars within just a few days. Also, make sure when you are comparing against new that you include all of the factory extra cost options a particular car may have, the destination charge, etc. Destination charge, multi-coat paint, 19" wheels, and black/white interior will add over 15% to the base price of an M3 SR+, for example. Speaking of options, another thing that happens is that some sellers overvalue the aftermarket items they have on the car.

There are plenty of used Teslas selling for a lot less than new. Which years and models are you considering?

Not sure what you consider enough of a discount but below is a 2020 M3 Performance AWD just east of you in New Jersey with 19k miles, clean history, 1 year additional warranty, etc. and is priced about $12k less than retail of a custom order new one.

Not sure what you consider enough of a discount but below is a 2020 M3 Performance AWD just east of you in New Jersey with 19k miles, clean history, 1 year additional warranty, etc. and is priced about $12k less than retail of a custom order new one.
That’s a Stealth Performance so the difference is more accurately $5k less than retail. Current Performance models come standard with what was called a Performance Upgrade Package and it was a $7k option. Stealth Performance models were $50k new.

To the OP's point I figured 2018 model 3's would be cheaper by now, but they are holding value really well. Most cars will be half the price when they are three years old, a 2018 model 3 was about $50K so that would imply I could buy a used 2018 for 25K reasonably easily, but I haven't seen that to be the case. Good news for those that bought the 2018 new! Not so good news for those of us hoping to scoop up a quality model 3. This may change next years once the model 3's that were leased start hitting the market, but for now, I agree, they seem to be expensive in general.

Reactions: T-Will
To the OP's point I figured 2018 model 3's would be cheaper by now, but they are holding value really well. Most cars will be half the price when they are three years old, a 2018 model 3 was about $50K so that would imply I could buy a used 2018 for 25K reasonably easily, but I haven't seen that to be the case. Good news for those that bought the 2018 new! Not so good news for those of us hoping to scoop up a quality model 3. This may change next years once the model 3's that were leased start hitting the market, but for now, I agree, they seem to be expensive in general.
Leased model 3 and model y cannot be purchased after and are for the Tesla robotaxi fleet.
One of the reasons used model 3's retain their value so well.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Leased model 3 and model y cannot be purchased after and are for the Tesla robotaxi fleet.

While the lessee can't direclty buy an M3 or MY at lease end, a third party dealer can. If they find a dealer willing to act as sort of an intermediary, the lessee can buy the car through them. Whether or not it's worth it will depend on the buyout price and what, if any, charges/fees the dealer seeks.

We know that is what Elon said some time ago, but Tesla doesn't yet have a robotaxi business. While it's possible they will have one, they also may not, and have to sell those cars on. Only time will tell, but my opinion is that they will be selling those cars at least for a year or two. If pricing stays the way it is now this will be a nice windfall for Tesla, selling used cars with a substantial profit post lease.

My friend, people spend $2k-$4k on xpel and ceramic coating and they imagine the next buyer is willing to pay that amount too, to me those are $300 add-ons at best, others spend $900 on tinting while my local dude do it for $90-$140, they reflect all this bs on their asking price plus they are under the impression that just because there is 4 weeks or 6 weeks waiting time you are gonna be a fool and buy 2 year old model for the price of brand new.
I personally found Vroom is the most reasonable place to buy Tesla, they drop prices, you just have to be fast and patient, they had a white 2018 M3 Performance two weeks ago for $41K!! yes, only 37K miles, I tried to buy it literally 20 minutes after I got the notification but it was already sold.