Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WHY are you buying the Model S?

Why are you buying the Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The $4.75/gal gasoline price spike was a wake-up call for me, and I put hybrids and electrics on the table for my next car after my 11-year old 27 mpg econobox commuter car dies (which could be any day now).

62 miles a day, a lot of it freeway miles, trims off a bunch of the BEVs, and soon-to-be BEVs that claim to have a range of "about 100 miles," but only if you tiptoe around at 35 mph. They may make it to work and back the first couple of years, but when the battery capacity degrades to 85%, I'd be looking pretty silly limping home on emergency power.

South Coast Electrics is a new company near me in Newport Beach that does electric conversions on replica Porsche Speedsters and Spyders, and also guts the Boxter to battery-fy it, but again, they aren't practical for my commute. Darned "100 mile range" again.

Hybrids are a possibility, but going from 27 to 40 mpg is where I have to begin looking before it makes sense for me.

The Tesla Roadster would be perfect - but ar $125,000+, I couldn't get it to pass the "wife" test.

The Tesla Model S blew my socks off. No range issues even at the base level 160 miles, seats for everyone, cool looks and nice interior with lots of goodies, and a (predicted) price that I can accept.

How can I say no?

--Ardie

It will be an amazing car. You might want to look at the 230 mile pack. With your driving, that would give you plenty of buffer to drive around once you got to work if you needed to. It sounds like the 160 mile pack might work too. It all depends on if they're basing the 160 mile pack off of standard or range mode. Since you don't want to charge in range mode every day, the 160 mile pack is more like 128 ideal miles and estimated miles would be a little lower than that. And as you said, with the battery decreasing over time, you'd have a larger buffer.

Yea, I think it is really the overall car. It's a balance of everything. I wouldn't buy an ugly car because it was "green" and I wouldn't buy a green car if it didn't perform or handle well.

I'm buying a Model S because it is great across the board, and affordable to boot.

I came precariously close to buying a used Aston Martin V8 Vantage this summer. I've owned Ferraris in the past, but it's been a while since I've had anything like that in my garage. My daily driver is an Audi S6 wagon, so the Aston would not have replaced anything. Then, by chance I heard about the June deliveries of the Model S. I took a closer look, and within two days had made up my mind to get on the reservation list. The Model S will both replace my aging S6 and give me the performance and looks I was looking for in the Aston. And needless to say, the Model S will be a lot less expensive to drive. In addition to it's looks and performance, I have to say that I just like the idea of the Model S. Driving the future. Pretty much every other car looks dated to me now, like a testament to an age gone by.

Last edited:
Song From The Outback (2012) (all rights reserved)

backup singers: (chant) "Range Range Range Range Range Range Range Range", etc
lead singer: "Tesla! Why don't you give us what we neeed? Perhaps these words you'll finally heeed? Oh Tesla!"

Last edited:
None of the above.

I'm getting it because I like how it drives and I like how much space it has. The fact that it is the first real car that is electric is a bonus.

I've been car shopping for years and I have been really unhappy with what has out on the market. Lots of bells and whistles but no real substance.

The Model S is the first car that I have come across that I am willing to give up my old car for. I'm excited about getting a new car for the first time in over a decade!
I've looked at cars that are supposed to be comparable to my current car but none of them quite met all my needs and/or they were outrageously expensive. To top it off, some of them were gas hogs when compared to my current car.

Tesla looks like the best value out there once I factor in the cost of fuel, and future maintenance and performance.

Model S will be our only car. House is well insulated and features a heat pump and 10kW solar array that will cover our complete energy requirements. Living and driving without local emissions+pollution - being net positive to the grid - what more can you ask for?

Yes I know: restore an acre of drained peat bog to sequester CO2 emitted by the products we use. I am working on this :biggrin:

I also bought it for many of the reasons above but also for the "Snob" factor. Yes, I will admit it. If I am going from my 99 Accord I am going to do it in a big way. It will be great to be a Sig red performance early adopter.

I also love the tech in it, the speed, the look, and that my solar panels will power it. This is also a life reality check. I usually would never spend this kind of money on a car. My sister died this year at 59. I am 55. I can afford it so I am going to do it. I want to have a very cool car. The S is it for me. Coffins don't have pockets.

On another front I believe in Elon and what he is trying to do. There are tons of people (companies) who want him to fail. I believe we have to stop buying oil from countries who want to kill us. I want to help spread the word that BEVs are here and viable. It will also be great driving by the gas stations here in California and no longer caring as much what the prices are doing.

Originally, I did not want to send oil money to the middle east. I think the eco/green and oil independence are very separate issues (politically left and right). I viewed the eco/green as "nice to have." After the spec's came out, the hi-tech/performance features moved ahead for me. Being a CA resident, made in the USA/JOBS would also be a big one for me.

While the BMW M5 has a base price of $89'900,- in the US, it has a base price of over $319'000,- in Norway, due to the extreme taxes we get charged at first time registration of a car... A "minimal configuration" 3-Series with just the bare essentials; Xenon headlamps and small navigation package (the rest standard), would cost me roughly $70'000,-.

As EVs are free'd from these one-time registration taxes, the Tesla Model S, is i Norway a pretty cheap car - it isn't threatened by competition at all.
So, by choosing this electric premium sedan, I get the best of two worlds - a (for me) cheap car to buy, with the same comforting luxury as a much more expensive vehicle.
Adding on that the savings of gas costs and its really a no brainer.

Out calculations show, that as of today we spend 6000 NOK on car financing/month, another 6000 NOK on fuel, followed by about 1500 in insurance and road tax.
With the tesla the financing will be (considering we don't know the european price yet, but giving an estimate of $80'000,- for a ok equipped 60kw model, it will cost me 4500 NOK /month, and 405 NOK / year in road tax. Insurance I am guessing will not be that much higher, so lets call it a flat 7-8000 NOK (- $1400,-) / month in total, means I have a net savings of 6000 NOK / month by switching to a Model S.

I got confirmation that my tax return is due this week (was expected in July, but were postponed), so I will pay for me reservation on Wednesday, and hopefully get my sought after Production number next week. Lets just hope I'll get my Model S before 2014 then... :)