Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Are You With Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it makes you feel any better the car I need it for is MC Red so it likely wouldn't have solved my needs anyway. I woulda thrown that up on CL or fb Marketplace or something though as you'd be surprised what parts people are looking for. No sense throwing perfectly good parts in the landfill.
A little pricey but no tape or drilling required. might work for MS too.
SnapPlate Model 3 Removable Front License Plate Mount

I don't know about this statement about legacy brands, I do feel like they have been innovating for a long time. Look at the recent advances in headlight tech, suspension systems, convenience features, engine efficiency and power output. There are some areas they can improve on like OTA updates and touchless purchasing
Compare even a 2015 Tesla Model S to what manufacturers are making today and you will quickly see how much further along Tesla is in innovation even completely taking the EV v. ICE aspect out the equation.

....how much longer will I stay with Tesla....

I bought Tesla Model S in 2012 because it fit my needs and today, none other can. I'll leave Tesla when others can prove that they can compete someday.

I live in the middle of the way between the metropolitan areas of San Francisco/Sacramento and Los Angeles/San Diego so range and fast charging have been important for me.

2022 audi q4 e-tron rated for 250 miles while the new Model S rated at 412 miles so thinking about reducing my range with an Audi is a nonstarter for me.

Others have caught up with fast charge but the experience might not be that great:

Maybe I'll leave Tesla once the competitors can fix their fast charge into a seamless experience.

Since I need range for my long-distance, that means I got tired and that means I need Autopilot. Others are catching up but they are still not generalized enough while Autopilot can work almost everywhere.

So there's still hope for me to leave Tesla but not now because it's still a monopoly and none can catch up with Tesla.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Give it time. There's two types of Tesla owners: those who have been burned by the "customer service" support and those who haven't, yet.
I suppose. But also I think it depends on attitude at times. Not that I’m saying is t he case for you but probably for some.

Well going on 5 years and 60k miles and so far so good. Been burned by year 2 with other manufacturers.

If it makes you feel any better the car I need it for is MC Red so it likely wouldn't have solved my needs anyway. I woulda thrown that up on CL or fb Marketplace or something though as you'd be surprised what parts people are looking for. No sense throwing perfectly good parts in the landfill.
Yeah, I hear 'ya. Mine was blue, but I felt sure I'd hear from someone who needed it and I could ship it to them. I didn't want any money for it, was just trying to help anyone who might need it. It does seem that's how it goes though? You hold onto something for a few years and, after looking at it for those few years, decide to move it into the round filing cabinet. So, no worries, perhaps there's someone out there doing the same thing I was? Maybe you should ask?

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Aside from AP (which in 2015 was wayyyy ahead of its time) what else have Tesla innovated that is not available in modern EVs?
Charging network.

In car entertainment (which may not be important for some.)

Teslacam.

Seem to be very safe cars. (Which if this really is true and much better than others in this area, this is priceless. But I suspect other EVs with similar skateboard and frunk setup may be decent as well.)

We also don’t yet know how other manufacturers will hold up over time. Will be interesting to see.

Yes I never said legacy brands have a good network yet but for me and a lot of other buyers supercharging isn't a necessity. Where I live there are more and more 3rd party fast chargers being added daily
There are those out there that live and die by the SC. I'm not one of those, although I have lifetime free charging for as long as I own the car. That'll change sometime next year (pretty sure) when the plaid+ comes out. Then the SC network will be used as it was intended.......for taking trips.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
I'll never forget diesel-gate. My VW TDI was sitting in that lot for a long time... But VW's buyback paid for a big chunk of the Tesla.

We are an EV-only household. Leaf and Model S. The Leaf was our gateway car.

The Tesla is not perfect, but certainly suits most of our needs. Range and charging infrastructure have set the bar pretty high for the EV industry. And Tesla Solar was 1/3 cheaper than any other option, and we couldn't be happier driving two "solar powered" cars.

Up next, I'm looking at EV truck and SUV options. For now, I prefer the Rivian styling over other options. And as long as I'm not in a hurry, it seems like they're building out their charging infrastructure.

Charging network.

In car entertainment (which may not be important for some.)

We also don’t yet know how other manufacturers will hold up over time. Will be interesting to see.
Which is fair, neither of those are super important to me. What's more useful for me is better headlight tech, loose lug nut detection, dynamic seats with cooling and massage, soft close doors and so on. Goes to show the crazy amount of different requirements each buyer has. Those legacy automakers EVs will hold up for sure, they just won't fill the market needs that a Tesla buyer has. Instead they will offer a different feature set that you simply can't get in a Tesla.

There are those out there that live and die by the SC. I'm not one of those, although I have lifetime free charging for as long as I own the car. That'll change sometime next year (pretty sure) when the plaid+ comes out. Then the SC network will be used as it was intended.......for taking trips.
The SC network in the US is really dense and I can see why someone could live and die by it, but up in Canada its pretty spread apart. A lot of owners here do at home charging and use a mix of SC and third party chargers for long drives. I am not saying its not a huge plus for some but its not that much of a benefit for others

Which is fair, neither of those are super important to me. What's more useful for me is better headlight tech, loose lug nut detection, dynamic seats with cooling and massage, soft close doors and so on. Goes to show the crazy amount of different requirements each buyer has. Those legacy automakers EVs will hold up for sure, they just won't fill the market needs that a Tesla buyer has. Instead they will offer a different feature set that you simply can't get in a Tesla.
The ICE manufacturers will probably survive. But what we don’t yet know is how much their legacy business and dealer network will weigh them down.

Reactions: designrs
The ICE manufacturers will probably survive. But what we don’t yet know is how much their legacy business and dealer network will weigh them down.
They will keep going for a very very long time, since they are privately owned you have many other options if service is bad. Also because of that when it comes time to purchasing you can shop around for better deals. Since there are usually multiple dealerships for one brand around you, you don't have to drive very far for service. Until recent I had to drive an hour+ to take my MS for service which was a massive headache

Hey Everyone

I feel like every day I am seeing more and more compelling electric vehicles Being debuted. Which makes me ask, how much longer will I stay with Tesla. Then that brings me to, why am I with Tesla? My answer is mostly because of it being a fast, beautiful, electric vehicle. I hate everything about gas engines but the sound of accelerating. Do you think you will stick around with the new Audis continue to be produced? Lower priced options in the 3 range even. I personally don’t think that Tesla is so far ahead in the tech dept at all. It feels like the people who think that never came from a luxury car, even years ago.

Example... newest Audi.View attachment 653972
Audi's web site makes no mention of range. As this is their new entry level model, I anticipate no more range than the 222 EPA miles of the existing e-tron. Not good.

For me it is very much about the infotainment system and tech. Sure the others might have new headlight technology, 360 cameras and so on but if what you interact with is still the dumb old interfaces used for ages it doesn’t matter. Tesla basically has put a tablet with tablet OS in the car to bring it into modern times, Polestar 2 is getting there but Google is behind.

And lets face it, now that they updated the Model S it is good value when you compare it to the rivals.

They will keep going for a very very long time, since they are privately owned you have many other options if service is bad. Also because of that when it comes time to purchasing you can shop around for better deals. Since there are usually multiple dealerships for one brand around you, you don't have to drive very far for service. Until recent I had to drive an hour+ to take my MS for service which was a massive headache
What I mean by being weighed down is, can dealers still make enough from EV sales and service if there are no more ICE? Probably but may be painful.

Also I think another advantage Tesla has is their ramping up of manufacturing processes like single piece casting that will “hopefully” reduce cost to consumers as well. I think a lot of their innovations are related to battery production and manufacturing that we will really see the fruits of their labor over the next few years. Now if they would only spend 5 minutes looking over a car before delivery, that would help greatly for the people that deal with panel gaps or other easily fixed issues.

Reactions: pabla
For me it is very much about the infotainment system and tech. Sure the others might have new headlight technology, 360 cameras and so on but if what you interact with is still the dumb old interfaces used for ages it doesn’t matter. Tesla basically has put a tablet with tablet OS in the car to bring it into modern times, Polestar 2 is getting there but Google is behind.

And lets face it, now that they updated the Model S it is good value when you compare it to the rivals.
I mean have you used the newer brands infotainment displays, they are getting pretty good now. Even if you dont like the way they look you can plugin your phone and use Carplay or AndroidAuto for even more integrations than Tesla has.

The FL S is a great value, but now at that price range that its at there are other EVs that offer things that the MS can't offer and vice versa.

What I mean by being weighed down is, can dealers still make enough from EV sales and service if there are no more ICE? Probably but may be painful.

Also I think another advantage Tesla has is their ramping up of manufacturing processes like single piece casting that will “hopefully” reduce cost to consumers as well. I think a lot of their innovations are related to battery production and manufacturing that we will really see the fruits of their labor over the next few years. Now if they would only spend 5 minutes looking over a car before delivery, that would help greatly for the people that deal with panel gaps or other easily fixed issues.
Well said I do agree with that, Tesla has a huge up in their production and packaging. The interior space on an S is still unrivaled.

I guess with the banning of ICE car sales slowly coming up in some country, legacy makers will really have to start pushing EVs otherwise yes they will fall behind

Reactions: SO16