Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3 (or whatever it is called now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the reason behind pre-ordering a Signature edition. Beyond that we know that Tesla will prioritize fully-equipped cars no matter when you put a deposit. So, would it be easier to go ahead and order Model S instead. The difference in price between a top of the line Model 3 and Model S 70D should not be that big.

Your reservation most likely will affect the delivery of your car in relations to others who order similarly equipped cars as you. Yes, an early reservation doesn't guarantee you get your car first, but it WILL most likely get you your car sooner than if you waited to reserve. It's all relative.

Reactions: RAW84 and Zarwin
Then why not to order Model S 70D today? It will cost about the same (likely)

Aha. You're trying to play jedi mind tricks on me. It was you who started the thread, with the premise of "why bother", remember? You're begging the question buddy.

The reason to order, of which a subset is to preorder, a Model 3 is presumably because you want to own a Model 3. What on earth does buying a Model S have to do with that?

Your reservation most likely will affect the delivery of your car in relations to others who order similarly equipped cars as you. Yes, an early reservation doesn't guarantee you get your car first, but it WILL most likely get you your car sooner than if you waited to reserve. It's all relative.

Exactly, if you want a Model 3 then reserving will mean you get it earlier than if you don't reserve it regardless of what you are ordering. People get so caught up in when other people get it, but what does that matter (except for the tax break, but even then there is no guarantee, and reserving gives you a better chance at the tax break than not reserving it, regardless of what you are ordering)?

Then why not to order Model S 70D today? It will cost about the same (likely)

I have a Model S. I don't want it. I want to buy a Model 3 and sell the Model S because it's way too big a car.

Reactions: Sudre
I've heard "Why Model 3 and not Model S" a ridiculous number of times. The answer for us is because my husband hates driving a large car. He will drive our Model S but mostly avoids it because it is simply too big for his taste. Why reserve? To get it as soon as possible.
I see your reason. And it's not about Model 3 vs Model S.
Point is, that reserving a signature edition will truly get your husband into Model 3 quicker. Otherwise, the delay is negligible (couple of month vs year - year and a half till Model 3 will go in production).

• Disagree
Reactions: TMS
I understand the reason behind pre-ordering a Signature edition. Beyond that we know that Tesla will prioritize fully-equipped cars no matter when you put a deposit. So, would it be easier to go ahead and order Model S instead. The difference in price between a top of the line Model 3 and Model S 70D should not be that big.
The price difference will be huge as it will be a more modest car. I am preordering to show my support for Tesla and Electric cars and to get ahead of everyone else that will want one when they come out. I am willing to wait to see exactly what Tesla will deliver as no-one will know that for years, but I bought my Model S sight unseen, and I love it.

Our original intent was to wait for the Model 3, but aging ICE cars meant we needed to buy something. The 70D introduction was the first tesla that made sense to us for price and range. (85 was too expensive, 60 not enough range, 70 good range for much less than 85.)

I would have another S or even an X if money was no object. Unfortunately the husband doesn't agree. ;) The S is a HUGE car - the 3 is more in line with cars we would have normally.

If the S with few options meets your needs then go for it. But most people want a few options and not everyone wants such a big car.