Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are Warning types not listed on the owners guide?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i broke down last weekend 260 miles away from home with a warning that said, “car requires service. Car may not restart.” Roadside had it towed and we drove home in a rental. Turns out my battery coolant heater was going out and when I supercharged twice it sent it over the edge. I also had to have my 12v battery replaced. I would like to know what all of the different types of warnings are, severity, and what they mean.

Anyone know where you can find this?

I don't want to be argumentative but ... does anyone read manuals anymore?
Thirty five years ago, I would read the manual almost cover-to-cover when I got a new computer.
Now, I might use a user manual for looking up specific info, usually after the fact - but most of the time, googling works better.

Does any of your computers and/or applications have extensive user manuals that list all the error messages they may display?
It is too hard to keep the documentation current with SW changing (improving :rolleyes:) all the time.

I have received this dreaded "car needs service - may not restart" only a couple of times, but each time it turned out to be a false positive.

Thirty five years ago, I would read the manual almost cover-to-cover when I got a new computer.
Now, I might use a user manual for looking up specific info, usually after the fact - but most of the time, googling works better.
I did read the whole Tesla manual while waiting for car pick up. Maybe this is why I don't have issues with overestimating what an Autopilot is capable of :p

Agree though that Google is faster for most cases nowadays.

Does any of your computers and/or applications have extensive user manuals that list all the error messages they may display?
It is too hard to keep the documentation current with SW changing (improving :rolleyes:) all the time.

I have received this dreaded "car needs service - may not restart" only a couple of times, but each time it turned out to be a false positive.
You are lucky. I’m glad it has been nothing for you. Not in my case. And yes....with a vehicle as advanced as this one I feel everyone HAS to read the manual to fully understand it. A home computer is one thing but an automobile that could seriously injure or kill someone when they don’t understand that the Autopilot feature is not a true Autopilot is a completely different one.

Reactions: TexasEV