TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3 (or whatever it is called now)

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by cfttester, Mar 18, 2016.

1. cfttester

cfttester Member

I understand the reason behind pre-ordering a Signature edition. Beyond that we know that Tesla will prioritize fully-equipped cars no matter when you put a deposit. So, would it be easier to go ahead and order Model S instead. The difference in price between a top of the line Model 3 and Model S 70D should not be that big.

• Dislike x 3
  2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

They won't do signatures for Model 3. The reason to preorder is if you know you'll be getting a highly optioned car and want it ASAP.

• Like x 1
  3. MiamiNole

MiamiNole Member

Your reservation most likely will affect the delivery of your car in relations to others who order similarly equipped cars as you. Yes, an early reservation doesn't guarantee you get your car first, but it WILL most likely get you your car sooner than if you waited to reserve. It's all relative.

• Like x 2
  4. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

I've heard "Why Model 3 and not Model S" a ridiculous number of times. The answer for us is because my husband hates driving a large car. He will drive our Model S but mostly avoids it because it is simply too big for his taste. Why reserve? To get it as soon as possible.

• Like x 6
  5. cfttester

cfttester Member

Then why not to order Model S 70D today? It will cost about the same (likely)

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  6. SMSMD

SMSMD Member

Good Idea...JUST DO IT

7. cfttester

cfttester Member

But you will be emotionally invested into this car while so many alternatives are coming to the market.

• Dislike x 1
  8. Johan

Aha. You're trying to play jedi mind tricks on me. It was you who started the thread, with the premise of "why bother", remember? You're begging the question buddy.

The reason to order, of which a subset is to preorder, a Model 3 is presumably because you want to own a Model 3. What on earth does buying a Model S have to do with that?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  9. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Exactly, if you want a Model 3 then reserving will mean you get it earlier than if you don't reserve it regardless of what you are ordering. People get so caught up in when other people get it, but what does that matter (except for the tax break, but even then there is no guarantee, and reserving gives you a better chance at the tax break than not reserving it, regardless of what you are ordering)?

I have a Model S. I don't want it. I want to buy a Model 3 and sell the Model S because it's way too big a car.

• Like x 1
  10. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

What alternatives besides the Chevy Bolt?

11. cfttester

cfttester Member

I see your reason. And it's not about Model 3 vs Model S.
    Point is, that reserving a signature edition will truly get your husband into Model 3 quicker. Otherwise, the delay is negligible (couple of month vs year - year and a half till Model 3 will go in production).

• Dislike x 1
  12. Johan

No sigs for Model 3. From the horse's mouth.

13. cfttester

cfttester Member

New Leaf, likely Infinity based on Leaf. I would not be surprised to see an updated i3 before Model 3 will become available. Maybe new MB B-Class

• Dislike x 2
  14. ggenge

ggenge Member

The price difference will be huge as it will be a more modest car. I am preordering to show my support for Tesla and Electric cars and to get ahead of everyone else that will want one when they come out. I am willing to wait to see exactly what Tesla will deliver as no-one will know that for years, but I bought my Model S sight unseen, and I love it.

15. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

None of those will use the Supercharger network so I have no interest.

• Like x 6
  16. cfttester

cfttester Member

Chances are that Model 3 will not get free charging on Supercharger network. Plus, other EVs has there own fast charging options.
    But trues is that other EVs will not have Tesla in name or a letter from the word SEX :)

• Dislike x 3
  17. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

I now see you have an agenda so this will be my last response to you.

• Like x 6
  18. cfttester

cfttester Member

The price diff between the cheapest Model S and the most expensive is around $40k. So, it's is possible that a cheap Mod S will be cheaper then Model 3 P70D++ :)

• Dislike x 3
  19. cfttester

cfttester Member

Sorry, I was trying to build a joke around the fact that you picked one of many features and trying to build the whole decision to buy Mod 3 around it.

• Dislike x 1
  20. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

Our original intent was to wait for the Model 3, but aging ICE cars meant we needed to buy something. The 70D introduction was the first tesla that made sense to us for price and range. (85 was too expensive, 60 not enough range, 70 good range for much less than 85.)

I would have another S or even an X if money was no object. Unfortunately the husband doesn't agree. ;) The S is a HUGE car - the 3 is more in line with cars we would have normally.

If the S with few options meets your needs then go for it. But most people want a few options and not everyone wants such a big car.

• Like x 2