Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are they allowed to publish lies?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because there is no one holding them liable.
Their general readership is not clever enough and not engaged enough to fight them.
Most will quietly swallow the BS and come back for more.
Some a few will be disgusted and skip to the next article.
One or two will not return. Hope, that is you.

The problem with media is stupid audience. As long there is stupid audience that swallows it, they will produce.
Media never was about informing. How can a journalist that does not have a clue inform you on anything?

I think it’s gutless of News.com.au to only selectively allow comments....I hate to say these catch words (due to the persons mouth it came out of) but fake news is indeed out of control....we all want freedom of speech however these outright lies are eroding our democracies, ultimately setting them up for failure....

Dreadful article, clearly a commissioned piece.
Sure he dropped the ball a bit by using the term "pedo", but that doesn't detract from two decades of brilliance.
And if you consider the other car companies, utterly boring, zero innovation, how can the article say he's accomplished nothing.

Unfortunately Elon’s recent tweetapocalypse has emboldened Tesla Shorts and sundry haters to pile on and attempt to depress the share price of Tesla or worse, this is just another example.
On the other end they attack any favourable Tesla stories including one by Dan Neil of the WSJ praising the new Performance Model 3. First Test Drive of the Tesla Model 3 Performance: A Thrilling, Modern Marvel
The reaction to Dan’s story on Twitter was so strongly negative he has deleted his Twitter account.
Short Sellers drove WSJ Reviewer Dan Neil to deletion of his Twitter
We are at another inflection Point for Tesla and EVs, I’m holding my breath and hoping the flood of Model 3 deliveries over the next little while will overcome the current negative sentiment.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Why is news.com.au now jumping on train like so many stupid news channels around the world?

‘Elon Musk is a total fraud’

Close to 90% of what is written above is complete BS, on top of this facts on the above leave out how they have been twisted....

Then of course no blog to address the out right lies....

Because if you looked at the original publication it is an OPINION piece and people are allowed to have them.

Reactions: jsmay311
What I find interesting is on the nypost it's clearly marked as an opinion piece.

But, now it's somehow a story on news.com.au

I'm getting a little tired of opinion pieces being so much of what people share/discuss/etc. There is absolutely nothing in this opinion piece worth talking about because the person has no clue what they're talking about. In particular they've ignored everything SpaceX has done for the last year.

Opinions when complete BS and outright lies should have people held accountable for defamation etc. Opinion is one thing, telling porky's on purpose is another.....

And I agree Elon got to the bottom on the trash can with his "pedo" line, but lets not forget the abuse and waving a red flag that came before Elon's "pedo" statement; quote: He can "stick his submarine where it hurts", whilst not as bad a calling someone a pedo doesn't leave Unsworth blameless either....

Last edited:
Opinions when complete BS and outright lies should have people held accountable for defamation etc. Opinion is one thing, telling porky's on purpose is another.....

And I agree Elon got to the bottom on the trash can with his "pedo" line, but lets not forget the abuse and waving a red flag that came before Elon's "pedo" statement; quote: He can "stick his submarine where it hurts", whilst not as bad a calling someone a pedo doesn't leave Unsworth blameless either....

Here’s the difference: the article, very clearly at the top, says “OPINION”. Because of that the author is allowed to say whatever they like. You can agree with it or not.

Elon was pawning his tweet off as fact and even went so far as to suggest he had proof. That is defamation/libel.

Understand how that works?

This is the problem with opinion pieces. There should be a requirement for truth and a basis in evidence for anything published. Calling something an opinion piece should not invalidate that unless everything written is purely a matter of opinion rather than verifiable fact. Misrepresenting facts under the protection of 'opinion' should be actionable.

This is the problem with opinion pieces. There should be a requirement for truth and a basis in evidence for anything published. Calling something an opinion piece should not invalidate that unless everything written is purely a matter of opinion rather than verifiable fact. Misrepresenting facts under the protection of 'opinion' should be actionable.

That is not how things work in the US. Free press, free exchange of ideas and all.

Oh I see, in the USA one can push complete BS....great to know...I highly doubt this is actually true and I am sure there is plenty of suing going on when BS is actually published....

Australian Freedom of Speech:
Australians are free, within the bounds of the law, to say or write what we think privately or publicly, about the government, or about any topic. We do not censor the media and may criticise the government without fear of arrest. Free speech comes from facts, not rumours, and the intention must be constructive, not to do harm. There are laws to protect a person's good name and integrity against false information. There are laws against saying or writing things to incite hatred against others because of their culture, ethnicity or background. Freedom of speech is not an excuse to harm others.

I think that's pretty darn good, so why is News.com.au getting away with republishing outright lies? @glide, this is an Australian website I am talking about therefore they are liable for what it publishes irrelevant that someone in the USA wrote it originally.

@glide, are you a Tesla owner?

The reason the media is "allowed" to lie is any authority allowed to judge and censor/punish what is truth or lie is an inherent danger to freedom.
It is the consumer who should hold them accountable but that doesn't not seem to be working.
One network has been a political propoganda machine for a few decades, viewership is falling but they still get advertisers.
Yes ALL the major media outlets have their tilt but the degree of tilt varies dramatically, which is something I think people have a hard time admitting.