Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why? Because FITMENT!!!! :o)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These cars are RIPE for customization. Why? Why not? :)
FYI:
TSW Vale 20x8.5, +35 offset
Bora 25mm spacers (front)
Bora 30mm spacers (rear)

Spacer-20190404a.jpg

Spacer-20190404b.jpg

Spacer-20190404d.jpg

Spacer-20190404c.jpg

Spacer-20190404e.jpg

No rubbing?

No rubbing at drive height except at wheel lock in both directions. The tread of the tire rubs the vent in the front of the wheel well. Terrible sound but I'm rarely at wheel lock. I'll do what I've done on other cars and affix an 1/8" sheet of ABS plastic in the spot where it rubs so that it makes no sound.

• Informative
Reactions: AMPd
No rubbing at drive height except at wheel lock in both directions. The tread of the tire rubs the vent in the front of the wheel well. Terrible sound but I'm rarely at wheel lock. I'll do what I've done on other cars and affix an 1/8" sheet of ABS plastic in the spot where it rubs so that it makes no sound.
Thank you, I’d love to get spacers and get a nice flush look. Just worried about rubbing

Thank you, I’d love to get spacers and get a nice flush look. Just worried about rubbing

Of course, it all depends on offset, diameter and vehicle height. Don't take my advice here but one way we used to test our spacer sizes is to get a bunch of washers to put on studs and mount the wheel over them. We'd ride down the street to see how things fit then we'd go with the biggest spacer we could based on the number of washers that had the best fit. Ridiculous I know, but we were kids. :)
It seems that I remember reading that someone else on this site had 30mm spacers, or maybe even 35mm but I don't remember what their wheel offset was.

Reactions: SCW-Greg and AMPd
Your car looks good @tsmithlxix, but since you pose the question why not, the reason I wouldn't do that is because most of my km's are done on the highway, and I would wager at 120km/h your car would use 15% more range than mine. If you spend most of your miles driving around the city at lower speeds of course it is a non-issue. Debating painting my cyclones black, or maybe a dark silver, but I'll stick with my cyclones. Boring, I know.

Love your DIY bags by the way.

Your car looks good @tsmithlxix, but since you pose the question why not, the reason I wouldn't do that is because most of my km's are done on the highway, and I would wager at 120km/h your car would use 15% more range than mine.

A 15% loss of range is a pretty bold wager that I might take you up on especially since you’re going into it knowing nothing about a person’s driving style, commute, etc. FYI, I average about 30 – 35K MILES annually (~150mi daily commute) at a cruise speed of typically 75mph. Unfortunately, it’s a tough bet to take because it would currently be hard for me to provide any data for comparison. Since the car was only recently bagged and had new wheels installed, the weather has also taken a turn for the better, so my range has drastically improved regardless of the new additions. (Recently, went back to 80% charge from FULL nightly charge. Cold weather puts a beating on that Tesla battery.) Also, it may be hard to compile comparable date because I worked on the charging system (while it was installed on the car) for the air bag setup for about 3 months prior to installing the air bags and I can’t provide any info on any range loss that may have occurred during that testing or that the charging system may be causing. Anecdotally though, from the time that I purchased the car to now, I know I haven’t lost 15% of my range.

Debating painting my cyclones black, or maybe a dark silver, but I'll stick with my cyclones. Boring, I know.

Paint or no paint, I’m sure they look great. Whether or not it’s boring to someone else should have no affect on how YOU feel about them. Curious, would you paint them or PlastiDip them?

Love your DIY bags by the way.

Thanks. :)

A 15% loss of range is a pretty bold wager that I might take you up on especially since you’re going into it knowing nothing about a person’s driving style, commute, etc....

Well its not about you vs. me, it is about the rotating mass and aerodynamics. It is commonly reported/accepted that a 21" vs. a 19" wheel on a model S can yield a range difference of about 10%, taking into the account the quality of rubber that is typical on the 21's (Pilot SS) compared to the efficient Michelin MXM4's.

I know you have 20", not the 21", so not quite 10%, but looking at those wheels it is not hard to assume they are not as streamlined as a slipstream, cyclone or the 21" turbines.

Additionally the amount of efforts Tesla has done in wind tunnels to get the model S at a coefficient of drag of 0.24 is extensive, and the size and position of the wheels has a lot to do with that. When you move it outwards you not only move it away from the deflectors on the front diffuser designed to flow the air around the front wheel, but the wheel it self is moved outwards which will no doubt increase the turbulance and disrupt airflow along the whole side of the car.

But it would be an interesting to see the coefficient of drag difference between those wheels and a 19" cyclone.

Digital Wind Tunnel Video Shows Aerodynamics Of Tesla Model S

EPA documents show how wheel size affects Model S/X consumption. : teslamotors

...But it would be an interesting to see the coefficient of drag difference between those wheels and a 19" cyclone.

I'm aware of Tesla's wind tunnel testing and the effort they put into wheel design and wheel placement. No, it isn't me vs you. I guess in this case it's me vs Tesla. I purchased the Tesla and built MY car with the aesthetics that I like. If someone from Tesla is listening in and wants to test the drag coefficient of my car the way it's set up, at different heights, that would be great. I'd take that information and "maybe" use the height setting with the best results as my new preset for highway driving. But more than likely, probably not.

Not ridiculous nonsense, personal choice; but sorry, missed responding to that question.
I am not familiar with plastidip. Heard about it but not sure what it is. This second set of cyclones I have were already refurbished; and they didn't do a very good job. I will remove the clear and paint and refill them properly, and was planning on painting and clearing them, but I will look up plastiDip. Powdercoating is probably the best, but not sure if it is worth the cost.

... but I will look up plastiDip. Powdercoating is probably the best, but not sure if it is worth the cost.

Powdercoating is definitely the way to go if you're going for BEST. PlastiDip can range from GOOD to BETTER depending on the application. Then it also gives you the ability to remove it to try a different color if desired. Might be something to play around with on the second set of cyclones.