Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3 (or whatever it is called now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to clarify: transferable to a different model Tesla - not to a different person.
Yes, my bad. I will edit my post to clarify. The reservation agreement (paragraph 6) makes it clear that the reservation is not transferable/assignable to another person without written approval from Tesla.

EDIT - No edit on the prior post - edit window has closed. Maybe a mod can change my prior post and change "refundable/transferable" to "refundable or transferable to a Model S or Model X". Thanks.

At the risk of bumping this seemingly pointless troll thread, Tesla has confirmed that Model 3 reservation deposits are fully refundable/transferable:

Model 3 Reservation Deposit
I'm not a lawyer, so this statement doesn't make sense to me:
"At the time you enter into the Purchase Agreement, you may, at your sole option, notify us that you would like to take your Reservation Payment and apply it toward your order payment. These procedures may be subject to change."

If the procedures can change, does that mean we may not be able to apply the Reservation Payment toward the order payment?

At the risk of bumping this seemingly pointless troll thread, Tesla has confirmed that Model 3 reservation deposits are fully refundable/transferable:

Model 3 Reservation Deposit
Did you ever asked yourself a question - why Tesla reservation setup in a way, when they get your money, yet promise literally nothing, except they will return your deposit? They could start taking deposits right before they could start building your car as everybody else including GM by the way.
By the way, it could be useful to ask somebody, who know the corp bankruptcy process about a priority of a deposit.

I don't plan on reserving at all. Giving what we know how production will roll out I have no problem patiently waiting until 2019 (most likely) before I get my model 3. Being in the southeast I'd imagine I'd be last priority in the reservation queue. I may be in the minority but I'm perfectly fine waiting.

Did you ever asked yourself a question - why Tesla reservation setup in a way, when they get your money, yet promise literally nothing, except they will return your deposit? They could start taking deposits right before they could start building your car as everybody else including GM by the way.
By the way, it could be useful to ask somebody, who know the corp bankruptcy process about a priority of a deposit.
They accept deposits and reservations to gauge demand. The same reason many start-ups (and some not start-ups) put projects on indiegogo and kickstarter. Deposits show interest and allow the company to arrange for supplies and gear up production based on that demand. Also, I expect a huge number of advance orders for the Model 3 to raise awareness for the company, and that's a good thing all around.

BTW, I consider the odds of Tesla going belly up before the Model 3 comes out about as likely as SpaceX not putting a rocket on Mars by 2025: slim to none.

And you only reinforce why this is a pointless troll thread.

OK, I'll play your game (just once) - did you ever asked (sic) yourself a question - would my thread be better if I actually made a point, rather than spouting useless, backhanded, passive aggressive BS? What is the point of your diatribe, man?

And yes, I'm fully aware of what would happen to my deposit in a bankruptcy. I'm not worried.

That's it, I'm done here. Have fun, Mr Passive Aggressive...

I'll be really surprised if that's the case.
Frankly it is hard to imagine it won't be that way for me, simply because that is the typical price range of a given car model in the entry-level-luxury category and on up. Even with smaller cars the range between, say, the cheapest Ford Focus at $17,275 and the most expensive at $35,900 (both base prices) still shows the top-of-the-line at double the cheapest, and options within the top are nearly always more extensive and more expensive than at the bottom. Decades of doing this professionally have taught me that the chest usually is around 40% or so of the most expensive fully decked out option. Today it is even more so as some technological options are proportionately more expensive than they used to be, and the higher capacity battery options are also likely to be premium priced.

I appreciate your skepticism but take a look of the model range realities. Tesla will want everything it can get from those who will pay. And why should they do otherwise? The real proof for smaller cars is the increasing number of people who want smaller physical size with everything they find in larger sizes.

Did you ever asked yourself a question - why Tesla reservation setup in a way, when they get your money, yet promise literally nothing, except they will return your deposit?

Let me point out the obvious to you: When placing a monetary deposit for anything in this world, the most you are ever 'promised' is the return of your deposit. Sometimes, though, that deposit isn't refundable so ultimately you could get even less than Tesla is offering. *Now is the moment when you slap yourself in the forehead and realize your anger has gotten the better of you. You then decide that your foolishness needs to stop because it's not healthy, and there's a lot more important things in life.*

They could start taking deposits right before they could start building your car as everybody else including GM by the way.

Yes Tesla could do that, but clearly they are not. Just as we could all put you on ignore, but we don't for a variety of reasons. So, feel free to wander over to one of the GM enthusiast forums and encourage people to line up outside of GM dealerships on March 31st and put a deposit down on a Bolt.

It could also be useful to ask somebody, who knows the psychiatry field.

Reactions: Jaff
I appreciate your skepticism but take a look of the model range realities. Tesla will want everything it can get from those who will pay. And why should they do otherwise? The real proof for smaller cars is the increasing number of people who want smaller physical size with everything they find in larger sizes.

This is a possibility, but that's old school thinking. I think it's much more likely that Tesla wants to give as much value to the Model ≡ to...wait for it...accelerate the adoption of sustainable transport. With that in mind, it makes far more sense for Tesla to option the base Model ≡ in a most attractive way and get as many people in it for that base price thus achieving their final goal.

Yes, you'll have to pay for a bigger battery and AWD and leather (I mean vegan) upholstery, but I think there's going to be good bang for your buck in the base model because that makes the most sense in regards to Tesla.

Reactions: EinSV
They accept deposits and reservations to gauge demand. The same reason many start-ups (and some not start-ups) put projects on indiegogo and kickstarter. Deposits show interest and allow the company to arrange for supplies and gear up production based on that demand. Also, I expect a huge number of advance orders for the Model 3 to raise awareness for the company, and that's a good thing all around.
Deposits or not they already investing heavily in expansion (Giga and other Mega factories). Expectation-wise I don't think TM will manage to bite-off more then 10% of US sales of 3 series. So, we are talking about 30-40k reservations. Conversion rate is another big unknown, which likely will depend on how long will it take to start producing Mod 3 in a reasonable numbers.

BTW, I consider the odds of Tesla going belly up before the Model 3 comes out about as likely as SpaceX not putting a rocket on Mars by 2025: slim to none.
I'm not so pessimistic about the TM future :). But I have to remind all the guys who are putting down a deposit, that TM bonds had a junk status once, back in 2014. And this means a substantial chance of default.

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jaff and TMS
This is a possibility, but that's old school thinking. I think it's much more likely that Tesla wants to give as much value to the Model ≡ to...wait for it...accelerate the adoption of sustainable transport. With that in mind, it makes far more sense for Tesla to option the base Model ≡ in a most attractive way and get as many people in it for that base price thus achieving their final goal.

Yes, you'll have to pay for a bigger battery and AWD and leather (I mean vegan) upholstery, but I think there's going to be good bang for your buck in the base model because that makes the most sense in regards to Tesla.
Tesla needs to make money in order to change the world. They offer the base models to encourage adoptions, but for them, as for others, the base models are marginally profitable but do give scale and absorb overhead.

Profitability for a public company is not "old school". It is a fundamental part of being able to remain a going concern, and encourage the broader objectives that many of us share. The "most sense" for Tesla is to sell the most heavily optioned models to anyone who'll pay, thus subsidizing those who cannot or will not pay.