Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Are You Not Cancelling Your Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*I like the car
*Pricing and options are similar to what i expected
*I've already waited since last April
*Barring a production disaster I should get some form of the rebate
*I need a new car badly
*I'd like to do my small part in reducing carbon emissions
*It's the best available ev by far
*That it's American made is a bonus
*That it's a big middle finger to the "big 3" and Germany is a bonus
*That it's a middle finger to oil/gas companies, their subsidiaries and dependents, lobbyists is a bonus
*That it's a middle finger to the climate deniers is a huge bonus
Sometimes I forget some of the reasons I want this car. I get too focused on money, and the fact I already have a car I like. But I really like reducing carbon emissions and giving the finger to big oil / climate change deniers, etc. I'm voting with my wallet. I suppose my next step would be to get solar panels.

I'm going to buy one either way because I believe in how he's handled things so far and I don't want to go back to ICE. Sadly we can't all throw around $60k+ either way this shakes out to support things. So most likely I am going to have to make some hard choices about addons. Personally keeping the payment at around $700 a month is the most I would go. So long range, choosing a color, Autopilot only, and Premium should put me there. Based on a lot of feedback from you great guys the extra $3k for full autonomous I'll hold on to. Not seeing that will happen in the next say 4-5 years, I will hold on to it and maybe just pay a little more whenever it is made available. And who knows what the car market will look like then.

Reactions: internalaudit
It's simple really:

There isn't a comparable car at the this price point.

I want an electric car with a range of 200 miles, what are my choices?

The Bolt....and a Model S/X.

Ok, scrap that, I want a car that has equivalent autopilot features to AP1

Wait, that is still just a tesla thing. There's a few "hands off" driving features on higher end luxury cars...but still well behind AP1 at last check.

I'm likely going to go with a first run + paint upgrade + EAP (I'm going to wait on FSD until it's been tested a bit). That's a pricepoint of 55k.

Now, I COULD go get a pre owned Model S with AWD and AP1 for AROUND the same price point (I've seen them as low as 58k, and per the pre owned service advisor, there will be many more coming in this fall). However, given that the Model 3 will get:

310 Miles Range
Potential for Full Self Driving in the future
Full federal EV Incentive.

To get a car:

-I'll never have to put gas in
-I can charge from home
-Has access to a wide high speed charging network
-Will be one of the safest cars you can buy

A base Model S is 69k

A base model 3 is 35k.

A Model S 75 with Premium package (5k), EHP (5k), paint (1k), leather seats (3.3K) is $83k
A Model 3 with Premium Package (5k), EHP (5k), Paint (1k), Leather seats (included in premium package) (46k)

Because:

1. I can't afford a Model S. Ever. Or not for the next 10 years at least (unless my salary drastically improves)
2. The Model 3 is the best EV one can buy other than a Model S or X
3. The Model 3 is an amazing car
4. The UK won't get it until 2019 any way - by that time, we'll have the benefit of better parts and hopefully lower option prices

Last edited:
The car unveiled last night is way too expensive and has a lot of question marks attached. Why not cancel? Because even though the Model 3 carries some real negatives for me, it's still better than the current competition. Not that "current" is important to me. I don't need another car now and the Model 3 situation may well change, or resolve, by the time that I'm asked to configure. I haven't sat in a Model 3 yet, haven't driven one yet, the features I want have not yet been unbundled from the features I have zero interest in yet, and so I'm happy to let the dice roll a while longer, and let them improve the product.
Robin

• Disagree
Reactions: Stirfelt and mhan00
I agree with this 100% Nowhere else can I get a 220 mile BEV with the same standard feature set. The only vehicle that one might try to compare is the Bolt, but it doesn't have SuperCharger access, doesn't have automatic emergency braking at the base model level, doesn't have the OPTION at ANY TIME to upgrade to Advanced AutoPilot or Fully Self Driving via a software unlock, and isn't stylish. Even discounting styling, those options are worth $10k in residual value.
On the $44k long range side, nowhere else can I get a 310 mile BEV, except another Tesla, but at a substantially higher price with the Model S.

So, yeah, keeping my reservation. You wouldn't find me in a Bolt, supporting a car company that wants to delay CAFE mpg increases and producing gas guzzlers, not to mention it's styling. My Leaf is hideous enough, I don't need two ugly cars.

Agree with your post except for one thing: I actually like the Bolt and was thinking about waiting to get one instead of opting for my current Volt. Also, the look of my old Leaf grew on me as I drove it, so I guess I disagree on two things

I'm not cancelling my reservation because, so far, I love the car. The exterior styling looks great to me, I've grown to love the interior after the initial shock wore off, and I love love love driving electric and 220 miles (or 310, since I'm one of those idiots dealers salivate over who have trouble not ticking every option, even if I don't strictly need them, you're welcome Jeff from Chevy) is plenty. I will need a test drive and to see some longer term reviews to see if I order - I need to know if the UI stays buttery smooth, delays could get very annoying, and if the smart phone connection works well since I would hate having to pull out my wallet every time to get into my car if the bluetooth connection is spotty), but for now I'm very eager and having to hold myself back from going for the 49k option.

With demand as hight as it is and supply very low why would any early reservation holders cancel?

I'm buying a loaded early car with the hope that if I absolutely hate it that I can sell with little depreciation. I bet the novelty of the new Model3 features will be enough to keep the car longer though.

Also the $7.5k credit is a huge bonus. Its much harder to find a used MS at a similar price point after taking in the federal tax credit.

Until last night I was 100% decided to buy. Now I'm on the fence. I had hoped the base model would have more features, but it looks like I would have to pay $5k for an upgrade to good sound, interior, etc. So I'll have to make some compromise either in price or features, or cancel at the last minute.
Your deposit does not expire, there is no "last minute". You can wait and see if Tesla add more feature/performance to the car in a year, just look at how often they add stuff to the MS.

Entry Level Model S

2013 .................................................... Today

Price*...........................................$69,500 ................................................ $69,500

EPA Range ..................................218 miles ..............................................249 miles
0-60 mph* ...................................5.5 seconds ..........................................4.3 seconds
Smart Air Suspension ............... option ($thousands) ............................ Included

Power Liftgate .............................option package items ......................... Included
Ambient Interior Lighting ........... part of a total package**
Nav w/real time traffic ............... cost ~$4.5K
HomeLink

Center Console ............................option ~$1K ........................................ Included

Active Safety Tech
-Collision Avoidance ........................all............................................................all
-Auto. Emergency Braking ..........unavailable........................................... Included
-other a.s.t.

Side Mirrors
-Power folding .................................all ..........................................................all
-auto dimming ........................... unavailable ........................................... Included
-heated

LED turning lights ..................... available (?) ......................................... Included

LED Fog Lights ......................... option.................................................... Included

Here's my point, limits to my TMC chart-making skills notwithstanding,

I was hoping for more range on the base model myself, but, I don't see Tesla's strategy as trying to game the public by offering as little as possible for as much as possible. Consider all the value added to the entry Model S over the past 4 years was without ANY competing long range EVs reaching the market in the Model S' class to date. That is, Tesla enhanced value by adding many many features, battery size, and improving performance for the same price, not because the market place required them to, but because with the passage of time, Tesla was able to add more capability to the Model S for less cost.

Similarly, in time, with the GF and Fremont reaching volume production (which means markedly lower costs for Tesla to produce the Model 3), it is all but certain that Tesla will offer more value because they will be able to. Producing an affordable EV that is compelling to as much of the market as possible is an ongoing process, and the tax incentives are there to help accelerate the process (yes, I realize not everyone qualifies for them, they are not perfect).

As I said, I was hoping myself for something like 240 miles of range for $35K, so I "feel that pain" some myself. If these specs are a deal breaker for anyone, that's their own call. Maybe you buy another car, or maybe you wait to see what kind of value Tesla will offer you in a couple of years. That said, I strongly sense that this is simply about the path to producing compelling mass market EVs being challenging, rather than Tesla trying to offer as little as possible for as much as possible.

* a few of these numbers on the 2013 Model S 60 are based off memory and may be slightly off.

** I'm not sure if all the parts of the original total package are now all included in the base vehicle.

For those complaining about 220 mi range, the original 60 had only 208 and people drove them all over the US with no or few Superchargers. For you guys complaining that you only drive 25 to 50 mi per day yet think you should be given 300 mi + range for $35000, you don't seem to need it! 220 is good for any trip on the Supercharger network A $450 CHAdeMO adapter will take care of the rest.

This will be the first car I will be test driving (as it's a non-essential and luxury purchase, at least for my household) in a long time so why cancel before I get the chance to get hooked? :)

The provincial incentive in Canada has not been cancelled.

There is no Bolt available ( not that I like the exterior styling) and I think getting a compliance BEV would be more excruciating compared to sticking to my reservation.

So far, no AWD BEV with a 220 mile range.

I am not even a Tesla fan myself but just being practical so I'm still a little concerned about long term reliability and this revenue neutral services that seem at the higher end.

No rush and its too much of a hassle. Can cancle anytime.

I will only cancle after I buy another car. Still sitting on the fence between used GTR, R8, and Tesla. Hard to pull the trigger on ICE since I'll lose HOV access in CA but at the same time EV may also lose HOV access in 2019 as well.

Just waiting now.

I want the car. It's still sexy. It looks better in its Production iteration than any previous version. I was never all-on on a HUD. I had budgeted for up to $80K, and it looks as if I'll be able to get what I want for significantly less.

While I was disappointed in the presentation, I was able to get most of my questions answered via Youtube videos and various media reviews.

Now, though.....I may not wait for AWD/Performance/Ludicrous.

If the current estimate is right, I'd MUCH rather have my car potentially before the end of this year, and just get winter tires.
:cool:

If I really HAVE to.....I'll drive the wife's Subie in really bad weather. :(

Reactions: ModelX
I'm keeping my options open. Will decide on new Model S or Model 3 when either FSD comes out and works reasonably well, or AP hardware update occurs with vastly improved auto-pilot functionality. Until then, I love driving my Model S bare-bones with AP1 car.