Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3 (or whatever it is called now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know for sure that base Mod 3 will have fast charging support?
Likely, given that all current Teslas do. The Leaf does. Leaving it off would be a mistake as it costs them nothing given their current charging system. Chademo adapter is $500 on current cars.

DCFC support and unlimited Supercharger access are different things, though. Enabling supercharger access is a software thing which Tesla may or may not charge for on the Model 3. This might be something they mention at the launch event (or it might not, since DCFC access is assumed). I think they will also announce on 3/31 whether SC access will be included in the base model or not. But honestly, they might not. They may only reveal those details much closer to actual production. Details on Model X production options pricing weren't revealed until November of last year.

But then why risk your money if you could simply order Mod 3 when it will become available? Best case you will get it 3 month faster...
You really have this all figured out it seems. So if the Model 3 is a hit and there are tens of thousands or maybe 1-2 hundred thousand reservations by launch date you think Tesla will deliver all those reservations in 3 months to get you your car ordered on launch day?

The Gen 2 prototype has 60kwh battery. Likely they will have 40kwh too. But again, this is not a point of this thread. You could start your own, something like - Leaf Gen 2, Model 3, or Honda HA-420, what is the better choice for cross country rides? (again a sarcasm emoticon).
I haven't seen Nissan make any official announcements about a 200 mile range Leaf. And the 60 kWH battery wasn't in a Leaf but in the IDS prototype. Did I miss an announcement? Do you have a link?

You don't have to travel across the country on your EV just because Elon did that. You can buy an airplane ticket or rent a ICE for this once-in-a-lifetime trip. So, "connected" fast charging network could be a false goal.
On top of that a maximum power output of a CHAdeMO charger is just twice lower then maximum output of Supercharger. IRL it's even more complicated.
So "twice lower" seems to be an inflated way of saying it is half the power? Very nice.

Reactions: Petra
Chances are that Model 3 will not get free charging on Supercharger network. Plus, other EVs has there own fast charging options.

Truly sounds like an agenda. Sounds to me like you are trying to steer people away from reserving a Model 3 until after the reveal for some kind of unknown agenda.

Please produce a quote from Elon or Tesla that in anyway supports your lack of supercharging statement.
It's complete hearsay and not base on any facts except a preconceived notion that Tesla can't afford it.
To me chances are supercharging will be free and for life like their other products. If anything it will cost an extra 2K or less to add the feature.

Why would Elon offer the supercharging network to the competition under the same guidelines and not offer it for his own cars?

(edit) I also wanted to add that the other manufacturers have NO other fast charging solution. They have an option for you to use a third party charging system that they may have at the dealerships if the dealership is open and if the dealership moves the other cars out of the way so you can use it. Other than that you will be stuck with L1 and maybe L2 charging in 99% of the USA.

If anything it will cost an extra 2K or less to add the feature.
Would you agree that $2000 is not exactly free? Yes, TMC will likely add it as an option for some reasonable price.

(edit) I also wanted to add that the other manufacturers have NO other fast charging solution. They have an option for you to use a third party charging system that they may have at the dealerships if the dealership is open and if the dealership moves the other cars out of the way so you can use it. Other than that you will be stuck with L1 and maybe L2 charging in 99% of the USA.
Manufacturers of all appliances I have at home don't have there own power supplying system. They all expect that I have a STANDARD plug on the wall. So, I don't see why EV manufacturer should have it's own proprietary charging network.
And, by the way, what EV model do not have L2 charging option?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TMS
In that case the Model S and Model X are not free. They are just pre-added to the cost of the car.
I am not concerned about the pre-added cost to cars. I don't want to pull up to a supercharger and have my credit card not work for whatever reason and be suck there,

My point is quite simple - before considering to put a deposit for Mod 3 you should check Model X forum for the current experience with reservation process at Tesla Motors (70D Model X Delivery Start for example). A lot of folks, who ordered cars in the lover price range are quite unhappy after waiting for two years and then for one more year and ... apparently for one more year again.

But then why risk your money if you could simply order Mod 3 when it will become available? Best case you will get it 3 month faster...

Official disclaimer (since it was brought up a couple of times) - I don't have any stock or option position in Tesla Motors or plans to take one.

No matter what you say about your position (or the lack of it) in TSLA, actions speak much louder than words.

Most people are rational and seek some rational explanation for the actions of others. Your actions here - starting controversial thread with a title that does not make sense to majority here and that includes dismissive phrase 'whatever' when referring to Tesla Model 3 name, continually trying to down talk the ordering process, and you want us to believe that all that hard work is because of concern for financial well-being of Model 3 reservation holders, in respect of loss of interest on $1000, which is most likely pocket money for most people here?

That simply does not make sense, hence, people question your motivations. Often, when motivations are not quite agreeable they are publicly denied but nevertheless transparent to all, because the actions that signal these underlying motivations are undeniable.

I find it hard to believe that you believe that you have a chance of succeeding in whatever your purpose is in coming here. It strikes me as some kind of desperation, coming here and continually talking down most things Tesla.

Last edited:
Stop feeding the troll. Just stop.

I doubt there are many trolls on TMC. The definition of an internet troll is "a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, often for their own amusement." TMC community is remote from the usual troll demographics, reducing the likelihood of trolling. I doubt op started this thread so he could be amused.

We seem to get people with the hidden agenda (TSLA shorts or other parties whose interests are in direct opposition to Tesla's success) coming to TMC and trying to sway TMC members to their agenda, whatever that might be. I find that different to trolling as the posting purpose is different.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBoylan and GSP
We seem to get people with the hidden agenda (TSLA shorts or other parties whose interests are in direct opposition to Tesla's success) coming to TMC and trying to sway TMC members to their agenda, whatever that might be. I find that different to trolling as the posting purpose is different.

First of all - thank you.
Second - it's quite interesting, that the most obvious reason i.e. pissed-off customer, alludes you.

• Disagree
Reactions: TMS and Jaff
First of all - thank you.
Second - it's quite interesting, that the most obvious reason i.e. pissed-off customer, alludes you.

Ah, so now you admit your motive, you're a pissed off customer who wants to somehow hurt Tesla by spreading FUD. You haven't brought any data that any of us are unaware of, you just keep arguing against everyone that they simply should not put their money down for a Model 3, but, again, you provide nothing at all that we don't already know. Sorry, it's not going to work, we don't need your advice, warnings, concerns, or whatever else you want to pretend you are providing us. Your methods were quite transparent, and now your motives are obvious. FUD is FUD, no matter from whence it comes. You might try spreading it on Seeking Alpha or the Yahoo message boards, it's not going to work here, we know too much about the subject.

• Disagree
Reactions: houdini and GSP
Ah, so now you admit your motive, you're a pissed off customer who wants to somehow hurt Tesla by spreading FUD.
I was not really hiding the fact I had Mod X reservation.

You haven't brought any data that any of us are unaware of, you just keep arguing against everyone that they simply should not put their money down for a Model 3, but, again, you provide nothing at all that we don't already know.
I hope it's a royal "We". Because, I doubt you really have enough ground to speak for more then yourself.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: TMS