TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why aren't cars longer and skinnier for better payload:drag?

Discussion in 'Future Vehicles' started by UncaNed, Jul 29, 2018.

1. UncaNed

UncaNed Member

Why not design cars with more legroom, or even add a 4th row or more storage space in the back? Wouldn't that greatly increase the utility while barely increasing wind resistance? Wouldn't a more limo-like shape be much more efficient? So what am I overlooking? It would be great if my Model X had more second row legroom.

2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Small garages, street parking with demarcated spaces, short parking lot spaces, tight turns on narrow streets, not wanting to look like you're driving a mid-century land yacht...

• Like x 1
  3. UncaNed

UncaNed Member

What about not wanting your adult second and third row passengers' knees in their faces? It's a little tight in my X's 5-seater's second row, and another 8" vehicle length would make a 6 or 7 passenger car's second AND third rows quite roomy, a big plus in auto reviews. It's supposed to be an SUV, "U" for Utility. Even after adding 8" it's still shorter than vans and pickups that also park in demarcated spaces, short parking lot spaces and turn on narrow streets...

• Like x 1
  4. Graffi

Graffi Member

This, says the one who drives a full-sized Pick-up, with Quad-Cab, and Long Bed. Now @BluestarE3 I am not picking on you and I expect you to not have one, but I was thinking about my two Step-Sons that both have one of these, one a Toyota, the other a Dodge Ram 3500. I thought of them when reading your post.

I do enjoy a smaller vehicle, but have had a few experiences driving those Land Yachts, once even having to pull the 28 ft car carrier trailer. Even the extra size of the Model S took me some getting used to. Now, after 30,000 miles in our Tesla Model S 75D I do not even notice it's extra size. So if there was a Model X with an extra 2 to 3 feet of length I am sure whoever got one of them would eventually get used to driving it and even enjoy it.

5. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

Because our roads look like this:
    [​IMG]

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

They were back in the 1950's...

1.jpg

7. david_42

david_42 Member

Longer and skinnier also impact handling and not in a good way. Most people aren't all that concerned with the second or third row comfort.