Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are you buying a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Toyota Prius & a Nissan Leaf, now Model 3.
It's a conscience thing. Plus Tesla is at the cutting edge of autonomous development, so I am looking forward to autopilot.

I was surprised by the acceleration & road holding in the Leaf, that now I consider ICE cars to be 'lumbering'. Even the Prius is clunky.
The downside to owning a Leaf is I am more sensitive to exhaust fumes & get overly annoyed at diesel vehicles & trucks.

Mild green leanings, tech enthusiast, and in general like new ideas and am biased against the established that has little real innovation. I've been wanting and dreaming of a Tesla for like ten years, ever since the roadster was announced. Now that I own a Model X, I'm loathe to get into my commuter ICE (X is the family vehicle that my wife drives during the week), and can't wait to get my Model 3. Such a clearly superior driving experience.

I would have been in a Leaf or any other BEV long ago if they just had the range I need. I have been waiting for about 20 years now for anyone to get to the marked with an affordable BEV with a range that could let me use it on my daily driving. From checking out what distances I drive, and how much the range is lowered by winter and bad weather and to still have a reasonable buffer I have found out that I needed about 200 miles EPA(5) range. The first hint I found for any such car to be in the pipeline was when I read this blog post about 10 years ago. And I have been waiting for this car ever since.

But yes, when the Bolt/Ampera-e gets into the dealers here, I will have a good look at that, and the same with any other car that gets into this marked and checks my claim for range and price (Leaf 60?). But I think Model 3 will be the car that best fit my needs at the time that will be delivered. And if it does have a more potent acceleration then the others that is off no disadvantage :)

Superior performance
something completely different which destroys the competition on all fronts price, style, performance and efficiency
the only manufacturer with superchargers and the foresight to build it out
price is right in line with entry audi/bmw
range +200
looks like a sport sedan

...cant wait to wake up and see the model 3 in my garage!!

Reactions: ApauloThirteen
Besides zero emissions and no gas, My 185 mile one way commute requires the range and supercharger network. Living in NE I want AWD. Plus our model S is the greatest car we've ever owned - I have no doubt the model 3 will not disappoint. ;)

Efficiency.

• Efficiency = higher performance.
  • Efficiency = cheaper.
  • Efficiency = greener.
  • Efficiency = safer.
  • Efficiency = quieter.

Plus my car will be about 11 years old. I was hoping to have it last at least 10 years.

Things that could delay my Model 3 purchase will be:
  • Decrease in CAD value in relation to the USD
  • Family financial circumstances
  • My current car continuing to run perfectly and not needing replacement (first world problem for sure).

Because Elon knows how to build a car without compromise.

As Steve Jobs once said....
'You know how you see a show car, and it's really cool, and then four years later you see the production car, and it sucks? And you go, What happened? They had it! They had it in the palm of their hands! They grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory! What happened was, the designers came up with this really great idea. Then they take it to the engineers, and the engineers go, 'Nah, we can't do that. That's impossible.' And so it gets a lot worse. Then they take it to the manufacturing people, and they go, 'We can't build that!' And it gets a lot worse.'

Everyone else simply doesn't get it. Defeat from the jaws of victory..

Reactions: JeffK
already own a model S, it was and still is, my dream car.
But my budget only allowed for a rwd 60 kwh with only supercharging. (late 2014 model)

Getting the model 3 will allow me to get a far higher spec and more options within my budget - around 55k.

as a norwegian I would really love awd, when I bought my S AWD wasent announced yet and now its way to expensive.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
Supercharger Network, fun-to-drive, autonomous driving (for the not-fun places to drive), utility (passenger, cargo space, tow package, and maybe roof rack), and Style.

Oh, and it also is zero emissions with the smoothest possible Powertrain, and I never need to go to a gas station.

How is it even possible to consider buying anything else? ICE cars seem so incredibly crude and dated; relics of the twentieth century.

GSP

So many things (in order of importance for me)
  1. Zero emission (especially where I live, electricity is over 99% renewable)
  2. Encourage a company for which I totally approve the vision / objective / results
  3. Long range (long enough even in the coldest nights of winter)
  4. Supercharger network to reach everywhere without increasing travel time
  5. Connected evolving car
  6. AWD (I talked about winter did I?)
  7. Auto-pilot
  8. Looks good

I couldn’t care less about performance, my 2008 Prius still fine for me. However, I totally understand why they did. This is the best way to get attention on them from the crowd and reach to a public that would otherwise just laugh at them. Result, a good brand name and close to 400,000 reservations so 400,000 less fuel cars on the road. And even more to come.

Last edited:
I'm filthy rich and wanted a play car for my 4 year old child
Radio-Flyer-Tesla-S-Model-for-kids-trio.jpg

Reactions: Lem89