TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Why Autopilot Is Hard

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Skotty, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Jun 27, 2013
    Kansas City, MO
    Be patient and careful with your autopilot, folks (be it Tesla or any other car company that tries to implement it). It's just software, and in the Tesla, I don't think it knows where you are going (yes, they could integrate it with the nav system assuming you have a destination set, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't do this at this time). It's still a baby and it stumbles on stairs and will probably try to put a spoon in an electrical outlet. It's also dependent on sensors that may have variations due manufacturing, vehicle assembly, and vehicle condition. It's also just a really difficult thing to do. I've tried to explain before that this is a really challenging thing to do, but I was reading the waitbutwhy blog on AI recently, and I think it explained it pretty well.

From the waitbutwhy blog post on AI:
  2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Apr 8, 2015
    Agreed. Autopilot != Autonomous driving.

Though many people don't see a clear line between the two.
  3. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The difficulty of this is further made apparent by the relative clumsiness of children during growth spurts when their brains must re-calibrate those compound motions to work with limbs that have changed dimensions.